- Text Size +
Story Notes:
No copyright infringement intended.  Just love the show.

*I'm not sure if Pam's dad already has a name.  Either way -- I named him something different. Sue me. ;-)

 

Man to Man

 

Jim scratched the back of his head and bit his lip as he made his way into the kitchen.  He glanced over at the sink to find her usually crusty oatmeal bowl, completely washed and dried.

 

Bribery...Jim thought, tugging at the hem of his gray t-shirt.

 

"Pam left early."

 

Jim turned at the sound of Bill's voice.  Pam's father sat hunched over his bowl of cereal, looking like he'd been run over by about 10 trucks.

 

"Yeah," Jim said blandly as he sat down next to Bill, pouring himself a helping of cereal into the bowl that Pam had already set out for him. 

 

The domestic goddess was laying it on a little thick this morning.  As if her leaving for work separately from him hadn't been enough reminder of his mission. As if her cuddling up behind him last night in bed, saying ‘please' hadn't been enough to push him over the edge. 

 

He'd only wished she'd been begging for something else.  Though truth be told she definitely wouldn't have had to beg for that.

 

No, her begging had been in regards to talking to her dad.  "Just listen," she'd said. "That's all I ask...please."

 

As much as Jim wanted to have Pam all to himself again, he wasn't sure he was going to be able to swing this.  Glancing at him now, the guy looked so...hopeless.

 

Come on Jim.  You looked hopeless once too.  Once, twice...maybe three times.

 

Ok. That's where you start.

 

"Got any plans today?" Jim mumbled around a mouthful of flakes.

 

Bill shook his head solemnly. "Try and maybe gather some things from the house...I can't exactly keep moochin' from you guys, can I?  Probably should get my own shaving cream...Hell, maybe I'll just go shopping.  I can't take the chance on her being there yet...not today."

 

‘Her' was Pam's mom, Melinda.  A truly, truly lovely lady who Jim couldn't imagine Bill wanting to leave...but who knew what went on inside of a relationship, right?

 

God...

 

"Well...I actually only have to shave like once a year so...it's really not a big deal."

 

Bill chuckled.

 

"Maybe when I grow up I can be a little bit more mountainey like you..." Jim said dragging his fingers over his own scruff.  He grinned.

 

Bill shook his head with a slight smirk. "Yeah...I'm definitely telling Pam to rethink things."

 

Jim smiled wide. It was really nice being able to joke around with Pam's dad.  It was sort of amazing how quickly they'd taken to each other.  He remembered how nervous he'd been the first time they'd met.  The four of them had gone out to dinner for Melinda's birthday.  The theory had been, that because Pam's mom already liked Jim and had told Bill so, Bill would be on his best behavior...because his wife liked Jim.

 

Pam's theory had turned out to be correct...but unnecessary. The two men had gotten on famously right from the start.

 

A quiet moment passed before Bill looked at him and said soberly, "I'm glad she has you Jim."

 

Jim bit his lip. "Thanks...I...She's.............I can't imagine not being with her. Or...wait," he said shaking his head. "I can imagine not being with her," Jim said, with an awkward smile. "Never want to go back there again."

 

Bill looked tiredly out of the window in front of them.  The snow from the night before was beginning to melt.  "I'm sure you won't."

 

Jim licked his lips anxiously. "What if..." he shook his head, unable to get the words out quite right.  A part of him ached for this guy.  Not just because it was a sad thing, what was happening with him and his wife...but because the thought of not being with the one person who you knew you were meant to be with, made his chest physically ache.

 

How could you do it?  How could you have this, Jim thought glancing around his house - their house - at the evidence of Pam on the walls and the new taupe carpet in the living room...How could you have all of this and then suddenly be ready to give it all up? Just like that!

 

He didn't understand. 

 

Intellectually he got it. Of course...marriages failed...But...

 

Hell, maybe it was just too new for him.  Maybe this feeling of complete and utter...completeness was just a silly cliché that could melt away just like the snow outside.  The dull ache in his chest sharpened at that thought and he knew it couldn't be.  That couldn't ever happen.

 

"You know, when Pam...when Pam and I got together...ok, I'm just gonna out myself here - I bought her engagement ring about a week after we started dating."

 

Bill looked up with wide eyes.

 

"I know. I know...it's crazy.  Totally stalkeresque and just...weird.  But when you know, you just know...and I felt like I had known for so long.  There's never been any doubt in my mind that she was the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with...ever. I mean...I knew the difference between what I wanted and what I knew the reality was...and I gave up on what I wanted for awhile...but inside," Jim said pausing. "Inside I always knew she was the one."

 

Bill smiled softly. "How'd you know?"

 

Jim thought for a moment. "Everything about her...I mean...even now - the second she walks into a room I'm happier than I was just a minute before...and I know times get tough and things get hard...and we're gonna have...stuff...I know that...but even when we're fighting...I don't know, it's like I'd rather fight with her any day, than laugh with anyone else...You know?" Jim added. A part of him really wanted Bill to answer his rhetorical question.

 

He had to know right? He had to have felt that feeling before...at some point?  Didn't he still feel that way now?  Didn't he want it back?

 

Bill glanced out the window again and Jim couldn't read his expression.  He still looked completely beat down...but resolute.

 

"Yeah, Jim I think I'm going to go get those things from my house...Will you tell Pam I'll call her later?"

 

"Yeah," Jim said watching as Bill rose from the table.  He tried not to get excited but, this had to be a good sign right?

 

He's not mentioning shopping or needing to avoid his wife...Good, good...

 

"No worries...oh yeah just leave that bowl," Jim said wanting him to get going before he changed his mind. "I'll take care of that."

 

Bill smiled. "You're a good guy Jim...I'm really, truly happy for my daughter."

 

"Well...I'm the lucky one for sure..." Jim said standing up to take their dishes to the sink. His hands shook. 

 

He'd have to be careful not to say anything to Pam once he got to the office...but maybe...just maybe they'd made some progress.

 

"Good luck Bill..."

 

"Yeah. Thanks Jim."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



LoveFool is the author of 48 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked Man to Man also liked 2732 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans