- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Just a little something as an addition to the baby fic that's piling up. I can't seem to finish a long, plot-driven fic so maybe a nice little one-shot will do.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I keep having writer's block on the longer fic I'm working on, so I decided to just hammer this out while it was on my mind.
None of the characters are mine. It all belongs to the wonderful Mr. Daniels who has given us such a beautiful love story to work with.



It was quiet. The nurses were gone. Grace had been sent back to the nursery for some shots and her checkup. Pam was exhausted. They gave her something for pain and drew the blinds so she could get some sleep. But not before she felt Jim kiss her forehead, whisper a soft 'love you' in her ear and quietly leave the room. Her eyes were already closed before he ever walked away.

She slept for nearly two and a half hours. She shifted a little in her bed when the nurse came in to take her vitals but never opened her eyes. She had earned her rest with a 9 hour labor and 45 minutes of pushing that finally yielded little Grace, all pink and tiny with that wonderful sweet newborn smell.

Pam had cried when she held her and even though she was too busy looking at the baby she knew Jim was too. If she thought her heart couldn't be any fuller, she was wrong. The nurse, asking if Jim might want to show her off to the grandparents and friends in the waiting area, picked up their daughter and handed her gently to him. His face as he took his daughter in his arms for the first time is something Pam would never forget. She was so tiny, she was almost lost in her father's arms. Pam let out a half-laugh as fresh tears began to form and watched Jim carry her carefully towards the door. She'd never forget that moment.

As she struggled to wake up and her eyes began to focus on the room around her, she saw that the small table next to her held a bouquet of pink stargazer lilies with a card attached. Pam raised up in the bed, her breath catching with the shock of pain she felt.

It just said 'Pam' but she knew the writing immediately.

With a smile, she opened the card, and was suprised when she opened the paper revealing a full length letter.

Dear Pam,
You were asleep when I came into the house. Yes, I fixed the mailbox like you asked. I can't wake you because you look too peaceful. I could sit here all night, watching you with those ratty pajama pants on you stole from me with your pregnancy book opened up over your stomach. I think you worry too much. There are too many things in that book that will tell you what might be wrong with the baby, and I don't want you to worry. If you need me to, I'll do the worrying for you because I'm doing it anyway.

Yep, this is real. It should be a dream. Some unattainable dream I woke up to long ago when it hurt to even think about you and whether you could ever be mine. But when I blink you're still there. When I looked up from this paper you were still sleeping and you still had swollen ankles, a baby name book sitting on the table next to you and you're still carrying our baby. I'll never get tired of thinking that thought. I can't wait to see you with this baby, because of course you'll be the most awesome mom.

I want everything for you. If you want to stay home, then stay. If you want to work, work. If you want to go to college again, then go. I just want you to be happy. I just need you to know I love you. Oh,and Michael says you might feel ugly when you come home after you have the baby so I'll go ahead and tell you you're beautiful now.

So here I am just watching you and its getting cold so I think I'll get you a blanket. But I want you to know there's not a single place I'd rather be than right here. And if I have to babysit my boss everyday for the rest of my life and kiss Charles Miner's ass on top of it, then I'll do it as long as I get to take care of you and our baby. And I'll do it smiling because I get to come home to you.

Love always,
Jim


SkeetShruting is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 11 members. Members who liked Watching you also liked 2618 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans