- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I own nothing except an undying love for these characters. The title is a quote from Sarah Dessen’s Lock and Key.

I can never say enough good things about WildBerryJam and her superbeta cape.

            They lay in bed together and deliriously happy. Pregnant. Pregnant. They hadn’t planned it in this way. They hadn’t planned this at all. But now that it was happening, they couldn’t wipe the smile from their faces. They’d worry later. Tonight was about happiness and being together, and celebrating the life their love had created.

           

 

            The heartbeat surprised them both. There was a baby in there. A real baby, who would be here sooner than they knew. It felt real now; it was no longer this fictional thing, a little blob that was making Pam sick and tired. It had a heartbeat, and with that, a life. It was real.

 

 

            It took Pam a week to realize what she was feeling was the baby moving. It felt like indigestion, but came at the oddest times. It still surprised her every time she felt a little movement inside of her. She would rub her belly in response, like a private conversation between her and the baby.

 

 

            Pam’s stomach just popped out one day. She had barely been showing, but now she felt as big as a house. Everything became more difficult, she felt clumsy, her stomach bumping into everything as she learned to adjust. Time seemed to be speeding up. She wasn’t ready. She wasn’t sure she would ever be ready.

 

 

            They finished the nursery with days to spare. The yellow walls looked bright and inviting; Pam had painted a jungle scene on the wall opposite the crib. The room was already filled with stuff – outfits, blankets, diapers, books, more than the baby could ever need.

            They felt ready now; all they needed was the baby.

 

 

            The contractions woke Pam in the middle of the night. She quietly left the room, not wanting to wake Jim. She walked around for hours, cleaning, anything to distract her, as the contractions increased in intensity. She woke up Jim, “It’s time.” She took a deep breath, knowing their life was about to change forever.

 

 

            Sophia Rose Halpert was born at 11:42 am on December 18, 2009. Her eyes were bright and blue. She had wisps of brown hair upon her head. She was a perfect combination of Jim and Pam.

She was more perfect than they could have hoped, more beautiful than they could have imagined. They loved her more than they thought possible.
Chapter End Notes:

Please excuse the extra words in the last segment. I couldn’t bear to cut any out.
Reviews?



EmilyHalpert is the author of 44 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Rest Is Now also liked 1241 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans