- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Various bedtime encounters during Season 5 and after.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I just had to. :)
They lie together as the clock strikes twelve, wrapped in each other’s embrace after blissful lovemaking.

“Truth or dare,” she whispers, her eyes catching a ray of the moon.

“What are we, fifth graders at a slumber party?” he mocks, his fingers tracing along her waist.

“Jim, I want to play!” she fakes a pout but it only makes her giggle.

“Fine. You first,” he feigns annoyance but finds himself smiling and liking the idea.

“Truth or dare?” she asks deviously, her fingers drawing tiny circles on his chest.

“Dare.”

“I dare you to kiss me…”

Immediately his lips are on hers, sloppily. She is shocked at how her breath gets caught in her throat and how her mind spins with each deliberately slow motion. He pulls away softly, his lips just above hers, looking pleased.

“…anywhere but on the lips,” she finishes her sentence before his lips rudely interrupted.

“Getting sneaky, are we Beesly?”

He proceeds to create a path of butterfly kisses along her neck, bosom and belly. Goosebumps rise along her skin, as do on his.

There is a short pause as they gaze at each other adoringly. He’s pretty sure that if he laid like this with her – well, her and their baby – for the rest of his life, he’d be content.

“Truth or dare?” he asks her, his fingers fumbling within her curls.

“Truth.”

“Do you think I will be a good father?” His hand rests upon her small but growing belly. He has been doing this lately, most of the time without realizing it. She feels protected.

“I think you are going to be the best father this world has ever seen,” her smiles is wide as she traces her finger along his jawbone.

“Really? How do you know that, for sure?”

“I see the way you act around your nephews. They absolutely adore you.”

“Well, anyone can act nice around kids. It doesn’t mean I’m going to be a good dad,” now he’s just joking, but she fulfills his question.

“Remember that time at work when Dwight went into the staircase, crying?”

“Yeah, and then I came in and kissed you. Which, by the way, was fantastic.”

“Yes, it was. But that’s beside the point.”

There is curiosity in his eyes.

“You and Dwight bother the hell out of each other every single day. But you went into the staircase to comfort him. I don’t know what you said, but you brought our Dwight back. You just care, Jim.”

“That’s just one time, though,” he is completely joking at this point.

“But it’s everyday when I notice something else about you that makes me realize what a good, loving person you are. Like the other day, Michael called you into his office for some stupid thing, but you didn’t make a big deal, you didn’t role your eyes. You just went with the flow, even when you knew it was going to be just as ridiculous as the other two thousand times he has called you in there. You just care about everyone, Jim.”

He doesn’t say anything. He’s just surprised.

“And I’m pretty sure you’re going to care about our little one just as much.”

“Even more,” he whispers. He folds his fingers into hers and pulls her closer. He kisses her, long and slowly, sweetly and gracefully.

“What did you say to Dwight, anyway?”

“You mean in the staircase?”

“Yeah.”

“I told him about why I left Scranton.”

“Really? What did you say?

“Not so fast, Beesly. I think you have to ask me something first.”

“Fine. Truth or dare?”

“Truth?”

“Why did you leave Scranton?”

“You mean last week? I went to that specialty store over in Williamsport to get those pickles you were craving!” His hand subconsciously moves to rest on her belly.

“No!” she says, smiling. “Those were delicious, though. Totally hit the spot.”

“I drove an hour and twenty minutes each way so they better have been delicious!” he smiles, circling his thumb around her belly button.

“Stop going off topic, Halpert. Why did you leave Scranton?” She is pretty sure she knows the answer, but wants to hear it from him.

“Because of you.”

Her eyes do not move from his.

“I couldn’t stand the idea of you getting married to him. And after I kissed you that night and told you how I felt, I was kind of embarrassed. I couldn’t face you or myself. I had to change. I had to leave.”

Her lips move into a weak smile, her brows furrowed. His expression matches hers.

“I’m sorry that I did, but at the same time, I don’t think I would have survived. You were everything to me, Pam. You are everything. Seeing you everyday with the same half-hearted smile and that ring” he breaks their gaze and in his eyes she sees a flicker of ache,

“I just loved you too much to ignore you all day, so I left you completely,” he finishes, delicately tucking a curl behind her ear.

There is silence between them. Then, slowly, she places her hand on his cheek and presses her lips into his.

“I’m glad I came back,” he laughs, after her lips leave his.

“So am I.”


She smiles as she plays with his mess of hair.

“I love you, Jim Halpert.”

“I love you too, Beesly. Why do you think I put up with this crazy stuff, like playing truth or dare in the middle of the night?”

“Because secretly, you like it.”

He strokes his fingers across her cheek and whispers, “Yeah, but mostly, I like you.”
Chapter End Notes:
Oh, how I love JAM! More to come!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans