- Text Size +
Story Notes:
In 55 word increments, how Jim and Pam's story reflects the most common scripture read at weddings in the US.  

The greatest of these is Love  

Love is patient

He waited for her. For years, he waited. He simply had no choice. He needed her like flowers need sunlight, and so he had to wait. At times it hurt like hell, but she is marrying him today and she is carrying his child. For that, hell seems like a very small price to pay.  

Love is kind

She sent him a note to wish him luck. Maybe he no longer valued her good wishes, but she wanted him to know that she cared. She had no idea that it would bring him back to her. She folds the note carefully and slips it into her garter. It is something old and sacred.  

It does not envy, it does not boast

He is glad she went to New York. Although her absence made the office seem that much more of a dead end, he is still glad she did it. Although she never says much about her adventure, he knows she cherishes the experience. He also knows he will never let her regret coming home to him. 

It is not proud

She wonders what he will say. “I’m in love with you,” he said once. “I want to be more than that,” “It’s a date,” and, “I can’t wait.” So open, so frankly acknowledging of his need for her. She assumes that his words, in the presence of God and these witnesses, will make her cry. 

It is not rude, it is not self-seeking

He knows he messes up all the time. He knows he shouldn’t do things like buying a house without her input. He is profoundly grateful that she understands that he does these stupid things impulsively, out of love for her. He would do anything for her and for their baby. His family is his priority. 

It is not easily angered; it keeps no record of wrongs

She spares a thought for that other wedding, so long deferred and ultimately denied. She still struggles with the bad habits of that relationship, picking her words carefully to avoid fights that will never materialize.  She can scarcely believe she almost made such a mistake- and she rejoices that he doesn’t hold it against her. 

Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth

He knows that planning this day has exhausted her. Normally, the ridiculous politics of their office amuse him, but seeing her frustration has made him worried and angry. Now, though, seeing the sincere goodwill in his colleagues’ faces and the joyful tears in the eyes of his bride, he knows it was all worth it.  

It always protects

She sees circles under his eyes despite his awestruck smile. He’s been working too hard, worrying too much- about work, about the baby, about this wedding. As she says her vows, she adds one silently to herself to do her best to help him. She hopes he knows he never has to worry about her.

 Always trusts

He looks into her eyes as she vows to love him, honor him, cherish him. He feels her slip the band onto his finger, as a symbol of her love and faithfulness. He knows her- knows her expressions and her tones of voice as well as his own. And he knows she means every word. 

Always hopes

She can’t stop smiling. Despite everything, a part of her always believed that this was what marriage should be- to be loved like this. Beneath her bouquet, she runs her hand lightly along her belly, giddy with the swell of life she feels there. Everything is perfect, and it is going to get even better. 

Always perseveres

He waited for her. For years, he waited. He simply had no choice. And now, she is here. He sees her touch her belly and smile, and his eyes sting with joyful tears. She is his family and his future. She is his faith, his hope, and his love. Finally, finally, she is his wife.  

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  I Corinthians 13:4-7

Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


nqllisi is the author of 87 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked The greatest of these is Love also liked 1955 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans