- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This story was written for the "Fandom Auction to Help Haiti Recover" hosted by users of LiveJournal. Vampiric Blood was the winning bidder, and I wrote this story in return for her generous donation to Partners in Health, and in response to a prompt she gave me. As if that weren't enough, she also took the time to beta the story and gave me excellent feedback that helped me make the story better. I hope I have done her generosity, creativity, and time justice. The inspiration is all VB; any errors are mine, and I hope you can overlook them.

For more information about the auction, here is the official LiveJournal page.

 

Trading your secrets

 

Trade your secrets and become who you are. Frank Warren, PostSecret, 09-06-08  

The odds against it were astronomical. 

Yes, Kelly sometimes got faxes. Most people called or e-mailed, but every once in a while, someone with a complaint sent a fax. And yes, when a fax came in for Kelly, Pam would sometimes walk it back to the annex for her. Certainly not always, but sometimes. And sometimes Michael broke his own rule about ignoring Toby’s presence and actually spoke to the man. Once or twice a year, Michael could even be seen back at Toby’s desk for one reason or another. But for all of those things to happen at that moment? The odds against it were ridiculous.   

“Look Jim needed a relaxing lunch, he has been depressed and it has been affecting his productivity. How is that not work related?”

“He seems fine to me.”

You're not his friend, you don't know. He is in love with a girl he works with who's engaged. So just cut me some slack. Please?” 

Pam and Kelly froze, each still holding on to one end of the fax. Pam could feel the blood rush to her face as Kelly’s eyebrows sprang upward. “Pam?” Kelly asked Michael, wonder and glee mingled in her voice.  

Michael looked around in horror. “I- No. Of course not. I mean, what? Who? Jim? No, of – not Pam,” he babbled, panic robbing him of what little coherence he normally possessed.  

“OK,” Pam said blankly. She was vaguely aware of Kelly pulling the fax out of her hands while simultaneously pressing Michael for details in an exaggerated whisper.

Pam turned and walked quickly back to the reception desk.  Pam knew, even in her shock, that within seconds Kelly would be flying around the office to spread the juicy gossip. Taking shelter behind the tall reception desk, she already regretted walking away. She should have done some damage control. She should have said something. She could have helped Michael with an explanation, an excuse, a…  “A lie,” she thought to herself suddenly. “You should have helped Michael come up with a lie, because he was telling Toby the truth.”

She was suddenly aware that her hands were shaking.  

He is in love with a girl he works with who’s engaged.  

Jim Halpert was in love with her.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans