- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. "Okay. Okay. Okay-kay-kay-kay-kay. Okay."

Pam grinned in approval and a hint of awe as Jim completed his temporary run as Michael Gary Scott, manager of the Dunder Mifflin orifice. He was brilliant in his imitation and exaggerated support of one Dwight Kurt Shrute.

She met Jim's hand from across the room in an air high five and then they both went back to faking their work.

But she could still feel his hand on hers.

 

2. "Hey, um. Can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot."

"Um. I just wanted to say thanks."

"Not really a question..."

His arm was strong and protective as he gently helped her into Angela's car. For a moment, she was grateful to the cameras for being there. For reminding her. For stopping her.

From what? She wasn't exactly sure. That's what was so scary.

Her head buzzed as the faint melody of a religious song drifted over her. It was peaceful and simple and comforting and the exact opposite of what she was feeling right then.

She'd kissed him. She didn't know if she'd remember in the morning, but she hoped she didn't. Knowing now was bad enough. The softness of his lips, the smell of his aftershave, the warmth of his body pressed tightly against hers.

It was nice. It was more than nice. It was intoxicating. Addicting, even.

She knew what she had wanted to ask him, but she hoped she would forget that too. It would only complicate things. And with the taste of his surprised kiss still on her lips, the last thing she needed was another complication.

 

3. "And Pam. It was like, three years ago. So, I am totally over it."

She walked out of the break room and her vision blurred with unshed tears. Pam never let herself truly believe that Jim was attracted to her, although sometimes the way he would look at her would make her feel more like a woman than in all her years with Roy. But she had long ago forced herself to think she was only his mousy friend from work, the one he just happened to know everything about and the one he would just get along with…amazingly well.

Not that it would have mattered either way. Except that it did.

For that small, brief moment, when Jim's eyes burned intensely into hers and he confessed his past crush, it had mattered more than it should have.

Then he took it away.

Pam sat down at her desk and watched numbly as Jim followed suit, flashing her a reassuring smile, again reinforcing what she'd known for all but five blissful seconds.

Though she knew it was unreasonable, her heart hardened and her eyes narrowed. She reached for her phone and dialed information, lifting her chin in defiance. "Scranton Travel, please…Yes, hi. I'd like to get some information on resorts in the Poconos." Her eyes shifted to Jim. "As soon as possible."

 

4. "Jim said mixed berries? Oh, wow, yeah, he's on to me."

She laughed and gazed down at her fingers, her cheeks filling with a delicate shade a pink. She didn't know why she was surprised that Jim knew such a random, insignificant detail about her.

Jim always knew.

 

5."My theory is that…"

Her voice trailed off when she realized Jim was no longer standing beside her. She peeked outside the conference room door to see him packing up his stuff and clicking off his computer.

He saw her standing there, a questioning look in her eyes and mouthed that he was leaving. She nodded and smiled; he waved and left.

Her smile faded. He was going on a date tonight and it made her chest tighten to see him leave work early in order to get to it.

It wasn't as though Jim didn't date. He did. She had seen him with Katy. She had transferred calls from women with husky voices. She'd even sometimes smelled perfume on him in the mornings.

Pam had always felt more important to him and that somehow made it all bearable.

But things had changed recently. She couldn't quite put her finger on it exactly, but Jim was different. He no longer found random excuses to come see her at reception. He had deliberately planned a vacation two days before her wedding. He didn't even give her a card on Valentine's Day. Not that it was his job to get her a card. But he just always had before.

And now he was going on dates and leaving work early and walking away during a classic Michael moment which was prime for their mocking.

Though she knew it would drive her crazy, she wondered where he would take her. Would he open her car door? Would he order wine at dinner? Would he hold her hand? Would he make her laugh? Would he kiss her goodnight? Would he kiss her good morning?

Her stomach knotted painfully and she knew that he would.

But she hoped that he wouldn't.

She wanted to be more important, for just a little while longer.



Petty is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked 5 Obscure Times Pam Falls in Love with Jim also liked 1146 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans