- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam celebrate a birthday.

Big thanks to Vampiric Blood for her help on this, and also for getting up the "birthday" challenge to begin with.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.







.
Pam sat staring at the perfect baby boy she held in her arms. Only a few hours into this world, he grimaced and grunted and blinked his sleepy little eyes as she took in everything about him. The stretchy sock hat failed to completely cover his generous shock of thick brown hair, and unruly strands stuck out around the edges, framing his face. He yawned widely, and then let out a soft baby sigh.

“You sleepy, little fellow?” she asked. “Are you tired? I know I am.”

“Yeah, you took your time getting here,” Jim chimed in. Her husband sat close at her left shoulder, eyes transfixed on the baby, every bit as enchanted as she was.

“I’d forgotten how newborn babies smell,” Pam reflected, and she turned to meet Jim’s eyes for an instant, sharing the memory.

“Me, too,” he acknowledged. “Sour milk. Stinky diapers...owwww.” Wincing unconvincingly, he rubbed his ribs where she’d gently elbowed him. “Stop Pam, you’ll scar him for life – such abuse,” he said with mock concern. “Hey, I think he has your nose,” Jim continued obliquely, trying to redeem himself, but it was the truth.

“You think so?” Pam wrinkled her nose as she contemplated his observation.

“Definitely,” he agreed, raising his eyebrows and shaking his head.

In a chair a few feet away sat Cecelia, just as captivated and amazed by the baby as Jim and Pam were.

“So, Cece, what do you think?” Pam asked their daughter, and added before she could answer, “I actually think his nose looks just like yours.”

“Well,” added Jim, “Cece’s nose looks like yours, too, Pam, so I’d like to point out that my assessment is still accurate,” he finished smugly.

Cece spoke up, “I like his name,” she said simply, but her look of wonderment spoke volumes more. Pam knew this was a big day for her as well.

“James Daniel – yep, a great name,” Jim agreed, not bothering to conceal his satisfaction. Pam grinned at his obvious delight in his namesake.

“He has your ears,” Brandi laughed from across the room, and without giving Jim time for a comeback, she rose and walked over to look closer at the baby. His little eyes suddenly closed tightly for a few seconds, and his face reddened. “Oh wow, I think he’s just...um, you know... “ Brandi stammered, “Do you think?”

Pam loosened the swaddling enough to confirm Brandi’s suspicions with a quick peek. “Yup,” she said, “I believe you’re right.”

Jim spoke right up, “Here, let me have him. I’ll take care of that,” and he reached to take the baby from Pam.

Brandi gave Pam a questioning look, and she nodded “yes”.

“What?” Jim took it as an affront. “First of all, I can diaper anything, and second, I am very, very experienced,” he boasted. Not to be denied, he gathered the baby in his arms and slowly but resolutely made his way to the bassinette. “Like riding a bicycle,” he chortled. “Cece, sweetie, hand me a diaper, would you please?” he requested.

“Sure Dad,” she said helpfully. She reached down on the bottom shelf of the cart and handed him a fresh diaper.

“Thanks,” he winked at her and efficiently took care of the chore with minimal fussing. “There you go, big guy,” he cooed as he swaddled him back in his blanket. Then Jim lifted the baby, holding him carefully upright with their heads close together. “Yes, young Jim, “ he said, cuddling him close and conspiring, “We gotta stick together, you know, same name, same birthday, “ he said, eyes twinkling. “Same ears,” he grinned.

“I can’t believe he was actually born on your birthday, Jim,” Pam admitted. He made no secret of how pleased he was, and she loved seeing him so happy.

“Clearly, it’s an awesome person’s birthday, “ he boasted, as if that should be the most obvious thing in the entire world.

Pam just shook her head. He’ll never change, she thought, but she took note of his limp as he made his way back to sit beside her. That hip just hadn’t been the same since he'd fallen off that ladder last year, the stubborn idiot. She’d told him to leave the gutters alone, of course, but since when had he taken her advice? Pam knew it bothered him, even though he hardly ever complained, and lately it had become more noticeable. She watched as he sat down gingerly and started gently rocking the baby to quiet him. Jim had always been a natural with children. They just seemed to respond to his calm good nature. Of course, so did she, she realized when she was truthful with herself.

Voices at the door interrupted her musing, and Pam looked up to see Carl and Jack walk in the door of the hospital room. Carl looked every one of his thirty years tonight, and his saggy eyes contrasted with the taller Jack’s, so boyish and fresh. Carl walked straight to Brandi and handed his wife a steaming cup of coffee, which she grasped eagerly.

“Thanks, hon,” Brandi told him, taking a quick, appreciative drink while Carl stood silently beside her, beaming at the tiny bundle in Jim’s arms.

“It’s getting kind of late, so maybe you all had better head on home,“ Brandi gestured toward Jim and Pam.
.
At Brandi’s words, Carl approached Jim. “Here, I’ll take him,” he said, but Pam could sense Jim’s reluctance to relinquish the baby. He hesitated a moment and then, recognizing the look in Carl’s eyes, transferred the baby to him. “Good night, little man – go to your daddy,” he said softly. “We’ll talk more later.”

“I’ll drive Grandma and Grandpa home,” offered Jack eagerly. He was a tall, lanky boy with kind green eyes and a charming, easy going wit, she observed. Pam regarded her husband. Though his hair was totally gray now, he was still thin and angular, and the boyish twinkle in his eye was unchanged. Yes, she thought, Jack was their grandchild who was most like Jim, both in physical appearance and personality. Sometimes the resemblance was uncanny. He was now an uncle at seventeen and a senior in high school, and Jack thought he had the world by the tail.

Just then Cece spoke up. “Mom? Dad? That okay with you all? I drove too, so I can take you if you aren’t up for riding with the maniac,” she gestured toward her son.

“Sure, we’ll ride with Jack, sweetie,” Pam said, winking. “Jim’s got his nitroglycerin.” She patted his arm. It was a joke, because Jim hadn’t actually needed any nitroglycerin since his heart surgery five years ago.

“Yeah, anything’s better than your mother’s driving, Jack,“ Jim said with an impish grin.

“Dad!” Cece exclaimed.

“See this gray hair?” Jim pointed to his own head. “Teaching you to drive,” he explained matter-of-factly.

“Grandpa’s right, Mom. You’re a terrible driver,” Jack agreed, exchanging sympathetic looks with his grandfather. “I’ll go get the car and pull up to the entrance. See you in a few minutes,“ he said, and disappeared out the door in two long strides.

“I’m going to stay a few more minutes, so you two go on,” Cecelia said. “You know the way to the entrance, right?” she asked.

Pam rolled her eyes as she cleared a wisp of gray hair from her face. “Yes, dear, we’ll find it. Don’t worry, we’re not that senile. Yet.” She and Jim rose to exchange hugs with everyone and say their reluctant goodbyes. “See you tomorrow, Granny Cece,” Pam said with a chuckle as they parted.

The elderly couple made their way out the door and walked slowly toward the elevator. “He’s so cute,” Pam mused, and then after a beat, added, “My God, Jim, we’re great grandparents. And on your eighty second birthday!” she smiled, taking his arm and giving it a squeeze.

“Pretty amazing,” he admitted, as they shuffled onto the elevator.

Pam pushed the “Lobby” button. In the over half a century she had known him, Jim had never been one to make a big deal of his birthday. All he usually wanted was a card and a quiet day together. But today he had been exceptionally animated and excited. Having a great grandchild was a pretty big deal after all, she figured. She was glad she had a cake and a couple of presents waiting for him at home so they could extend the celebration a little longer.

“You remember - we have ice cream cake at home,” Pam reminded him as the floors passed.

“Umm,” Jim said, planting a kiss at the crook of her neck. “What else is there at home?” he asked suggestively.

“Jim Halpert!” Pam giggled, feigning shock. “Feeling frisky, are you?”

“How’s your back?” he asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

She flushed a little bit, knowing exactly what that meant. “It’s pretty good today,” she cocked her head in amusement at him as the elevator door opened.

“Lead the way, then. It's imperative we take advantage of that. Let’s get home as quickly as possible.” Then he suddenly recalled who their driver was. “Which...shouldn’t be a problem,” he added soberly.

When they arrived at the entrance, Jack was already there, as promised. He opened the front and back passenger side doors, and helped his grandmother into the backseat. Jim called to Pam, “Scoot on over, hon.”

“Grandpa, you can sit up front with me,” Jack motioned to the open front door.

“Nope, Jack, I’m sitting back here with your grandmother.” He smiled a broad, closed lipped smile. “Maybe we’ll make out in the back seat on the way home.”

“Grandpa!” the boy exclaimed, his face flushing.

“You just drive, ‘kay?” Jim answered, his eyes twinkling. “And no staring in the rear view.”

Jack shook his head, closed the doors, and made it a point to drive with strict attention to traffic laws on the short trip to his grandparents’ house. He didn’t dare look in the mirror.




When they arrived home, Jack saw his grandparents all the way to the door despite Jim’s assurances that they’d be fine.

“Jack, do you want to come in and have some cake?” Pam asked.

“Rain check on that, Grandma?” Jack replied. “I’ve actually got a date,“ the boy added sheepishly.

“Me, too,” Jim laughed. He gave Pam a little squeeze and then offered Jack a handshake. A part of him was relieved when Jack drove off. It had been a full day and he was pretty tired – he didn’t have the endurance he used to have. Mostly, though, it was because Jim wanted to share the rest of the evening with Pam, just the two of them.

Jim gathered the mail from the mailbox, and as soon as they entered their house, Pam immediately headed for the kitchen. Taking his chance, Jim paused in the front hallway to glance through the mail. He found an envelope that he’d been expecting, folded it in half, and slipped it into his back pocket.

“Jim!” she called to him from the kitchen.

He made his way on in. “Have a seat,” she instructed him, and he sat at the kitchen table just as she requested. “Close your eyes.” He did. He waited a couple of moments before the predictable next command came, “Okay, you can open them.”

Pam held a decorated cake in front of her, and the candles flickered as she walked slowly toward him. She sang a chorus of “Happy Birthday” and sat the cake in front of him, making sure she got the “dear great grandpa” into the lyrics. Her eyes shone with delight as the glow from the candles reflected on her ageing face. He’d always loved the way she looked when she was pleased with something she’d planned, and this was one of those occasions.

“Got enough wind to blow them out?” she teased.

He paused, put a finger to his mouth dramatically, made a big deal out of making a silent wish, and then snuffed the candles easily in one breath.

“What did you wish?” she asked, though she knew he wouldn’t tell her.

Jim shook his head “no,” because he had no intention of revealing them - see, he’d actually made two wishes. The first was that one day in the future this new little Jim would find someone to share his life who was as special to him as Pam had been to his great grandpa, and the second was that his body would rise to the...um...proverbial occasion tonight. It was his birthday, after all.

After they ate cake, he proceeded to open the two meticulously wrapped packages she had presented to him. One was a new pair of pajamas – the flannel drawstring ones he liked so much - and the other was a watercolor she’d done from one of his favorite photos. He was pushing Cece in a swing on the playground when she was about four, and they were both laughing. Pam had done a wonderful job of it, and had it nicely framed for him.


“Wow,” he said simply, in appreciation. “It’s perfect,” he added, his voice full and gruff. He pulled her close and gave her a hug. “It’s been a perfect day – thank you.”

“It’s not over yet, Mr. Halpert,” she grinned. “Maybe you’d best try on those pajamas.”

“Well now,” he smirked, “I’ll have to do that later, because I already have the perfect suit for the rest of the festivities.”

“I’ve always been partial to that one,” Pam said flirtatiously. “You wear it well,” she added as she ran her hand over his shoulder and down his chest.

“Young lady,” looking over his glasses wisely, “are you trying to lead an old man astray?”

“Not just trying,” she scoffed. “Besides, you're hardly struggling to get away,” she said, eyeing him appreciatively.

“Such a bad influence, Beesly,” he scolded, and he stood to offer her his arm. “I love you.”

“Let’s go, birthday boy,” she laughed as she threaded her arm into the crook of his elbow, and they helped each other up the stairs to their bedroom.

*****************

Jim gasped and rolled onto his back, letting his head flop back onto the pillow next to Pam. They lay still now beside one another, both fighting to catch their breath. Pam glanced over at him from her pillow to see what he knew must be his very red and clammy face. She giggled.

“What?” he grinned. “You’re...wheezing...too,” he pointed out and she nodded her head in good natured agreement.

“You take...my breath away?” she ventured with a smirk, sneaking in a quick kiss on his cheek.

“That,” he wagged his finger at her,”was very bad, Pam. But yes. I obviously do, and apparently it goes both ways,” he pointed out.

As their heart rates gradually returned to normal, he thanked the birthday gods for granting one of those wishes already, and then cursed his prostate with equal passion. Because now he had to go to the bathroom. Again.

He rose, pointing to the bathroom, and Pam's small smile signaled her understanding – she was used to his frequent trips these days. He went by way of his dresser, where his clothes were heaped in a messy pile. He found his trousers and, blocking Pam’s view with his body, he deftly retrieved the envelope from his pocket and slid it into the back of his pajama drawer. It was from Dr. Richards’ office - he knew it was the confirmation of an appointment next week. He’d open it tomorrow. Because today was his birthday and it would wait.

He donned boxers, flannel pants and a t shirt, the same combination he’d slept in for most of his adult life, and toddled off to use the toilet. As he washed his hands afterward, he noticed Pam’s little day by day pillbox sitting by the sink, and out of curiosity, he checked Saturday’s compartment. It was Saturday, wasn’t it? Yes, of course, it was - it was his birthday. He found a tablet remaining in Saturday’s box. She hadn’t taken her last blood pressure pill. He shook his head, drew a glass of water, and fished out the pill.

When he emerged from the bathroom, Pam already had on her gown, and she sat propped on pillows against the headboard of their bed, watching the news. He approached the bed, trying to ignore the nagging pain in his right leg as he walked.

“Here,” he said, handing her the pill and the glass of water.

She turned her attention to Jim and a troubled look clouded her face. “Oh! I forgot again, didn’t I?” she asked with concern.

“That’s why they make those little boxes, Pam, to help us,” he soothed. “You just gotta check ‘em.”

She swallowed the pill as Jim climbed in and propped himself next to her. The eager reporter on the screen who was talking about the latest political scandal had Pam’s full attention, but Jim’s mind wandered.

He would tell her in a day or two, he supposed, about his appointment. He’d asked that they not call with the date, because he’d wanted the baby to come before anyone found out. He didn’t want the joyous occasion of a new baby to be sullied in any way, and even Jack would know what an appointment with an oncologist meant. With Brandi’s baby due – well – they all needed the opportunity to celebrate, Pam included. He was also thankful because now he knew that the child’s name was given in sincere tribute, and Jim liked that a lot better than the alternatives.

The weather man was chattering away now, promising rain on Sunday, with cooler temperatures to follow. In his peripheral vision, Jim noticed Pam’s eyes were drooping.

Was it odd that he wasn’t really sad about his news – not yet at least? His regular doctor had told him it was already in his bones, so treatment would be palliative. The thing was, he’d always wished that he would go first - and if you lived to be this old, you'd thought about these things. Maybe that was selfish, but he honestly thought that Pam was tougher than he was. Plus, she still enjoyed her painting and keeping the grandkids now and then, and he knew she would cope. She’d keep busy. Two of their three children lived close by, and they’d take good care of their mother. Of his eighty plus years, the best fifty two of them had been spent with his wife, and the truth was, he couldn’t imagine living in this house without Pam. What would be the point?

So, if this was his fate, he’d accept it and resolve to make every remaining day count. And today? Well, today had been one of the best days ever. If this was going to be his final birthday, he’d certainly saved the best for last.

A sportscaster began reporting football scores, and Jim’s attention turned to the screen. As a burly, square chinned man revealed the day’s college results, Jim felt the warm weight of Pam’s head gradually drop down onto his shoulder. He reached with his other hand to gently remove her glasses, brushing back a stray strand of her hair in the process. He paused to ponder the sight of her, leaning against his shoulder, breathing evenly as she dozed. She was wrinkled and worn, the years showing on her face, and yet she was still so beautiful to him – his everything. He placed her glasses on the night table, and turned to gently kiss the top of her head. He’d wake her in a moment so they could turn in for the night, after he enjoyed this for a bit.

When the news program came to an end, he yawned and sighed deeply. Not a bad birthday, he reflected, and he reached for the remote to switch off the power. He’d sit here and let her sleep for a just little while longer, he decided, because he wanted to and it was still his birthday. And little Jim’s birthday, too, he remembered with satisfaction.

So, yeah, he thought, as he smiled broadly, savoring the moment.

Not a bad life.











.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading, and comments are always appreciated.

Most importantly: Happy Belated Birthday, NanReg!


jazzfan is the author of 16 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Legacy also liked 1113 other stories.
This story is part of the series, let?s celebrate birthday month in style today.. The previous story in the series is Twenty Brochures, One Painting and A Home. The next story in the series is Days Go By.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans