- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to the betas Deedldee and MilkandSugar! You guys are awesome!!
Pam looked out the window, at the sky was beginning to show the colors of the sunset. She loved watching the sunset; it was like a painted that God had created. It had some blues, orange, pink and yellow meshed together as the sun began to descend below its horizon.

It had been several weeks since Jim left Scranton; Pam had canceled her wedding and was now living in an apartment alone for 3 weeks. Her apartment was upstairs above the lobby. Pam’s apartment wasn’t small or big, it was perfect. The apartment was mostly quiet, no kids screaming or band music blaring next door to her. After she watched the sunset, she walked over to the fridge to grab a drink. As soon as she bent straight back up, the pain in her head started to pound.

"Oh boy," She put her soda can down on the counter and pinched the spot between her eyebrows and her nose. "That really hurts." Pam mumbled. The pain had started several days ago. It would come and go at certain times. Pam was convinced it was part of getting her period and it would go away when it’s over.

"Pam?" Penny knocked on the door.

"Coming," Pam said as she rubbed her forehead in pain.

"Hey," Penny chirped as Pam opened the door. "I brought some food." She held up a white bag.

"Thanks," Pam softly smiled as she took the bag from Penny, set the bag on the table and plopped on the sofa.

"What's wrong?" Penny asked, alarmed at Pam’s ashen face.

"I just don't feel good," Pam sighed as she lay down on the sofa. "My head hurts."

"I'll get you some Aleve," Penny put her purse down and went over to the bathroom.

"Okay," Pam sighed as she reached for the white bag and opened it but then set the bag back down the table. She wasn’t hungry, her appetite seemed to be off.

"Back," Penny arrived to the living area.

"Thank you," Pam retrieved the glass from Penny.

"Headache?" Penny asked as she handed the pills to Pam.

"Yeah," Pam put the cup down. "It just comes every once in a while."

"Why don't you go to the doctor?" Penny sat down on the sofa beside her sister.

"It's fine really," Pam gave out a dissimive wave. "Everybody gets these."

"Hmm-hmm," Penny nodded as Pam lay back down on the sofa. "Aren’t you hungry?"

"Not at the moment," Pam mumbled as she covered her eyes with her forearm.

"How about lying on your bed?" Penny patted her sister’s arm. "That would be more comfortable for you."

"Good idea," Pam got up to go to her room but felt a sense that her sister was following behind her so she turned to Penny. "You don't have to come with me; I'm a big girl you know?"

"Right," Penny smiled softly. "I'll let you go and rest. And eat something."

"Yes mom," Pam rolled her eyes as she sighed exasperatedly.

"I'll call you later, then?" Penny softly smiled.

"Okay," Pam nodded and then headed to her bedroom. She sighed as she plopped down on the bed and stared up the white ceiling above and the barren walls surrounding her. It would need some color. But she'd been in no mood to paint or draw ever since Jim had left. She felt empty with nothing to inspire her to what she loves to do.

"Maybe I should take a little nap," Pam said to herself and turned over to lie on her side. Few minutes later, her eyes still refused to close. All she did was picture Jim lying in front of her, fast asleep.

"I don’t need this now," She groaned as she turned over to the other side of the bed. But then, she looked up to the picture that was pinned on the corkboard on her wall. She went to the corkboard, took the picture into her hands and smiled softly.

It was a picture of them taken unexpectedly by the camera crew. Pam was laughing as Jim leaned against her desk while he smiled brightly at her. Pam thought this picture was the best one out of them. It showed respect, joy, happiness and not only that in the picture: She looked at Jim's face, it was full of love. She closed her eyes and pictured him looking at her with those expressive emerald eyes and hearing his golden laugh.

Pam opened her eyes, she was still standing alone in her room, still holding the photo. She wished desperately to be able to reconnect with him, to see that smile, to hear his voice, to laugh with him once again. She sighed as she lay back down on the bed. These kinds of thoughts would come to her a lot. Would she call him to see how he was doing? Or maybe go up to see him and tell him that she regretted making her mistake, telling him that she can’t and letting go of his hands after they had kissed on that night. She turned to her nightstand to read the clock which flashed 7:34, before looking back down to the picture.

It's now or never, Pam. Just do it. And with that thought, she grabbed her duffel bag out of the closet and begin filling it with clothes as fast as possible.

Several minutes later, she was driving on the North Scranton Expressway during at night and no traffic on the road. But she still hated driving at night, always preferring to have someone else in the car with her. "Not again," Pam muttered as the sharp pain came back again. She tried to ignore it, hoping it would go away. But then she felt numbness spreading throughout her fingers, up her arms and blurring her version and while she shook head to clear it, the darkness pulled her under until everything went black. She didn't hear the sounds of screeching of tires and the car hitting the guardrail before flipping over to its roof.

"Miss?" Pam heard an older man's voice. "Miss?"

Pam blinked and looked around at the sight by her, she was leaning her head against the roof while being upside down the roof and pieces of glass shattered by her. Little pools of blood surrounding her head.

"You're awake," The EMT said. "Look into the light," He shone the light at her eyes. "Pupils are dilated," He put the pen flashlight in his pocket. "We're going to take you out in a second." Then he stuck his head out of the car. "Bring the gurney over here!"

Pam groaned and closed her eyes as the crucial pain hit her head.

"Okay, we're bringing you out," The EMT shifted the orange board underneath her and slid her body onto it. "What's your name?" He asked.

"P-Pam," Pam looked up to the EMT as he put the neck brace on.

"I'm Nick," He looked down to her.

"Let's put her on the gurney," Another EMT spoke.

"On the count of three," Nick said. "1, 2, 3--" He groaned as they picked her up and set her on the gurney.
"Ready?" Nick asked the other EMT. "We're going to take you the hospital now, Pam." He brought her to the ambulance.

Suddenly, Pam was blinded by the bright light above her.

"You okay?" Nick looked down to her. "Can you squeeze my hand?" Pam gently squeezed his hand. "Good."

"H-hurts," Pam struggled to speak.

"What hurts?" Nick asked.

"H-head," Pam's voice wavered.

"Okay, we're going to give you something to get rid of the pain," He put his hand on her shoulder. "Liam, get me a milligram of---

The voices and sounds of a siren became faint as her eyes fluttered closed.
*****************************************

Helene stood with her husband Bill and Penny, forlorn in the cold bright white room, various machines beeping and wires surround their daughter as she lay still. Pam looked cold and pale as a ghost with some deep bruises around her face, cuts on her arms, and a white bandage that was wrapped around her head. Unable to either wake up or breathe on her own. the ventilator was supporting her.

"You should go to get some rest," he said. "We'll watch her."

"Okay," Helene sniffled and nodded as she picked up her clothes. Then she saw a folded paper fall to the ground after picking up Pam's jacket. She picked it up, it was Jim's new cell phone number, but then she remembered the conversation:

"Mom, he's gone," Pam sobbed.

"What?" Helene asked.

"Jim left. He transferred," Pam said.

"Can you call him?"

"I-I don't know if I can, especially after that night."


Helene looked at the clock; it was 12:30 in the afternoon. It has been a long 14 hours since Pam arrived to the hospital. She looked down to the paper in her hand, grabbed her cell phone out and began to dial the number.

*************************

Jim sunk down on the sofa and sighed as he leaned back on the sofa. It had been a long stressful week for him, With no one to play a prank on, no silly and boring conferences, no eating a jellybean and talk to the receptionist. He'd been talking to clients all week. It wasn't the same as being back home in Scranton. That had been the point in moving, but that fact didn't make it any less lonely.

"With Jimmy Rollins up next--" The announcer chatted on television.

Jim heard his cell phone chime on his coffee table, he groaned as he reached for it, wondering who the hell would be calling him. The number came up as unknown caller. He flipped the phone open.

"Hello?" Jim answered.

"Jim?" Helene asked.

"Yeah, this is he," Jim said.

"This is Helene, Pam's mother," Helene spoke.

Jim's head raced with all the aching possibilities and questions and for the first time in several weeks, hope surged within him.

"I'm not sure...I don't think I should be calling you, I mean I don't mean to bother...but-" Her voice became more anguished.

"What is it?" Jim could feel his gut churning as he heard her voice. He knew something had gone wrong.

"Pam was in a car accident," Helene's voice broke.

Then that's when his heart just sank to his stomach, "What?" Jim's voice croaked and tears began to well up in his eyes. "Is she okay?"

"She's in a coma at the moment." Helene sniffled. "The doctors said-"

"I'll be right there!" Jim interrupted and without thinking twice, he grabbed his keys then his wallet before rushing out of the door. "Which hospital?"

"Moses Taylor Hospital," Helene said.

"I'll be in there in a few hours," Jim said. "Maybe 2, if I can."

"Just take your time, Jim. She's not going anywhere."

"Okay," Jim nodded. "I'll be there as soon as possible."

"Okay," Helene said.

He sped down the highway, thankful there were no police officers on the side of the road. He began to slow down as he saw a sign for Interstate that would lead him out of that quiet, dreary state that was miserable for him to live in. All of these memories came through his mind, including all the emotions that would surround him.

But he saw her smile, her hair, her eyes as Michael's words ringing his head, "Never ever ever give up."

She needs me. And I need her. He turned onto Interstate 84.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans