- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm throwing my hat into the ring for a multi-chaptered AU. I'm not sure why I'm posting this because there are so many great WIP's on MTT right now, I don't expect this to measure up. I'm not sure how long it's going to be, but I have the basics mapped out in my head.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Pam smoothed her chocolate brown skirt and checked her reflection in the mirror. Today was her first day at her new job as receptionist for Dunder- Mifflin in Scranton. She had gone in for an interview with a strange man who kept talking about how the office was like a family a little over two weeks ago. She was offered the job three days later as she was moving into her new apartment. She accepted knowing that jobs were hard to come by lately, especially with a degree in art. If the boss turned out to be a true nightmare, she could continue to search for jobs while sucking it up for a paycheck at Dunder- Mifflin.

She had taken the time this morning to straighten her hair and then add soft curls. She then pulled it half up in a new barrette. She wore a small amount of makeup. “First impressions are important,” her mother Helene had always said. She knew the novelty and excitement of her new job would soon wear off and she would be back to her standard scrunched curls and no makeup.

Pam grabbed her purse, the lunch she packed last night, and the bag of jelly beans she had bought yesterday. When she accepted the job, she was told by Michael, her new boss, that it was her responsibility to keep the candy jar on her desk full. He had told her a few other things that she was still trying to forget.

Her workday began at 8 and ended at 5, with an hour for lunch. She arrived a few minutes early, keeping with her attempt to make a good first impression. She was immediately greeted by Michael, waiting for her at the reception desk.

“Pam-lama-rama,” Michael screamed excitedly, “Welcome to Dunder Mifflin Scranton, your new family! Put down your things, let me introduce you to your new brothers and sisters.”

“Wow, he was not joking about that whole family thing,” Pam thought to herself as she dropped her purse, lunch, and jelly beans on her new desk. When she came back to the front of reception, Michael took her by the hand and led her around the office. He led her around to each section of the office introducing her to all of her new coworkers. She was making an effort to remember all of their names, but knew inevitably she would forget some of them.

Their final stop on the tour of the office was the desk clump immediately in front of hers. There were two desks, but only one of them was currently occupied.

“Dwight K. Schrute,” the sole occupant stated as he very formally held out his hand for her to shake.

“Pam Beesly,” she replied, shaking his hand.

“As Assistant Regional Manager, I will be your supervisor,” Dwight stated, matter-o-factly, “You will report directly to me.”

“To the,” Michael interrupted, “Assistant TO THE Regional Manager, Dwight. And she doesn’t report to you, she reports to me because I’m the attractive single dad of this family and you’re just the weird uncle.”

“But, Michael,” Dwight protested, but was interrupted by Michael’s hand in his face.

“Shhh-Shut it, Dwight,” Michael said, waving his hand in Dwight’s face, “And it’s 8:15, where’s Jim?”

“Probably off being the slacker loser he is,” Dwight replied giddily, “You should fire him for his tardiness. Do it, Michael, do it. Fire him!”

“I’m not going to fire him, Jim brings in money,” Michael stated, “Besides, he’s my best friend.”

Pam watched the whole exchange wide eyed. “This place is a freak show,” she thought to herself, “I definitely will be continuing my job search.”

Michael got Pam set up at reception with basic phone instructions and a list of everyone’s extensions. She was studying the list of extensions trying to memorize them. Her eyes passed over the name of the one person she hadn’t met yet, Jim. She couldn’t wait to meet him. As Michael’s best friend, he had to be the biggest freak yet.

*************************************************

Jim’s eyes slowly opened and he rolled over. Glancing over at his alarm clock he realized why the sun was shining so brightly.

“Son of a,” he groaned.

He had either forgotten to set his alarm or slept right through it. His clock read 8:00 and he was due at work at that very moment. This happened to him at least once every couple of weeks. He’d oversleep, sluggishly get himself to work, and be reprimanded by Dwight for his tardiness with a threat of termination if it happened again.

“Maybe he’ll actually fire me today,” Jim thought to himself as he quickly showered, “And if he doesn’t, maybe I’ll just quit.”

Quitting had been something Jim had seriously been considering for a while now. He hates his job. Besides his occasional prank on Dwight, the paper industry was dull. He had always considered it a temporary stop on his way to his real dream, sports writing in Philadelphia. But, he had been at Dunder Mifflin for three years now and had made no progress in finding a writing job. Most weekday mornings, he felt like had no reason to get out of bed.

Jim pulled into the parking lot at 8:45 with his mind made up. If Dwight didn’t fire him today, he would put in his two weeks notice. He had a little bit of savings, he could stay afloat for a few months. Worst case scenario, he would move back in with his parents. He would be willing to do anything to get out of the hell that was Dunder Mifflin.

The sight he saw as he entered the office is likely one he will never forget. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen and she was filling the candy jar with his favorite, jelly beans.

“You must be the new receptionist,” he said, shaking her hand, “I’m Jim. Jim Halpert.”

“Pam Beesly,” she replied. He’s pretty sure she is blushing and a smile has crept across her face.

“Welcome,” he said, popping a couple of jelly beans into his mouth and then winking, “Let me know if you need anything.”

With that, she began to giggle. The sound of her laugh was the most adorable thing he had ever heard.

“I’m sorry, but what is so funny?” he questioned as he rested his elbows on her desk and leaned in closer to her.

“It’s just,” she stammered, trying to stop her giggles, “Michael said that you were his best friend so I was expecting you to be a huge weirdo.”

“I am definitely not Michael’s best friend,” he whispered so that no one else would hear him, “And I’m not a weirdo, at least I don’t think I am. Especially not compared to the nuts in this office. I‘m sorry to disappoint you, Beesly.”

She blushed again and he felt like had had embarrassed her. “Oh, I’m sorry. Should I have not, uhh,” he was barely able to talk. He felt like his tongue was too big for his mouth. Here he was on her first day making a fool of himself and clearly crossing some invisible barrier by calling her by her last name.

“No, it’s fine. Please don’t feel bad,” she replied, her color returning to normal, “It’s just no one’s ever called me by my last name, that’s all.”

“Well in that case, Beesly,” he said emphasizing her last name to see if he could make her blush again, “Welcome, again, and thanks for the jelly beans.”

“Anytime,” she smiled, “I have a huge bag, so feel free to grab some anytime.”

“Okay, maybe I won’t be quitting after all,” he thought, smiling to himself as he made his way to his desk.

Chapter End Notes:
So, whatcha think? I'm thinking the next chapter will be up in a few days as long as people want to see it continued. Don't forget to review.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans