- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I own nothing.

EmilyHalpert Helped me Beta this ENTIRE story. She is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

*

*


*


A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it. ~Jean de La Fontaine


Six full months have come and gone since the day Jim ran away – away from his parents, away from his so-called friends, away from everything that linked him to his old life. He hadn’t plan on being gone for that long. Besides, he knew he couldn’t hide forever. But still, Jim fled, thinking if he got a few days out of it, he would be content.


He snuck out during the night and drove – without direction, without care, but with a purpose. The next morning, he found himself in a small dinner looking at a very interesting job ad in the town’s local newspaper: Salesman Wanted - a young man with an eye for the future and an eye for paper. Needs qualities found in a best friend. No previous experience needed.


The last sentence caught his eye - no previous experience needed. Although Jim had plenty of noteworthy work experience, he knew he couldn’t mention it. As soon as he revealed where he worked, they would know who he was and his cover would be blown. Despite the odds, Jim called the paper company and was able to schedule an interview that afternoon.


His charm and amiable smile landed him the job. He started working as a salesman and the rest is history. He began living the life he always wanted – without the shadow of his parents hovering over him. Although his coworkers were difficult at times, he absolutely enjoyed working there, mainly because there were no expectations set out him to fulfill, a nagging feeling that he lived with his entire life.


Even though his plan seemed to be working perfectly, Jim waited for the day when this dream would fade like the embers of a campfire, with his parents knocking on his door. But as the days turned into weeks and the weeks turned into months, that day never came and he dove, head first, into his new life.


It was there that he met Pam, the office receptionist. She was unlike any girl he’d met. She didn’t have all the make-up, the hair extensions, the fake tan… Pam was real and he loved everything about her. She didn’t need expensive dinners or gifts to please her. A good office prank was sure to win her smile. Looking back, Jim was certain he fell in love with Pam from the moment she walked him to his desk


They became inseparable. She stole his heart and he fell more in love than he ever dreamed possible. If Jim hadn’t believed in soul mates before, he started to. Meeting Pam was fate, becoming her friend was a choice, but falling in love with her...Jim had no control over.


Six months into his new life, Jim was struggling to keep his old life from Pam. He wanted to tell her. He wanted to explain about the years of living an overprotected life with neurotic parents whose fears controlled his every movement. He wanted to finally share the load with her, but in the back of his mind he was fearful that it would push her away. But Pam would understand. Wouldn’t she?


“Do you think you could be happy here? In Scranton?” Pam asked him one day.


“As long as I’m with you,” Jim said pulling her for a kiss, but she playfully pulled away.


“Seriously! Don’t you think about what’s out there? What about expending your horizons? Reaching for the stars?”


“I know what’s out there and I can tell you that it doesn’t compare to being here with you,” he said leaving a trace of small kisses down her neck.


“That’s sweet, but really… What do you dream about? Don’t tell me you wanted to be a paper salesman as a kid.”


He chuckled, “No, I didn’t.”


“Then what? Tell me,” she said with imploring eyes. “What did little Jimmy dreamed of becoming when he grew up?”


“Umm…” Jim never dared to dream outside the future his parents had mapped out for him. That was what was expected of him and he never saw life any other way. Bu that was not what Pam wanted to hear. “I dreamed of being a race car driver,” he said, thinking it might do the trick.


“See? That’s more like it.”


“How about you?” He asked, changing the subject. “Did little Pammy aspire to be receptionist as a little girl?”


“No. Definitely not!” She said and went on to explain how much she wanted to be an artist. Jim watched Pam’s face glow with enthusiasm as she explained how she felt when she had a paintbrush in her hands. “I can say things better with color and shapes than I could say any other way.”


“I promise you that you will realize that dream someday,” Jim assured her.


She smiled at him and the din glow of the full moon coming through the opened shades in her bedroom cast a beautiful light over her. “Nah, I think that ship sailed a long time ago.”


“You never know, maybe Scranton will become the New York of the art world,” he quipped.


Pam chuckled. “Jim, I made my peace with it. You should too,” she said and curled up next to him.


He kissed the top of her head and whispered, “You’ll be big someday. I promise.”


Overall, Jim’s future looked promising. He had everything he’d ever wanted. But in the arcade of life, we are the pin balls and when the plunger strikes, it sends us careening into a world of chaos and pain. After six months of hiding, Jim came home after work one day and a sleek, black car was parked on his driveway. A sense of dread crawled up the back of Jim’s neck.


He stepped inside his house and found his dad standing in his living room.


“What are you doing here?” The memory of his miserable previous life stiffened his spine. "Who let you in?”


“Your roommate Mark is a very nice chap.”


“What are you doing here, dad?”


“Is that how you greet your father after months of not seeing me? Don’t worry I’m not staying long,” Gerry said.


Tension hummed in the air.


“What do you want?”


“I just want to make you a proposition.”


There was nothing his father could say or offer - Jim was not returning home. The monetary possessions had long ceased to inspire loyalty in him. “I don’t need anything from you. I’m doing just fine here.”


“Jim, as difficult as it may be for you to think rationally; consider what you’ve done. Don’t you realize the terror and despair your mother and I experienced when we realized you were gone? We thought our worst nightmare had finally come to pass. We just want what’s best for you. I know you won’t be coming home. I get that. But listen Jimmy, this company that you work for… Dunder-Mifflin, has an assistant manager position opening in Stamford. I know you can do better than a salesman. You have an MBA for God’s sake! If you won’t work for me, at least take this job.”


“I’m not leaving Scranton,” Jim said determined.


Gerry looked at his son and with a chuckle in his voice he asked, “Does she know?”


“Who?”


“You haven’t told her, have you?”


“I don’t know who you’re talking about,” Jim feigned ignorance.


“You can do better than her. She nothing but—“


“Stop!” Jim said, as a surge of anger traveled through his bloodstream. “I’m going to tell her tonight. Dad, I’m going to marry her.”


“You are going to marry her?” Gerry said in mockery. “Jimmy, you don’t even know her.”


“I don’t expect you to understand.I knowher, dad.”


“You do? What if I tell you that she knows who you are?”


“She doesn’t,” Jim said, shaking his head.


“Jimmy, open your eyes. She’s an opportunist just like all others.”


“Dad, you’re wrong.”


“She knows about your multimillion dollar trust fund, Jimmy. I’ve spent thousands of dollars tracking you for the last six months. I have proof. I just want what’s best for you. Trust me; this girl is only after our money.”


“Stop! You’re wrong!”


“Jimmy, she’s already planned her next move. She’s going to te—”


“Stop, dad. Just stop! I want you to leave,” Jim said opening the front door.


“Just listen, don’t believe her when she says she’s preg—”


Leave, dad.”


“Fine I’ll, but remember, I warned you.”



With that, Gerry left, and Jim slammed his front door. His dad was wrong. He didn’t know Pam like Jim did. She was not Katy. Katy had ulterior motives, he knew that now. But Pam, his sweet Pam, she wasn’t like those girls. She would understand when he told her tonight. She would see why he chose to hide this from her.


His cell phone began vibrating in his pocket and he answered with hysteria still in his voice. “Hello?”


“Hey,” Pam said, noting his sharp tone. “Everything okay?”


“No, Yeah… Everything is just fine. I was… um... I was running.”


“What?”


“Yeah, I decided to go for a run. I’m just a bit out of breath.”


“Okay weirdo. Are we still on for tonight?”


“Yeah, definitely. I’ll pick you up at 7?”


“Sounds good. See you then.”


“Love you,” he said.


“Love you too.”


Jim hung up the phone, and for some reason his father’s words kept resonating in his head. What did he know that Jim didn’t? What proof did he have? No, Jim decided. He wouldn’t be a puppet in his dad’s little show - not anymore. His dad was trying to manipulate and confuse him. He would be a fool to let those thoughts germinate in his mind. Or would he?


Jim was quiet all through dinner. He had almost given up telling her altogether, thinking that maybe his emotions had clouded his reason. His father’s words echoed deep within him. But his troubling conscience pressed in again. If he loved Pam, didn’t she diverse to know the truth about him?


“You’re quiet tonight,” Pam said. The cool night breeze tinged their cheeks as they walked outside. “Are you still upset over the wine stain on your shirt?”


“No… I um….” He bit down his bottom lip, gnawing the skin in the same away his father’s words were gnawing away at his brain. He stopped walking, took her hands in his, and said, “I need to tell you something.”


“So do I,” she said smiling from ear to ear.


Jim smiled and cupped her face with his hands, “I love you very much, you know that, right?” Pam nodded and Jim continued, “I just wanted to tell that—”


“I’m pregnant,” she exclaimed.


Jim looked at her and slowly slid his hands down from her cheeks. His stomach knotted to the point of nausea. “Wh…What did you say?”


“I’m pregnant, Jim.” She said lifting up on her toes and placing a kiss on his lips. “I wasn’t going to tell you yet, I haven’t gotten the official results, but I was so nervous, I couldn’t wait.” Pam said, but her joy was not mirrored on Jim.


“Jim, what’s wrong?” Pam asked. “I know we didn’t plan on this happening. I know this is not the best time, I know that. But—”


“Stop,” Jim said with tears in his eyes. “Just stop.”


“What?” Pam said confused.


“He was right…” Jim said more to himself than to Pam. “You know who I am.” His heart, already jumping and pumping, rose to his throat. “You know where I come from.”


“What do I know? Jim… What are you talking about? Who was right?” her voice sounded breathless and scared.


“You know about my family, our money.”


“What?” Pam said with tears in her eyes. “Jim, I don—”


“Stop Pam. You are not the first one to do this—”


“Jim, what’s going on? I don’t understand.”


“I love you Pam,” He said cupping her face and resting his forehead against hers. “I thought you were different. God, I must have been stupid to think you were different.” He let go of her a bit forcefully and said, “Why did you do this? I fell in love with you.”


Pam stood speechless with tears rolling down her face trying to force herself to breathe slow and deep.


“You are just like them.”


“Wait…” Pam said trying to piece together what Jim was saying. “Who are you?” Pam wiped the tears away from her face. “You’re not from Dunmore? Your parents didn’t die in a car accident? Your brothers are not overseas?”


“No, I was going to tell you everything tonight. I was going to ask you to marry me, Pam. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you,” he said racking his fingers through his hair. “But you knew that and I fell—”


“Jim, I don’t know what you are talking about.” More tears gushed down her cheeks and into the corners of her mouth. “What happened today?”


Jim walked closer to Pam and his breath came in rapid rasps against her hair. He took one of her hands and pressed it to his heart. The powerful beat hammered against her palm. “Why did you do it?”


“Did what?” A sob erupted from her throat. The sound was foreign, so different from her normal modulated tone. “I don’t know what you’re talking about!”


A beat of silence quivered in the air before Jim pulled himself from her and looked away. “Just say it, Pam. We’ll resolve this amicably… you’ll get what you wanted….”


“What I wanted?” She said in disbelief. “I wanted to marry you, to spend the rest of our lives together, raising this baby…” She said shaking her head. “Do you think I got pregnant on purpose? Is that what this is all about?”


“Just…don’t. You can stop pretending.”


“Stop pretending? I didn’t lie here, Jim. You did.” She said looking anywhere but him. “But I get it,” Pam said sniffling. “I can’t believe you think that little of me. But don’t worry about me taking your money, though…” she said and began to leave, but he grabbed hold of her arm.


“Pam, wait …We need to resolve this.”


“Let me go!” She said and her eyes pierced right through him. “There’s nothing to resolve. We’re done.”
Chapter End Notes:
This is just the beginning...

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans