- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Tell me have you ever wanted
Someone so much it hurts?
Your lips keep trying to speak
But you just can't find the words
Well, I had this dream once
I held it in my hands

At six o'clock, without fail I'd see her stroll into Poor Richards and make a bee line for the bar. I could tell she worked an office job by the way she dressed. As pathetic as it may seem, shes made my evenings more enjoyable with out even speaking two words between us. Actually, no, scratch that. We have spoken two words. Once in the too-small hallway leading to the bathrooms she muttered "excuse me" as she squeezed by. Yeah, that was an intriguing conversation.

Regardless, everyday after work I find myself wondering what color cardigan she wore that day and before I know it I'm pulling into the all too familiar parking lot. I know I should go up and talk to her, but no matter how many times I go over it in my head... I just can't find the words.

She was the purest beauty
But not the common kind
She had a way about her
That made you feel alive
And for a moment
You made the world stand still

Beauty? Oh yeah, she had that skill mastered without even having to take the course. Maybe most of the guys I work with wouldn't see it, but to me those frizzy curls were the most alluring thing about her. Though, What made her the most attractive was that fact that she didn't know it. You could tell by the way she solemnly sipped her beer. I could see it though, beneath her hard exterior, she was a feisty one. No one else might feel the same way, but for me, every single night when she walked in that bar, my world would stand still.

You had me dim the lights
You danced just like a child
The wine spilled on your dress
And all you did was smile

I laugh at the fact that it was you who came up to me. I guess my constant attendance to the bar hadn't gone as unnoticed by you as my confidence told me. God, I wish you could have seen the look in your eyes. I swear they gleamed even in the dim light of the bar. Before I even knew it, you'd pulled me on the dance floor. The tune was Bennie and the Jets, and I will never forget how your curls bounced as we danced. You'd gone the extra mile in fixing your hair that day, I could tell. Instead of the usual fizzy curls that I adored so much, they were more smooth. Either way, I still couldn't take my eyes off you. It may have been the forth beer you downed, but I could tell that for whatever reason, you were letting yourself go tonight. Maybe your were dusting off whatever had held you down in the past, because I saw a smile on your face that I had never seen before.

Yeah, it was perfect
And I hold it in my mind
Yeah, we owned the night

Last call rolled around, but I could tell this night wasn't done. How could it be? I still hadn't even asked you your name. On the drive to my apartment I used the comfortable silence to take you in. Feet on my dash, curls disheveled, and your shoes long since abandoned. Beautiful, thats the only thought that came to mind.

When the summer rolls around
And the sun starts sinking down
I still remember you
Oh, I remember you
And I wonder where you are
Are you looking at those same stars again?

We never ended up at my apartment, instead we veered off to a nearby park which was completely abandoned given the hour of night. Lucky me, I happened to have a blanket in my car. We walked to a pond in the park and just gazed up at the stars. I can't even remember what all we talked about, but I know every subject known to man was touched. I had never met anyone quite like you, I couldn't believe it was real.

I can remember asking you to pinch me. You giggled at that.

Do you remember when
We woke under a blanket
All tangled up in skin
Not knowing in that moment
We'd never speak again

Before I could lose the courage I had built up over, what was it, four months now? I leaned over and kissed you. Warm. I'll never forget how warm your lips were. They welcomed me eagerly, and I more than obliged. Looks like I can cross 'Have sex in a public park' off my bucket list, huh?

But it was perfect
I never will forget
When we owned the night
Yeah, we owned the night

Every now and then, if you're lucky, you're given a night to remember. No matter if you speak to the person you share it with again or not, you should never take them for granted by wondering 'what if?' Cause the 'what ifs' will distract you from the magic. It might downgrade my super macho appearance to say so (jokes), but I believe every person you meet for no matter how long holds a place in making you who you are. So you should never regret a single day. Or in this case, a single night. No matter the overall outcome.

Just remember, even if it was just for one night, you had the time of your life.

You owned it.


beeslys is the author of 1 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans