- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: I am not associated with The Office in any way, shape, or form. I do not own any of the characters, settings, original plots, etc. and no copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: This is my first try at a Jim/Pam fanfic, so bear with me. Actually, it's more of just a Jim scene that I've been picturing in my head ever since I went to bed crying over Casino Night. The song I had in mind for this fic is High and Dry by Radiohead, and it's also the title. I could just imagine that song playing in the background as he drove all the way to Stamford and I realized that it fit the situation so well. So, here it is!
Rain falls on his windshield as Jim Halpert stares out at the virtually empty highway, a frown on his face. His car continues plowing through the downpour. Each mile brings him closer to Stamford, the site of his new job. However, each mile also brings him further and further from Scranton, and he resists every urge to just turn around and go back. His eyes water the tiniest bit at the thought of the place.

Scranton had been a happy, albeit monotonous, time for Jim. It was where he had worked for years, playing pranks on his gullible yet too serious coworker, Dwight. Those pranks had gotten him through the workdays when it seemed like he was going to "die of boredom". "Die of boredom". Jim's mind goes into overdrive. He has commonly used this phrase when talking to Pam. Jim's breath hitches.

At this point, Jim doesn't know what to do. He wants to just pull over onto the shoulder of the road and try to remember how to breathe properly, but there's also a strong urge to keep driving. The farther he can get from Scranton, the better, right?

As he cruises down the highway, struggling to see through the intensifying rain, he feels as though he's trying to defy gravity. All he wants is to turn his car around, drive back and run into the office. He wants to stride right up to reception and finally have her admit that she's been harboring equal feelings for him and just kiss her again because he loves her that much. These desires hit him so sharply that he almost drives right off the road. But he can't do any of these things, the rational part of his brain screams. He also just can't bear to be rejected by the love of his life again.

The rain pounds on Jim's windshield harder, a constant reminder of his dreadful mood. His eyes start to glaze over with moisture, and he knows it's not a couple drops of rain that have found their way onto his face. Soon, he's found himself trying to keep himself from crying. Jim Halpert, however, is not a crier. He refuses to shed a tear over the situation, so he exhales deeply and distracts himself with the endless stretch of pavement that will carry him to Stamford. He doesn't know what state he's in at this point, and he honestly doesn't care, as long as he's not in Scranton. Anywhere but there.

All Jim can think about for the next hour, the next day, the next week, is how she left him high and dry. He presses his foot to the gas a little harder and takes a deep breath.


tayagrey6 is the author of 0 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans