- Text Size +
In The Pam Dichotomy, I made the statement that "the fate of JAM inevitably lies in Pam's hands." However, as I pondered it further, I realized that Jim has an equal stake in the destiny of the relationship. It occurred to me that there are indeed two people that have an equal chance of making or breaking JAM. We have always viewed Jim as a fixed element in the JAM scenario. He is the one person we could count on for keeping the possibility of JAM a reality. Pam's ambiguous behavior can be confusing and disheartening, but we've always relied on Jim to do or say something to renew our faith in JAM. We have no doubt that he will wait for her. However, Jim is a much bigger variable than we think. There is not doubt that he is deeply in love with Pam, but some of his inherent personality traits may prevent JAM from coming to fruition. Jim is a complicated individual that has more depth than just a sensitive everyday man madly in love with a woman he can't have. He has his own set of strengths and insecurities that play a big role in our favorite office romance. His personality creates a wealth of contradictions that create serious questions for JAM. Furthermore, his course of action when Pam finally makes a decision may not be as clear-cut as we think. It's just not as simple as it seems!

So once again, I find myself developing another JAM split personality. One side views Jim as a JAM Fixed Element and the other sees Jim as a JAM Variable. His paradoxical personality leaves me wondering if we can continue to rely on Jim to keep JAM a real possibility.

Jim as a Fixed Element

Jim's love for Pam is unbreakable. He is a mainstay in the JAM scenario no matter the circumstances.

1. Jim loves Pam. Since the Pilot episode Jim has worn his love for Pam on his sleeve for the world to see. Despite the fact that this is an obvious argument, it is worth exploring further to solidify Jim as a fixed element. It's key to recognize that Jim's love goes beyond a simple crush or puppy love. The most notable examples lies with those heart wrenching looks that he gives Pam in almost every episode. These looks are not drenched in sexual desire (well he is a man, so there is some of that!), but rather a serious longing to be with the person he loves. They have a sweet undertone that shows Jim is in it for the long haul.

Most of the time he is unaware that he is staring at her; his feelings are quite deep and on a subconscious level. He's only been snapped out of it on a couple of occasions, most notably in E-Mail Surveillance when he's staring at Pam in his bedroom. He only snaps out of it when he realizes the camera is there. The Alliance offers another example of this "snapping out of it" moment after he mentions "she so great," he realizes he's let too much out.

He's a very guarded individual when it comes to his emotions. He bottles things up the same way Pam does, due mostly to his sense of morality. This very idea furthers the notion, that he simply can't help it. He can't control how he feels all the time, and the looks are the manifestation of his lack of control. This lack of control is key to making him a fixed element. It keeps him from denying how he feels about her. Perhaps the most defining look is the infamous 27 seconds of silence. He's practically looking into her soul, telling her he loves her without actually saying a word.

Jim shows how he feels in a variety of ways, not just the looks; he also carries out actions. Jim literally takes care of Pam any chance he gets. In The Dundies Jim spends his night taking care of a very drunk Pam. He makes sure she doesn't trip on curbs and that she gets to Angela's car. In Michael's Birthday, it's him that helps her stay on her feet while she skates. Jim is always the one that sticks up for Pam whenever she is put down by Roy or anyone else. The best example of this shows up in Booze Cruise. Both Roy and Katy make fun of Pam's high school persona. Jim jumps right in and says "It's not hilarious." It's a quiet move that speaks volumes about how he feels about her.

Jim is also aware that he is Pam's safety net. He uses this role to make her feel safe about taking chances. He was the first and really only one (besides Jan) to support her dreams about being an artist and the internship in New York. In The Dundies he asks Michael to come up with a different Dundie for Pam, because he knows another longest engagement Dundie will be painful for Pam.

Another action that speaks volumes is how he describes her to Michael on two different occasions. On the Booze Cruise he refers to her as really funny and warm. During their lunch at Hooters in The Secret, he again describes her with a great sense of humor and says she's easy to talk to. This shows that his feelings go beyond the physical appearance, (granted, I'm sure he notices her physical appearance - he is a man after all!) and that his attraction extends to a deeper level. He is someone that feels a deep connection with her. In many ways, he treats her as if she is already his girlfriend. It's more than just a passing infatuation. It's deeper than a friendship. It goes beyond physical attraction. It's a deep and lasting love. These elements give Jim the fixed element status. He's not going anywhere due to the large emotional investment he has in Pam.

2. Jim has made more than one move. Jim has made a play for Pam on more than one occasion. He has shown on more than once occasion that he is not necessarily sitting idly by, waiting for Pam to come to him. He has shown some bravery in giving her a little push here and there. This speaks volumes for how serious he is about being with her. Some of his moves are barely noticeable and others are quite loud. Each of his subtle moves is aimed at getting Pam to realize, that first he has feelings without actually having to tell her and second to show her what she is missing.

His laid back personality makes most of these moves understated, but they are nonetheless important in establishing him as a fixed element. He persistently tries despite the fact that Pam is still with Roy. Some of the more subtle moves deal with him trying to get to her desk as much as possible. He uses the candy dish as his excuse, and he's in from there. Once he's at the desk, he almost always leans in on his elbows to be closer to her. He does this in almost every episode! It's most likely a daily occurrence. This shows his intrinsic need to be near her.

Jim also makes subtle moves aimed at judging Pam's feelings for him. He needs the encouragement from time to time, so he initiates situations to make her jealous. In Hot Girl he makes a date with Katy as a way to make Pam jealous. Katy is used on a couple of occasions to show Pam what she is missing. In The Fire he did not give Katy his extension, so she'd have to go through Pam. He also invites her to lunch as a way for Pam to see him with her. Jim also makes a date with Brenda to accomplish the same goals. Once he's made her jealous he becomes more confident that she feels the same way about him. This is important, because this sense of confidence is what keeps him hanging on.

Jim does not always rely on eliciting jealousy. In The Secret it's possible he told Pam about his (former) crush in order to see her reaction at the idea that he like her. Some of Jim's moves are aimed helping Pam realize the close connection they share. In the Christmas Party, he is thrilled to get her in Secret Santa. This is a golden moment to make a move so he puts together an extremely sentimental gift filled with inside secrets that are just between the two of them. Plus, he wrote a card to tell her how he feels, (we'll never know what it said!). This gift is not only a symbol of his heartfelt love, but its also a clever move. Jim knows this gift will at least bring her closer to him.

Jim's fascination with playing pranks on Dwight may also have connections of getting closer to Pam. Many of Jim's pranks, involve Pam in some way. The pranks offer an excuse to spend a lot of time with Pam, that isn't overly obvious. It is something special between the two of them. Plus, he loves her sense of humor and loves to see her smile. The pranks give him a reason to experience both. The Alliance offers a crystal clear example of this. He's able to get extremely close to her while laughing about Dwight. He would not have this opportunity without the prank!

Not all of Jim's moves are subtle, he has made a few bang worthy moves, especially in the latter part of second season. An early bang worthy move occurs in The Client. He actually takes advantage of a late workday and turns it into a romantic "date." His "bang" move actually occurs the next day when he refers to the evening as their first date. This is an instance of Jim getting really brave, which is something we don't see very often. He was attempting to get her to see that they do share something special and that there is a spark - too bad it backfired.

Jim's most brazen moves come in Booze Cruise and Casino Night. In Booze Cruise he actually is brave enough to give her that 27 second look. This can be classified as a move, because this one of only a few times that he lets her know exactly how he feels. Even without words, it is apparent by the look on his face that he loves her. He was expecting a response from her to let him know she was ready to hear him say it. Even though he didn't go through with telling her, the fact that he tried is enough to get Pam to notice. Later in the same episode, he decides its time to tell her. He actually goes to get her only to be interrupted by Roy. Again, the act of going after her is a big move on Jim's part. It may not have gone how he planned, but he did make the attempt.

Casino Night encompasses the boldest move Jim has made up to this point. In this instance he puts aside all of his inhibitions, insecurities, and fear to make the ultimate move. At this juncture he has no choice. Pam is almost married and he is contemplating a transfer. He's out of time and must make a move. Oddly enough this is one of the few moves that he didn't plan. It's obvious that this was a last minute decision for Jim. Not only does he tell her he loves her, he proceeds to tell her that he can't just be friends, he wants more. This comes even after the infamous "I can't." For once, he is not going to give up. He threw all his chips into the pot (hence Casino Night!). Unfortunately, Pam turns him down again.

Again, Jim shows he does have a backbone and comes back again to take one last chance. It's entirely possible he decided to use his status as Pam's safety net to get her to take a chance with him. When he made the gutsy move to kiss Pam, it shows that he hit a new plateau - he is no longer inhibited by his fears. This liberation is going to establish Jim as a fixed element in the strongest sense, because he has come too far to give up now. His emotional investment has hit a whole new level. What's more is that he knows he can never go back to the way it was before; this knowledge is terrifying to him, but he was still willing to go out on that limb.

This new level of courage makes him a fixed JAM element because even if she refuses him, he may be willing to make another move. Furthermore, the fact that Jim has met with minimal success in nearly every move he has ever made, shows that he is again in it for the long haul - he will not give up.

3. Jim's World Revolves Around Pam. It can be safely argued that Jim has some confidence issues in regards to Pam and relationships in general. It is, however, important to note that Jim is not completely lacking in confidence. He is a well-adjusted individual with a better than average sense of self and an overall average confidence with his life in general, (even though he's in a bit of a rut). Still, he like everyone else has some confidence deficiencies. His deficiencies happen to fall primarily in the area of relationships. He takes out his frustrations on others (mostly Dwight) in order to compensate for his shortcomings.

Jim's need for attention is readily apparent due to the way he constantly picks on Dwight. Basic human nature dictates that those who pick on others do so in order to elevate their own self worth and get attention. He clearly has some issues with his self-worth, otherwise he would not feel the need to play pranks on Dwight, (as funny as they are!) As mentioned above, these pranks may be a ruse to spend time with Pam. However, it is possible these pranks fill the void left by his inability to be with Pam. Jim also has a constant need to be the center of attention.

Two prime examples of this are in The Fire and Office Olympics. In both instances he is leading games in which everyone is looking to him in order to play. These actions cover two needs for Jim, it raises his confidence level and it increases his chances that Pam is paying attention to him. It's obvious that Jim's confidence level is fused with Pam. His confidence level fluctuates due to her responses to him.

Although there are many instances to prove this point, the events in The Carpet demonstrate Jim's confidence connection to Pam the best. Jim is forced to spend the day away from Pam. He is visibly lost when he can't go and talk to Pam at her desk when Roy is there. At lunch, he finds himself alone and is again lost. We don't see him attempt to sit with others, or make the best of the situation. Nor do we see him join Pam and Roy. This is most likely out of fear of being uncomfortable around Roy. This is after all the episode after The Secret. Roy's probably aware of Jim's crush via Michael's big mouth. At this point, Jim doesn't have the confidence to face the situation. Throughout the day we see him with a dejected and depressed expression on his face. It isn't until he listens to Pam's voicemail that we see a shift: his posture raises, his face lights up, and his is noticeably happier. He goes home feeling like he could conquer the world. The only question we must ask is why didn't he leave voicemails, e-mails, etc. throughout the day as well. Simple, his confidence level was shot down at the beginning of the day. Pam was a little standoffish with him when he initiated conversation with her.

So, why does Jim's confidence issues make him a fixed element?? Simply put, he is reliant on Pam to create his sense of confidence. Whether he has a good or bad day is entirely contingent on Pam. His perception of himself rests entirely on Pam's shoulders. The subconscious bridge of confidence he has built between himself and Pam, makes him unable to leave the JAM scenario with his self worth intact. Hence, he becomes a fixed element in the JAM scenario: He needs her in his world.

4. Jim is easily encouraged. One of the largest elements that makes Jim a fixed element is that he only needs the tiniest cue from Pam to keep him hooked. Because his confidence is hitched to her, the smallest acts entice him to stay connected to her. For example, in Diversity Day, the tiny act of falling asleep on his shoulder gave him a huge boost in confidence and renewed faith in one day being with her. He had a moment to pretend she was with him instead of Roy.

Pam also gives him renewed hope every time she flirts or teases him. Jinx is a primary example of this. He is so encouraged that he is brave enough to let one of those love drenched looks slip out. Pam's kiss at The Dundies also gives him renewed faith. It may have been a drunk kiss, but to him it represented hope that she may feel the same way about him. The last scene of him in that episode is proof enough!

In Sexual Harassment he receives a huge chunk of encouragement when he hears Pam's mom refer to him by name. He now knows that Pam talks about him. E-mail Surveillance offers another golden example. Jim is delighted to find Pam hanging out in his bedroom. He relishes her teasing and flirting.

Furthermore, she is in a very personal part of his life while in his bedroom and with his yearbook. She is showing interest in him and he loves it. Let's also not forget that even Michael was able to convince Jim to "never, ever give up!" Anyway, Jim has had feelings for Pam for at least 3 years and he has shown no sign of giving up any time soon. The fact that he is so keyed into the tiniest hint of encouragement solidifies Jim as a fixed element. He will always be there waiting for Pam to give him the green light.

Jim as a JAM Variable

Jim can only take so much and is at his breaking point. He will walk away from the JAM scenario.

1. Jim has been rejected too many times. Jim is a sensitive guy. He is easily hurt and takes things personally. Pam has crushed Jim on more than one occasion. In Halloween he is crushed when Pam encourages him to go after the job in Maryland. He interprets it as her not needing him around.

Jim has had to watch the Pam and Roy relationship for as long as he's had feelings for Pam. His jealousy is painfully clear in The Fire when Pam kisses Roy. He literally cannot handle it. He faces the same situation in Basketball when Pam lovingly kisses Roy. He has to look away due to his frustration and jealousy with the fact that she is not kissing him. He acts out on this frustration by pushing Roy down during the game.

His frustration is also clear in Hot Girl when Roy teases Pam at his desk. His facial expression speaks loud and clear that he is frustrated and uncomfortable with the whole situation. He is losing his hope that he has a chance with her. In a sense, his frustration level is creating an entirely new sense of rejection. He's had to come face to face with the reality the Pam has chosen Roy over him.

In Booze Cruise he is absolutely devastated when the wedding date is set. This happens right after the 27 seconds of silence, a very special moment between them. Thus, she essentially reasserts her choice of Roy over him with her enthusiasm for the wedding.

Perhaps the largest rejection comes in Casino Night. She turns him down twice. It literally sends him into rejection overload. He is devastated and lets a tear escape. The whole experience was emotionally draining for him. There is yet another possible rejection with the kiss. Following the lead of the JAM pessimist (see The Pam Dichotomy), Pam did end the kiss. He can easily interpret this as another rejection. This series of rejections has wreaked havoc on his confidence.

As mentioned earlier Jim has some confidence deficiencies. The fact the Pam has been steadily hacking away at his confidence lends to the conclusion that this last rejection will be the final straw. Especially, after he went out on such a limb in confessing his feelings. He essentially gambled away his remaining confidence regarding any chance he has with her. A man can only take so much emotional battering. He is completely reliant on her for his sense of confidence and happiness. This reliance will be his downfall.

Another rejection will take away his foundation for self worth and happiness; he will have to look for it elsewhere. Jim is a JAM variable due to the fact that Pam has made it quite clear to him that she is with Roy and not him. Jim has given her multiple opportunities to choose him and she hasn't. Jim cannot handle another rejection. He will walk away before it happens again. His large emotional investment has not paid out any returns.

2. Jim's moral center will get in the way. Jim is also a JAM variable because he will do anything that makes Pam happy. He cares more about her happiness than his own. Jim also realizes that Pam is in a long-term relationship with someone she does care about and probably loves. These two elements make up the core of Jim's moral center.

This moral center is what has created a sense of hesitancy in regards to Pam. It will ultimately lead to Jim walking away. Jim saw how happy Pam was when Roy finally set the wedding date. This is mainly why he chose not to attempt to tell her he loved her at the last minute. He didn't want to spoil her happiness. In the end, he will walk away if Pam once again turns him down. If she chooses Roy, he will accept that decision because it will make her happy. Jim doesn't have it in him to push the issue at this point.

In many instances we see examples of Jim being immensely uncomfortable with his feelings due to the fact that his emotions are in direct contradiction with his moral center. He knows its wrong to be attracted and to be in love with a woman who is involved with someone else. After the kiss at The Dundies his emotional response is a combination of sheer joy that she kissed him and awkwardness due to not knowing how to comprehend it. He's not sure how to interpret it and he finds that troubling. Again, he is fighting his moral center. He knows he shouldn't have enjoyed that kiss.

The Secret provides a large amount of insight on this point. After Michael opens his big mouth, Jim is on a damage control mission. He is uncomfortable with people knowing about how he feels, especially Pam. He knows he shouldn't have these feelings for her. He has a certain amount of guilt associated with his feelings. He is not only protecting his ego, but he is also protecting Pam. He doesn't want to upset her. He knows if she is totally aware of his feelings she will have to choose. He knows she's not ready for that.

That being said, he does build up enough nerve to push the envelope in Casino Night. He pushes the boundaries of his moral center by essentially forcing her to make a choice. He will however, accept any choice she makes. All of this lends to the fact that his sense of morality and his desire for her happiness will overrule his need to be with her, thus making Jim a JAM variable.

3. Jim is paralyzed by fear. Jim may also walk a way from the JAM scenario due to his issues of fear. His fear falls into 3 main categories: Roy, losing Pam, and dealing with his feelings.

We know Jim is tad afraid of Roy. We get the first taste of this in The Alliance. He does not stand up to Roy when he pushes him off of Pam. Furthermore, in Boys and Girls, Jim shows a tinge of fear when Roy confronts him about his (former) crush on Pam. Roy is not a guy Jim wants to mess with. The main root of his Roy fear is that he knows it will upset Pam and he runs the risk of losing her on some level.

Speaking of which, Jim's fear of losing Pam in any sense is emotionally paralyzing. The Fight provides a glowing example of this emotional paralysis. After the flirting goes a little too far and Pam hollers at him to put her down, the look on his face is one of emotional terror. He is terrified that he's possibly lost her. We see him later trying to make up with her via e-mail and by honoring the chip agreement. We also see this fear play out in Conflict Resolution. He was desperate to make up with her. In many cases we see this fear manifest itself by way of escape routes.

There are many ways that Jim has escaped facing his feelings for Pam, (see #2 for why), however only a few are real standouts. We have seen him on a couple of occasions make dates with other women in order to take a break from the intensity of his emotions for Pam. In Hot Girl, he makes a date with Katy shortly after Roy teases Pam at his desk. That situation created a large loss of hope for Jim and he needed a shot of confidence. Katy is his escape from dealing with his real feelings. During the Christmas Party, Jim removes the card that professes his feelings for Pam before she can read it. He is terrified of losing her on any level.

In Booze Cruise, he has a golden opportunity to tell her how he feels. Instead, he says nothing and lets her walk away. He won't take the chance of losing her completely. This type of fear cause him to take slow and cautious steps, which in turn plays into the fact that most of the moves he's made on her are understated. Jim also plans an escape from the wedding when he plans a trip to Australia that departs 2 days before the event. This showcases his fear and inability to deal with his emotions for Pam.

Furthermore, Jim has a built in escape route if Pam ultimately refuses him after he confessed his feelings. He has an escape by way of transfer to Stamford. This escape is probably what gave him the courage to tell her in the first place; however, the motivation has its foundation in fear. He is well aware that there is a strong possibility that she will say no. If she says no, he doesn't have to deal with the rejection in front of his face on a daily basis if he's in Stamford. All of these escape routes have their basis in fear. He is simply too afraid to act on his feelings.

Add all these fears together and Jim automatically becomes a JAM variable. His fear is going to get the best of him. In fact it already has. That much is clear in his intention to transfer to Stamford. He is unable to deal with Pam head-on, so he is running away. We know he is running away, because the wheels were in motion long before he even thought of telling her how he felt.

4. Jim gave it his best shot. Jim has spent the last three years pining for a woman he can't have. He may finally come to the realization that he has used everything in his romantic arsenal and did not win the girl. Jim has stepped over the line dividing friendship and romance on a number of instances and came up empty.

It's possible that his guilty conscious of stepping over that line will cause him to throw in the towel. A few over the line instances include "our first date" scenario," flirting at the dojo, and of course the events of Casino Night. He possibly stepped over this line to test the waters of Pam's feelings for him. Once he has this information he can safely convince himself that she does not love him.

However, the main point here is, Jim has no other move to make. He told her he loved her and he kissed her. He knows there are really no other options left. It's either her or move on. Jim will come to the realization that Pam may belong with Roy and not with him, despite his best efforts. This makes him a variable. He will not stick around and make a continuous fool of himself. Jim actually does have more self worth than that! He has enough confidence and respect for himself to start over.

Chapter End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


scrantonbranch is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Jim Paradox also liked 1059 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Jim Paradox. The next story in the series is The Jim Paradox: Season 3.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans