- Text Size +

In the very last scene of Season 3, Pam was literally in the throws of euphoria as Jim asked her out to dinner.  Two months later, the euphoria continues as Jim and Pam finally found a way to be together.  Pam is literally exuding joy through every pore of her being.  This joy is undoubtedly from her newfound relationship with Jim, but it’s also a product of Pam’s transformation into FNB.  Pam’s self confidence and assertiveness is obviously apparent with her first scene in Fun Run.  Her internal make-over has now transferred externally with new clothes, a new hair-do and a glowing smile that barely leaves her face.  Even her walk is lighter with the weight of self-consciousness lifted.  She is a new woman and she loves who she has become.  It’s good to see all of Pam’s hard work last season has paid off.  

Pam is truly happy for the first time in really long time.  Jim is in her life and she is chasing her dreams.  Although there was no mention of her artistic ambitions, a large set of colored pencils sits on her desk. (look closely as she comforts a crying Angela).  It’s obviously something she is still pursuing and hopefully this season will bring more progress in her endeavors.  Pam has created a new life for herself full of new possibilities.  However, Pam’s transformation into FNB is still ongoing.  Pam has truly reinvented herself, but now comes the critical step in maintaining FNB.  There are still traces of insecurity remaining, but Pam is consciously working towards overcoming hurdles.  In a few instances in this episode, she forced herself to confront a hurdle that stands in her way.

Pam’s indelible giddiness throughout the episode was as endearing as it was contagious.  Seeing Pam find so much happiness with Jim is truly the payoff all JAM fans have waited to see since Season 1.  It’s been a given all along that Jim could make her happy more so than Roy on his best day.  Fun Run provided unequivocal proof that Jim knows exactly what Pam needs and will give it to her.  It was glorious watching Jim and Pam find so much joy and happiness in one another, but little alarms are also blaring.  Jim and Pam have entrenched themselves into their own little world in which they alone populate.

As most new couples, they are in the lightheaded, euphoric honeymoon period of their relationship.  The second chance nature of their relationship only amplifies the sense of euphoria.  Both are more than aware of how lucky they are to be with one another, given the tumultuous nature of their relationship last year.  “The bubble” that Jim and Pam have been able to create for themselves is essentially a new escape tactic that both have enabled to simply enjoy some time together, before the magnitude of their feelings hits with a deafening roar.  

Keeping their relationship a secret from everyone adds to the bubble as it keeps the dream going in place of reality.  Once the relationship becomes reality, the deeper issues hiding in both of them will come to the surface.  They both have strong feelings for one another and it’s obvious they haven’t talked about it yet.  Right now they are focused on making up for lost time.  They actually need this time alone to simply reconnect and have fun with one another.  Their relationship is still very new, which means time is needed to explore and find a safe place where emotional honesty and trust can be built.  

The season opener answered so many questions in regards to JAM’s status, but it has left gaping holes as well.  No specific timeline was given in terms of how long they’ve been dating.  Furthermore, there is almost no information about what Jim and Pam have discussed concerning their feelings.  There’s no solid evidence about whether the past is going to be left in the past or if it’s going to be an issue between them.  Perhaps the most perplexing is the absence of Jim and Pam’s first date.  The only known fact is that they went on that date and it apparently went very well.  There’s a big gap between The Job and Fun where any number of things could’ve happened to lead Jim and Pam to their current status.  Until the events of the interim are revealed, it’s difficult to ascertain JAM’s relationship with any certainty.  But, it’s worth a shot! 

At Pam’s Desk

Pam is leaning on her desk with Jim by her side as the IT guy tries to fix her computer.  Both are clearly basking in the others presence. They are both very relaxed and friendly in their body language as they’re not afraid to be close.  The IT guy proceeds to inform Pam of some computer don’ts as he tries to fix her crashed computer.  He asks what exactly she was doing and surprisingly, she admits she clicked on ad for a celebrity sex tape.  There’s no way of knowing if she did it on purpose or on accident, but the interesting thing about it is that she can find the humor in her error.  Old Pam would have turned bright read weighed down in self-consciousness.  Instead, FNB looks to Jim and laughs it off with friendly banter.  Jim asks her, “Really, what kind of celebrity?”  She smiles and playfully answers “Not relevant” as she looks down at her desk.  

Jim prods her further by asking how much she paid for it and she again answers, “Not relevant” in response.  She can’t help but relish his teasing as he says, “You paid for it?!”  She looks right at him smiling and laughing on the inside as she says, “It all happened so fast.”  She smiles wider in response to his shocked smile.  She knows Jim is completely floored by this revelation, but she doesn’t get flustered or defensive.  FNB doesn’t get embarrassed anymore, instead she finds a way to laugh at herself.  It’s just another amazing characteristic that has developed in FNB.  It’s another indicator that Pam is continuing to grow.  

Talking Head #1:

Pam’s glow continues to dance across her face as she tells the camera about the aftermath of The Job, “Jim and I went to dinner a few times when he got back from New York.  The joy she feels inside refuses to be contained no matter how hard she tries.  A smile continually sneaks out as she speaks.  The story is obviously rehearsed as she can barely keep a straight face.  Here eyebrows raise and her mouth pulls back a little, almost begging the camera crew to buy her story.  Furthermore, her facial tics indicate she is desperate to blab.  She wants to tell the world how she feels, but she is held back by keeping the relationship a secret.  It’s hard for her to hold back something so big and wonderful after she learned how to remove the barriers to her emotions last season.  

She continues the charade by explaining she “talked him through his breakup.”  The statement is supposed to throw the camera crew off the scent by making it seem like their date was simply two friends going out to dinner.  Her face is again attempting to sell her story, but it’s hard not to notice her eyes light up at the demise of Jim and Karen’s relationship.  She pauses to grin and shrug, reliving the thrill that Jim dumped Karen and came back to her.  Pam may have liked Karen as a person, but she didn’t like her anywhere near Jim.  Pam caps off her story by saying, “It's really nice to be good friends again.”  This may have been part of the “show” but it’s something Pam really means.  Her face is much more relaxed as this isn’t something she needs to sell to anyone.  She missed Jim’s friendship last season and now she has him back in her life.  He is still her best friend regardless of the status of their relationship.  The missing piece of her life is finally back in place.

Weekend Plans:

The charade continues at Pam’s desk as Pam discusses weekend plans with Jim.  She tells him she is going to a flea market and he counters with a mountain bike ride.  This is purely for show for everyone around them. The conversation is light and casual, but there is an air of feigned interest on both sides.  It’s a made up story with no foundation, meant only to throw people off the trail.  Pam’s face is even a little amused as they run their lines.  She is enjoying the game of keeping their relationship a secret.  For the first time in a long time, they have the equivalent of an inside joke.  

In a sense they’re colluding on a prank on everyone in the office.  It’s fun, exciting and with Jim.  Humor has always connected them and it’s clear they are finding the fun in their situation. It almost makes sense that the beginning of their relationship is coupled with a little prank.  The need to reconnect is being met by the secret they share.  It’s just between them, therefore, creating a bubble that is their own little world.  Playing the game keeps everyone out of the bubble, allowing them to just be with one another without distraction.  The bubble is a nice escape from reality, a special place that only they know about.  It’s a perfect place to rebuild a friendship and explore something more than that without feeling the heat of co-worker curiosity or being the subject of office gossip.  Pam has always been a private person, so the idea of keeping the relationship a secret has a certain amount of appeal for her.  

Pam vs. Accounting:

In a glorious display of FNB, Pam takes on accounting as both Kevin and Angela give her reason to spread her wings.  In her usual warm voice she says, “Hey guys, we're all gonna visit Meredith for lunch. And were kicking in $5 for flowers.”  Kevin immediately begins to prod her about Jim, “Who's we, you and Jim?”  She doesn’t flinch one bit as she responds, “No, uh, me Stanley and Phyllis so far.”  Kevin doesn’t give up as he continue to “investigate,” “Oh, I bet Jim goes too.” Pam continues to show composure making sure Kevin doesn’t break into the bubble, “ Yeah, I haven't asked him yet.”   Still refusing to relent, Kevin tries again, “Oh, I bet you ask.”  Pam is now getting amused at Kevin’s persistence knowing full well he’s getting frustrated at her lack of information.  She smiles slightly as she responds, “I was planning on it.”  Kevin tries one last time with “I bet you were,” but Pam  has decided she’s had enough.  With Kevin, it’s just going to be one long endless circle.  

She breaths out a breath of her own frustration as she turns her attention to Angela to ask if she is coming to the hospital.  Angela’s excuse of her sick cat does not impress Pam.  In this situation, Pam’s compassion is geared towards Meredith and not a sick cat.  When Michael explained Meredith had been hit by a car, Pam was immediately effected.  Her face was genuinely full of anxiety and worry.  Angela’s lack of concern for Meredith is unacceptable to Pam, which sends FNB into action.  Pam asks, “Can't your other cats keep her company?” as a soft way to convince Angela that she needs to visit Meredith.  Angela’s response, “There's bad blood, jealousies, cliques,” only irritates Pam more as she watches Angela trying to wiggle out of seeing Meredith.  

Unwilling to let Angela win, Pam pulls out the big guns, “Angela, you're the chairman of the party planning committee. I shouldn't even be planning this, it's your job.”  Pam knows how seriously Angela takes her job of being the PPC chairman and knew this would give her a good hard kick in the pants.  Pam can’t get Angela to care about Meredith, but she can at least get  her do the right thing.  Pam bobs her head into victory nod and smiles.  She’s proud of herself for standing up to Angela.  Furthermore, she wasn’t afraid or hesitant to do so.  Her reaction to her victory indicates that Pam is very much aware of her continuing transition into FNB.  Pam is still making a conscious effort to maintain her newly acquired assertiveness.  Last season, she went through the growing pains of recreating herself and now she in the process of refining those changes.

Break Room #1:

Pam sits with Jim in the break room along with several other co-workers, enjoying a soda as he munches on popcorn.  The body language between them is again relaxed and comfortable.  Her shoulders are loose and her hands are openly on the table, without fear of being close to Jim.  Jim mirrors her with loose shoulders and a relaxed stance.  There is no tension between them.  This could be a result of the honeymoon stage of their relationship, but it’s hard not to wonder where the tension that characterized their relationship for a year has gone.  Pam’s yogurt lid may have healed wounds, but it’s not a magic wand.  That tension has either been dealt with or swept under the rug.  Given the sense of euphoria between them, there must be a broom in the corner somewhere.  Neither wants to pop the bubble to deal with reality.  Pam is beyond thrilled to have Jim back in her life and the last thing she wants to do is remind him why he was gone for so long.  

Michael makes an appearance in the break room to make announcement, which he quickly forgets due to jabs from Oscar and Phyllis.  After recovering from his flustered state, he starts to defend himself for hitting Meredith, by suggesting they plant a tree as a way to focus on something more positive than the tragedy at hand.  Again annoyed at the lack of concern for Meredith, FNB steps into action, “Okay, we're leaving for the hospital at 1.”  She want to get everyone’s mind back where it belongs, but Michael refuses to play along.  She ignores his, “So, like a freedom tree,” reference and immediately changes the subject to carpooling and formulating a plan for a card to give to Meredith.  Furthermore, she stretches her FNB muscle by planning times for specific times for when groups can go and visit Meredith.  

This take charge attitude is entirely new for Pam, but she is  embracing it completely.   Unfortunately, Michael refuses Pam’s plan, despite her best attempts to stand up to him.  She tried three times to get Michael to listen to and accept her plan, which is pretty amazing.  Old Pam would’ve given up after the first time.  Pam reluctantly gives into Michael, but she isn’t defeated.  There isn’t a trace of being self conscious, only annoyance at Michael’s attention span and one track mind. Go FNB!

Conference Room #1 - Religion:

During Michael’s insane religion discussion, Pam and Jim are situated at opposite ends of the conference table.  Again, they are playing the game of keeping a secret.  Sitting apart just expands the illusion that nothing is going on between them.  However, they have a clear view of each other to swap non-verbal jokes and communication.  Just when neither is able to handle any more of Michael’s ramblings, Jim provides an escape plan by offering to do some research on Michael’s mythical sacrifice animal.  Pam picks up on it right away and says, “I can help you with that.”  It’s a glowing example of how communication lines are reconnecting between Pam and Jim.  

She jumps up and joins Jim in exiting the conference room, while everyone else remains stuck in Michael’s insanity.  The symbolism behind this scene is undeniable.  Pam joins Jim as they head into their own little world, where it’s just the two of them.  They’ve given the slip to everyone as they engage in their own little escape from reality.  This scene is just a different way of depicting the bubble.  The discomfort and tedium of Michael’s madness is representative of dealing with the deeper issues of their relationship.  Walking out of the conference room is the equivalent of entering the bubble zone which blocks all that distracts from the euphoria of a new relationship.  

Picking Up Jim/Talking Head #2 (Overlap):

The game continues as Pam walks out to her car alone, with the intention of picking up Jim down the street.  Apparently, they’ve done this before, as the orchestration of the act is perfect.  She pulls off to the side of the street and waits with her head on the steering wheel, probably as a way to obscure her face should anyone drive by while she waits.  Within seconds, Jim arrives and hurriedly gets into the car wearing a huge dorky grin on his face, (Awwwww).  She leans towards him expectantly, waiting for the inevitable and now familiar kiss.  He obliges by leaning over to give her a quick kiss, while also reaching up to lightly touch her face, (insert squeal).  It’s a perfectly tender moment in a matter of seconds.  

Obviously, this is an act that’s been perfected during the short term of their relationship.  She smiles widely after the kiss, elated from his touch.  As she drives away, both are giggling and wearing mischievous grins denoting their belief that they’ve gotten away with their little secret once again.  They are proud of themselves for keeping the bubble intact for yet another day.  The fun and excitement of it all has yet to wear off.   They are enjoying every second of their subterfuge and each other. 

As the scene plays out, an overlapping talking head has Pam reasserting her claim that she is not dating anyone.  The game is in full swing as Pam tries to convince the camera crew that she is single.  Her tone is adamant, but soft at the same time.  Pam can’t hide the sheer warmth that she feels from her relationship.  She is comfortable and free from the weight that hung around her neck for years.  All the angst and pain from the last year is absent from her voice.  Pam continues to reinforce her assertion by adding, “And even if I was, I don’t think it’s anyone’s business.”  This is meant to get the camera crew off her case, but it’s also an indicator of Pam’s usual need for privacy.  If she can keep something to herself, she will.  It’s a characteristic that has been around since the beginning.  

Both Pam and FNB protect her privacy.  However, this statement’s primary purpose is furthering the game of keeping her relationship with Jim secret.  It isn’t just a privacy issue for Pam herself, it’s for both of them.  They need to maintain the bubble to keep their little fantasy world alive.  The excitement and “high” of the new relationship is amplified by the secrecy and neither wants to let that go, yet.  Pam continues to pile on reassurance of her single status by stating, “I mean, when I do fall in love, like when it’s for real . . .”  Again, this is meant to throw off the camera, but it’s obvious she is completely in love.  Her voice softens when she says the word “love.”  It’s been literally years since she’s loved anyone openly, without hiding.  It’s this softness that shows emotional honesty is something Pam has embraced.   She knows how she feels and she isn’t afraid.  However, she isn’t about to shout it from the rooftops, “ . . . the last person I’m going to talk about it to is a camera crew or my co-workers.”  

Apparently, Pam has learned her lesson.  The only person who needs to know the truth, is the one that really matters.   There’s no way of knowing if Pam has told Jim exactly how she feels, but it’s obvious she is showing him.  Regardless, Jim is aware of how she feels one way or the other.  It may be a secret from the world, but it’s not a secret from him.  

The next segment of her talking head provides some interesting insight into Pam’s transition into FNB.  She says, “Almost marrying Roy Anderson was as close to Pamela Anderson as I ever want to be.” Just as before, Pam is incredibly conscious of her transition into FNB.  She can clearly see the difference of who she was while with Roy and the woman she has become.  She loves her new life and her new self.  She won’t give it up for anything and will continue to work on growing.  For the first time, Pam really is fine with her choices.  Mainly because she made them for herself, instead of letting someone choose for her.  This statement is essentially saying goodbye to Old Pam for good.  

Pam understands that she has an unbelievable second chance with Jim and she isn’t going to blow it by returning to her old ways.  The past is riddled with could have’s and should have’s.  She is more than aware that she is living the life she could have had a year ago.  As a result, she is grabbing onto Jim and life in general with all her might, while leaving fear by the wayside.  

Pam caps off her talking head by stating, “Trust me, when I fall in love, you’ll know.”  It’s again part of the game, but it’s also another indicator of emotional honesty.  She knows how she feels, but she is unaware of how easily it plays across her face.  She is trying to hide it for the sake of the bubble, but even her voice glows with the reality that she loves Jim.  It’s not something she has to keep hidden from herself any longer.  She’s allowed herself to feel it, embrace it, and express it to the person who should have known a long time ago.  

In an interesting side note, Pam is the one driving.  It’s very symbolic of Pam’s role in the relationship.  She is clearly taking the lead in JAM so far.  She is driving him “home” and he is along for the ride.  She has taken the lead on everything else in her life, so it stands to reason she is doing the same with Jim.  Mainly because she knows he is incapable of moving things along at this point.  She is the glue keeping them together. 

Staring At Jim:

In a nice throwback to Season 2, the camera catches Pam stealing a look at Jim. She can’t help but smiles as she stares at him.  Her smile is dripping with love and a sense of nostalgia.  Jim is back in his old desk, with his shaggy hair and rolled up sleeves, (yay!).  He is right where he belongs and it’s good to have him back.  Things are normal again, with the added bonus of their new relationship.

This feeing of nostalgia is harmless for the moment, but it’s something to keep an eye on.  The idea of Jim can create of false impression of the real Jim that sits before her.  He appears as though he’s old Jim, but he is a different man than he was on CN.  Her face also has a the feeling of disbelief that it’s all really happening.  She can’t help but look at him and be thankful for the chance.  She let him slip through her fingers once, and she’s not going to let it happen again.  

Break Room #2 - Race Strategy:

Pam sits next to Jim in the break room, enjoying a bag of chips as he asks her, “So What’s your strategy for this race?”  Pam replies with a healthy dose of playful banter, “Well, I’m gonna start fast . . .Then I’m gonna run fast in the middle . . .” Jim plays along with her “strategy” by feigning surprise, “What?”  Pam continues the banter, “Then I’m gonna end fast.”  Jim keeps the joke going by asking, “Why won’t more people do that?”  Pam lightly laughs and responds, “Cause they’re stupid.”  It’s a fun little moment between them as they trade sarcastic jokes, just as they did before the Great Divide of last year.  

It’s another example of how Jim and Pam’s connection continues to strengthen as does their ability to play off one another.  Before they can play any further, the camera interrupts them.  Both Pam and Jim are confused by the camera’s presence. unsure why it’s so focused on them.  Pam is noticeably weirded out by the close proximity of the camera.  She doesn’t like the crew prying into the bubble.  They are invading her little world.  When silence ensues, Jim finally asks, “What?”  

Conference Room #2 - Caught:

Pam and Jim sit in the conference room as if they are sitting in the principal’s office.  They silently watch the video evidence of their secret playing on the TV screen.  Pam looks immediately to Jim, without saying a word to the cameras.  She is waiting for Jim to speak first.  Pam knows they’ve been caught and there’s no way out of it, but she still waits for him to make the next play.  From this point on, it’s obvious that the game was Jim’s idea, not hers.  He is clearly the lead player.  Jim fumbles for an answer, “Oh, ah... No that's not... I mean that wasn't, ah…”  Pam knows he has nothing, but she is quick to back him up, “Yeah... That was um…” hoping to give him the boost he needs to come up with something brilliant.  Unfortunately, Jim stumbles further, “I mean I can see how it would seem a bit like we uh... How it looks like um... I mean now a days you can edit anything, right? I mean you can edit anything to look like um... Anything.”  

She watches him, while slightly nodding her head, but she knows he’s not convincing anyone.  He needs a little more help so she tries to give him another set-up, “Yeah, I gave him a ride home because…”  Pam looks at Jim hoping he can piggyback on her prompt.  She’s silently telling him, “C’mon honey fill in the blank,” but instead he simply says, “Right.”  She realizes he’s expecting her to finish the sentence.  Knowing Jim’s mind is blank and they’ve been caught red-handed, Pam blurts the truth, “. . . We’re dating.” Jim is shocked she told the truth, but she is thrilled to finally let it all out in the open.   

It felt good to let her true feelings out.  After last year, she is not a fan of holding in her emotions.  In all likelihood, theyhaven’t talked about their relationship status in specific terms or their feelings.  This is the first time it’s been defined as anything.  Pam may have been waiting for Jim to find a way to play the game, but she was also waiting to see if he was going to give a relationship status indicator.  Her phrase, “we’re dating” was almost a guess.  Since he wouldn’t or hasn’t defined their relationship, she jumped in and gave it a name for the first time.  In connection to the concept that Pam is in the driver’s seat, she is again taking the lead.  FNB knows no bounds as she again rises to the challenge.  

Jim’s reaction of surprise isn’t just for her revealing the truth, it’s also for defining the relationship. She looks to him after saying it, unsure of how he’ll react .  She smiles widely shortly after she knows Jim accepts the status she designated.  Knowing she has his approval, she says “Ah, yeah” with conviction, as if this is the first time she has a clear idea on where the relationship is going.  Her tone is unmistakably indicative that this is the first time they’ve acknowledged their status to anyone, including themselves.  Although, there is agreement on where they stand, there is still a little touch of insecurity.  Pam continues to say, “ We haven't told anybody, but it's going really great. . . Right?”  It’s true they haven’t told anybody yet, including each other! She is even a little flushed at the exhilaration of defining the relationship.  For her, everything is going great.  

Pam is ready to be with Jim and has no hang-ups.  She is all smiles and gushing with love, but it all stops for a brief moment, when Jim hesitates to verify her statement.  Her heart literally stops.  She looks to him a little confused, even a little hurt that he hasn’t jumped right in to join her.  She feels the need to prod him a little further with her “Right?”  This is a strong sign that there is some insecurity within the relationship. The bubble has popped for the moment, allowing for issues of insecurity, communication, and emotional honesty issues to make their way into the euphoria filled fantasy.  

Pam knows the relationship is great for her, but she isn’t sure about how Jim is feeling.  They aren’t talking about it, and Pam can’t be certain from just reading Jim.  She is nudging Jim to communicate his feelings, which indicates communication lines are still on the mend when deeper emotional issues are at hand.  There was a time when she wouldn’t need to ask him, she knew by simply looking at him.  The goofy grin on his face isn’t enough to convince her that everything really is going great.  She needs his verbal reassurance because she doesn’t feel it.  He is a little closed off and she can’t get through that wall quite yet.  Pam is noticeably relieved when he turns to her and says, “It is going really great.” Her gushy smile resumes along with mushy eyes.  The bubble has been restored.

Conference Room #3 - Fun Run Plans:

Pam sits with Jim, Michael, and Dwight to finalize plans for the Fun Run.  In particular, they are deciding on how to spend the funds.  After a riveting argument over whether the funds should be presented on a big check or not, Pam  and Jim share a small non-verbal joke.  Dwight’s concern that there would be less money for bat birth control elicits a sarcastic remark from Jim.  The joke between them is on.  Dwight complains that Michael promised him his money would go towards bat birth control, but Michael explains he didn’t contribute that much money anyway.  Pam can’t help but see the humor in this lunacy, so she gives Jim a look paired with raised eyebrows.  Both are thinking the same thing and are laughing silently to themselves, much the same way they did in Season 2.  Old habits are becoming normal again.  

The meeting drones on as Pam explains a doctor won’t come by to pick up a check for such a small amount.  Jim immediately finds a way to bring humor into the situation by explaining, “You know what though, I actually seen ads for nurses that you can hire by the hour, for parties and bachelor events.”  While Michael and Dwight are oblivious, Pam is onto him from the start.  She knows what he’s up to and she loves him for it.  His ever so slight grin and playful eyes were immediately obvious to her.  She looks at him and matches his grin with one of her own, “good one.”  It’s hard for her to keep in the laughter, but she manages for the sake of the prank.  They are once again sharing an inside joke, where there are the only two who know the punch line.  

Break Room #3 - After Seeing “It”:

Pam is horrified after walking in on a half naked Michael.  She tells the story to Jim in the break room in a very animated fashion.  Rather than shutting down or becoming self conscious, Pam shows another facet of FNB.  She is grossed out, but she doesn’t blame herself for what happened.  She’s even able to find the humor in her situation by using phrases like “dangling participle” to describe Michael’s anatomy.  She’s even able to make fun of Michael when he arrives in the break room.  Following Jim’s lead, “You couldn’t have taken off all your clothes in the men’s room?,“ Pam turns the blame on Michael before he can blame her, “On average, how many hours a day to spend naked in your office?  Just ballpark.”  The statement is sarcastic, meant to put Michael in his place.  She knows she did nothing wrong and she’s not about to let Michael pin the fault on her.  

As predicted Michael tries to shift the blame, “European offices are naked all the time.”  Pam immediately fires back, “They're so not.”  She manages to get the best of Michael as he begins to defend himself, “Besides my shirt tail covered most of it so…”  Pam can’t help herself, she has to jab him one more time, “I didn't see where it started but I saw where it ended.”  It’s a bold FNB statement geared at making Michael just uncomfortable as she was when she walked into his office.  

Jim backs her up with, “Gross.“  She scored a major victory as Michael begins to get even more defensive by saying Pam should be comfortable seeing a naked body because she’s an artist.  Michael tells her to think of him as one of her models.  Jim immediately shoots Pam a horrified and humorous face that she can’t help but answer with eye contact.  They both share in the humor that is the lunacy of Michael.  She smiles slightly as the ridiculousness of Michael’s statements bounces between her and Jim.  It’s non-verbal communication at it’s finest.  

Holding Hands:

While the rest of the runners take off for the Fun Run, Pam and Jim lag behind.  Their lack of interest in running has nothing to do with laziness, but rather with a plan to be able to spend time together.  Staying in the back prevents anyone from seeing them together, allowing them to simply spend time alone.  Playful sarcasm envelopes Pam’s words, “Oh, we’re in last place.” She is smiling flirtatiously, all too happy to be last as long as Jim is by her side.  

Jim returns her sentiments with an equally flirtatious tone, “Oh, would you look at that.”  She continues to smile and keeps the sarcasm going, “Darn it.”  Both are thrilled to have a time alone with no on watching. To her surprise, Jim reaches for her hand.  She looks down at his fingers interlocking with hers and smiles.  She looks up at him, likely feeling the reassurance of his feelings for her.   The bubble continues to surround them as the happily hold onto one another.

Estate Sale:

Jim and Pam arrive hand in hand at an estate sale.  Jim playfully suggests they stop to take a look.  Pam finds him absolutely adorable that he would stop at a garage sale.  She responds playfully, “I don’t know I’m really committed to winning.”  Jim keeps the joke going by telling her, “OK, but what if I told you all the money you spend here, goes to preventing a disease that's already been cured.”  Pam plays along happily and agrees to go in for the purpose of the cause.  It’s almost as if playful sarcasm has replaced communicating on too deep a level for the time being.  They are still feeling each other out.  This scene is a perfect example of how the bubble continues to operate.  The sale is another escape where they are away from everyone and they can just be together.  The Fun Run is going on around them, but they are simply interested in exploring their relationship further by creating fun and new memories.  They are in their own world where playful sarcasm and garage sales are their reality.  

Pam emerges from the garage sale carrying an interesting lamp (ewwww).  She shows it to the camera crew and explains that it was only $8.  It’s interesting that she doesn’t ignore the camera as she leaves the house.  The camera crew is now part of the bubble and Pam is willing to include them in the relationship.  They already know, so it’s a safe zone.  In a very girlfriend-like way Pam passes the lamp to Jim, fully expecting him to carry it around.  Jim happily responds to the task, “Oh, and I get to carry it.”  

It may just be a lamp that Pam hands off to Jim, but the symbolism of the hand-off links back to the conference room when they were confronted about their relationship.  Pam was essentially carrying the relationship by defining their status.  She has the lead role right now, but she’s not willing to carry the whole relationship on her own. Eventually, Jim is going to have to step in and carry his half.  The handing over of the lamp symbolizes her need for him to make the next move.

Taking Care of Michael:

Pam and Jim approach Michael as he sits on the grass, ready to give up.  Pam pulls them out of their fantasy world, by disengaging their interlocked hands.  Both notice Michael’s deteriorating physical and mental state and immediately begin to take care of him, just as they always have.  Michael is annoying, but both Pam and Jim care about him as a person.  They try to motivate him through a little teasing, but soon find out that Michael is way past the point of laughing at himself.  Jim switches tactics by telling Michael, “Wow! You are a downer. We're having a pretty nice day.”  He’s hoping to convince Michael that things aren’t as bad as they seem.  Pam plays off of this, but she is also talking directly to Jim, “I’m still having a nice day.”  Her time with Jim during the race was fun and relaxing.  She loved spending time with him and making memories. Jim knows she’s talking to him and asks, “You are?”  Pam smiles at him and responds, “Yeah.” She’s reassuring him that she enjoyed her day with him.  

Jim’s question may have been playful, but she heard some of the insecure undertones.  She had the same feeling in the conference room.  As much as she’d like to keep her attention on Jim, Pam redirects her focus to Michael, “Hey Michael look at this lamp.  $8.”  She’s hoping to motivate Michael by showing him there are good things in this world.  It works as Michael can’t help but acknowledge that it was a good deal.  Pam kneels down next to Michael and continues to take care of him by saying, “And Michael, you don't have rabies. And chances are you're not going to get it anytime soon. So... you don't really have to think about it too much.”  She knows Michael wants to do good, but she also knows he’s clueless.  Michael tells her, “Pam, if everybody felt that way, nothing would get done.”  

Pam can appreciate Michael’s philosophy, but she lets him down as softly as she can, “Yeah, but there's other, better people out there who are helping.”  This is enough to motivate Michael to prove Pam wrong.  He struggles to get up off the ground to finish the race.  Pam may not have intended to motivate Michael with reverse psychology (it’s an awesome tool), but she fell right into her role of looking out for Michael, with Jim by her side.  It’s a role they’ve had since the very beginning.  It oddly connects them in a way other than humor.  They both care about other people and are willing to help.  While everyone else ran right past Michael, they stopped and tried to get Michael to finish the race.  They worked as a team, communicating with one another and with Michael on two different levels.  This is a promising sign as Jim and Pam continue to revert to the level of communication in Seasons 1 and 2.  They are going to need it when the bubble pops. 

The Bottom Line:

JAM is floating on air, but the bubble is going to pop when reality comes knocking.  Until then, sit back and smile.

- - -

JAM Playlist Song:

Sing Me Sweet

Matt Nathanson

Beneath These Fireworks

Questions to Ponder:

1.  What is your impression of FNB?  Is the transition complete?

2.  Does the bubble help or hinder JAM’s progression as a couple?

3.  Does Pam trust Jim?  How about the relationship? 

4.  What hurdles lie before Pam?  JAM?

Chapter End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans