- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It's Pam/Roy right now, but you know I'll get our boy in there soon. This is my very first ever fanfic, and my first non-marketing related writing in maybe 5 years! Enough with the excuses! Enjoy, post feedback, etc.
Pam is proud of her Valentines Day efforts. She agonized for weeks about how to handle this very sensitive holiday. They had only been dating for three months, and she didn't want to freak him out, but she couldn't let the day go by without marking the occasion. Not that she's a flowers-hearts-candy kind of girl. If she was, she had picked the wrong boyfriend. So what if he doesn't go in for romantic gestures? It's enough, she tells herself, that he's solid and dependable, and that he clearly likes her.

Of course, Valentine's Day is a day to let people know how you feel. And being an artsy nerd (Roy's unfortunate pet name for her), it's a day to let her imagination off the leash. After all of her deliberating, she can't wait to see his reaction. Besides, when she casually mentioned the approaching holiday, he had said "Oh, yeah, I've got a surprise for you."

The plan was for him to pick her up at 7:00. At his request, she had chosen the restaurant and made the reservations. It was a place that her parents saved for date nights, so it always seemed grown-up and mysterious to Pam. She had always promised herself she'd go only when she knew someone worth taking. Filled with anticipation and nervous glee, she was ready by 6:30. At 7:13, she was anxiously picking lint off her new black pants when the phone rang.

"Sorry, Pammy, Coach just let us off. Do you mind if I just shower here real quick and meet you at Chilis? We can do Sibio's another time, ok?"

Fine, ok. No big deal. Practice ran late - what could he do? At least he called, right? She changes into jeans, pastes on a smile, and gets a booth at Chilis.

By the time he arrives, the smile is real. She's giddy with anticipation, both to give him his gift, and for the surprise he promised. Finally, they've ordered, the menus are gone, and she can't wait any longer. Silently, and with a sparkle in her eyes, she hands him a box.

The box itself is pretty special, covered with paper she marbled herself and dotted with drawings of the two of them that seem to have grown organically from the green and blue swirls.

"Nice!" he says, kisses her, and sets it aside.

"No, wait, there's more inside." At his raised eyebrow, she stumbles on. "You know, it's like, um, well, it comes with bonus gifts, like..."

"Cool, I'll have to check that out later. I guess since you made me this nice box, I should really pay for dinner, right?"

"Um. Ok. Thanks!"

After dinner, he helps her into her coat, which makes her smile. Walking outside she thinks, here it comes! The surprise. It must be big if he's waited this long. She tells herself this because she knows, but hopes she's wrong, that there's nothing else. Still, she hopes.

She stalls as long as possible, giving him one more chance and one more chance. Her nose is cold, her fingers are numb. At last, he backs her up to her car and kisses her in that way that makes her head spin and her fingers warm. Dazzled, she gazes up at him.

"Happy Valentines Day, baby. Drive safe, ok? I'll see you tomorrow in school."

He drives away, and her stomach sinks. "It's my fault," she'll tell her mother later, "I shouldn't have expected so much."

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans