- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A response to hugsandkisses's remarks in Television Without Pity. Apologies to everyone associated. :-)

I feel the need to point out that I did a fairly close following of the original letter, especially at the start, so I don't want to cause any confusion and take credit for parts that were already outstandingly written in 1897 by Francis Pharcellus Church

No copywrite infringement intended, and I sure don't own Jim Halpert, though I know he's real.

Dear TWoP FanFic Forum,

I am slightly more than 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Jim Halpert. Par5 says, “If you see it in 'Some People Like These: Office Fanfiction,' it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, is there a Jim Halpert?

hugsandkisses

************

Hugsandkisses,

Your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, hugsandkisses, whether they be men’s or women's or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, hugsandkisses, there is a Jim Halpert. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Jim Halpert! It would be as dreary as if there were no hugsandkisses. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which romantic fantasy fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Jim Halpert! You might as well not believe in John Krasinski. You might get Par5 to hire men to watch in all office parks and warehouse facilities in the entire Greater Scranton-Wilkes Barre area to try and spot a single Dunder Mifflin delivery truck, but even if you did not see even one box of letterheaded stationary, one glossy, heavyweight paper business card for an Assisant Regional Sales Manager, what would that prove? Nobody sees Jim Halpert, but that is no sign that there is no Jim Halpert. The most real things in the world are those that neither women nor men can see. Did they ever see John Krasinski in a photo without his shirt on? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not out there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, hugsandkisses, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Jim Halpert?! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, hugsandkisses, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the hearts of adoring women.



time4moxie is the author of 77 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked A Letter to the New York Sun, Redux 2006 also liked 888 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans