- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is all I've got so far, maybe if I find the time I'll keep going. After all, they had a whole night...;)
“The end,” finished Dwight, closing his book. He stood slowly to leave, and Mose stopped his rhythmic rocking to follow. “Goodnight,” he said as the door creaked shut.
“Wow, I had no idea Dwight was so good at bedtime stories,” Jim said, and Pam smiled. She wouldn’t have ever guessed that Dwight Shrute would read her a bedtime story. But when Jim was around, all sorts of things she would never have imagined just seemed to keep popping up.
The soft orange glow of the lantern hanging from the ceiling cast shadows over the room, and the breeze outside made a cool hissing sound that left Pam feeling calm and comfortable. And tired.
“We should go to bed,” she yawned, sitting forward.
“Maybe,” Jim agreed. “I think all that manure shoveling just wiped me out.”
The two of them were still sitting together on the left of the twin beds. “Which one do you want?” Pam asked sleepily.
“Umm…” Jim swung his feet over the side of the bed and stood. He turned around and with the scraping sound of wood against wood, pushed the twin beds together.
“Woah,” Pam laughed, almost falling over. Jim climbed up next to her. He was taking a calculated risk here. Sure, it was their night away together, but they hadn’t been dating long, and this sort of thing was hard to judge. The closest they’d come to sleeping together was spending the night curled up on Jim’s couch, watching a Simpson’s marathon. But Pam seemed fine, scooting over to one side of the newly formed bed. Jim took the other, and reached for the lantern to put it out.
“Wait,” Pam said suddenly, a small grin on her face. She reached over and untucked the bed covers between them, forming one big quilt over them. Jim smiled, Pam’s face almost flushed with her usual embarrassment, but she reminded herself that she was new Pam now. She wasn’t embarrassed about anything anymore.
With a click, the lantern went off, and the room was plunged into that sort of darkness you could only experience on a farm in the middle of nowhere.
“Goodnight,” Pam said.
“Goodnight,” Jim replied. They both stayed on their sides of the bed. Pam was acutely aware of Jim’s soft breathing, Jim couldn’t help but notice the way Pam drummed her fingernails on the old mattress. Pam, an idea forming in her head, reminded herself that she was brave Pam now, new Pam. Then, quietly, wordlessly, she rolled over to face Jim and leaned close to kiss him. His reaction was surprised but pleased.
“Wow,” he murmured. “That is how you say goodnight.” He leaned in again for one more kiss.
It was sort of a train of events. Pam had meant for one goodnight kiss, Jim had meant for two. And then Pam put an arm over his chest and pulled him just a few inches closer, and Jim placed a hand on her waist. And soon it wasn’t a goodnight kiss.
Jim controlled himself. Waiting for her to pull back, waiting for her to realize how late it was and just go to sleep. But it was so easy to keep saying one more kiss and one more over and over again.
Pam felt butterflies in her stomach. No, not butterflies. More like bullets. More like that sick queasy feeling she used to get in elementary school, when the kid in front of her in gym class could climb the rope with ease, and she had to follow with a clumsy failed attempt. Jim seemed so, so perfect, and after years of building their relationship up in her mind, it almost seemed wrong to finally do this in real life. Maybe it wouldn’t live up to their expectations. Maybe Jim would realize how bad she was at this. After all, Pam reasoned, moving her hand to the back of his neck, Jim was probably a pro at all this. All those years she’d been engaged to Roy, and he’d been off dating around…
Jim couldn’t think much of anything. He’d kissed Pam before, obviously. And of course this wasn’t new for them, but Pam seemed different. A little more confident than usual. And Jim knew he would do as much or as little as she wanted. He couldn’t care less, but a small shock buzzed through him as her hand slid under his shirt and up her chest. But he held himself back. Slowslowslowslowslow. Don’t push her. But it seemed like tonight it was Pam doing the pushing.


DistinctOldManSmell is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Shrute Farms also liked 1048 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans