- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. I'm not cool enough to come up with awesome characters like this. No copyright infringement is intended.

Just a little fluff piece in the Five Things vein.

1) On Monday afternoon, Pam was sitting at her desk thinking about the weekend she and Jim had spent together, staying inside snuggled together until Sunday when she finally had to go home. Dunder Mifflin's front door opened and Pam looked up to see a florist coming through with a huge bouquet of flowers. Probably for Phyllis, she thought. Bob Vance seemed to have a knack for buying his wife flowers for any and all occasions.

"Is there a Pam Beesly here?" Pam started reaching for the delivery guy's pen before stopping suddenly. "Pam? Yea, that's me." She signed for them, feeling a bit confused. Jim bought her some daisies last week, he wouldn't do it again so soon, would he? Then she ripped open the paper wrapped around the flowers to protect them. White lillies and pink roses. Her favorites.

"My favorite girl's favorite flowers. Love, Jim."

Pam smiled and tried to hide the flushness in her cheeks. She looked over to say thank you to Jim, but he wasn't at his desk. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw him standing by the windows in the kitchen, gazing back at her. He had been watching her the whole time and had the same smile on his face that she had on hers.

2) Pam was the first to arrive at work on Tuesday morning as usual. After turning on the lights and unlocking the front door, she picked up the teapot from her desk and took it into the kitchen to fill it with hot water. She always loved using that teapot if only to remind her of what she once let go of and was lucky to get back. As Pam set the teapot on the counter, she reached for some bags and made a mental note that she really had to go shopping for some good tea instead of the cheap stuff Dunder Mifflin had. She opened the pot's lid to drop in the tea bags and saw something inside. At first, Pam thought it was just garbage Michael had thrown in there when he was standing by her desk yesterday because he once again mistook it for a trash can. She stuck her hand in and fished out a new box of green tea. It was the box Jim had bought right in front of her at the grocery store on Saturday when they went shopping for dinner. She opened the box, dropped two in, and filled the pot up. A wave of warmth came over her and she brushed it away, thinking it was just caused by the warm water.

3) Pam loved going to art classes on Wednesday night even if it did mean she could never make plans with Jim. Besides, he was so encouraging and excited about her art that he would never let her skip a class anyway. She wasn't liking her watercolor class this time around though -- there was just something about painting that she didn't like as much as drawing -- but Jim seemed to love whatever she showed him so it kept her going. She was thinking about the still life she was going to be working on that night when the phone rang."Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam."
"Dunder Mifflin, this is Jim."
"Hey, where are you calling from?"
"I just got out of my meeting with the library people."

Pam thought Jim always sounded that much brighter after a big sale, like he actually enjoyed working here on those days. It would be a nice afternoon in the office with him in such a good mood.

"By the way, I tried to call you on your cell. Did you not hear it ring?"
"Huh. It should be on. Let me check..."

Pam started rummaging through her bag and then "Oh crap!" She realized she left her phone and her watercolors at Jim's last night. Tonight was going to be nightmarish -- she'd have to swing by his place after work and hope to get to class in time.

An hour later, Jim came walking through the door with a white bag in his hand. He hung up his coat and put the bag on top of Pam's desk, pulling out a new watercolor set that was twice the size of the one she had forgotten. "This way, you can just leave the other set at my place to use and have this one for class," he told her with a sheepish grin. She loved the fact that Jim had no problem with her leaving more art supplies laying around his house.

4) Michael was being as ass on Thursday. At least twice an hour, Pam had to get up and go into to his office to take notes for a letter to corporate or interpret Jan's latest voice mail. She reached her breaking point when Michael asked her what he should get Todd Packer for his birthday. Walking back to her desk, Pam was distracting thinking about all the excuses she could come up to not have to look at another Web page of crap from Spencer's Gifts.

That's when she noticed the index card folded in half on her keyboard with the word "sPamster" written on the front in Jim's scratchy writing. She opened it thinking it would be a romantic little note from him. Instead, she found "Sudoku, level: hard, time: 17 minutes. Suck on that, Beesly." She looked over to see Jim trying not to laugh.

An hour later, Michael had a coffee emergency and Pam was stuck drying invoices in the women's bathroom with the hand dryer. This time, the note left on her desk was addressed to "Receptionist, Dunder Mifflin, Scranton." Jim's handwriting was all over the inside again. "Kevin's band only got three gigs last year because they need more cowbell. How do I tell him this nicely?" This time, she was the one trying not to laugh.

As it got closer to 4 o'clock, she got up from her desk and went to the kitchen to warm up her last cup of tea in the microwave, making sure she deliberately gave Jim enough time to write another note if he wanted to. He wanted to. This one was addressed to "The most beautiful girl at the receptionist's desk." Inside, the message written in red pen read "Dwight's blabbering to Michael about something boring. Perfect chance to sneak out. Please?" He had drawn little hearts around the word "please." Pam stuffed her notes into her purse, grabbed her coat, and went to wait in the parking lot for Jim to come out.

5) Pam was now spending most of her Friday mornings coordinating her plans with Jim for the weekends. Today, though, he wasn't his normal self and Pam was a little worried.

"Do you want to grab some movies from Blockbuster and stay in with some take out tonight?" "I guess."
"There's a Seurat exhibit in Philly this weekend. You up for a trip to the city?" "Um...maybe."
"Let's try that new Italian place we keep talking about going to." "Sure. Fine."

Something was up and she couldn't figure out what it was. Had she said something that may have pissed him off last night? What did he have on his mind that he was too worried to talk to her about it? If he didn't warm up by lunch, she figured she would ask him what's going on. But he got to her first. "Listen, it's nice outside today. What do you think about a picnic on the roof?" This was something she could go for and the worry started to go away.

Fifteen minutes later, she was climbing the ladder to the roof where Jim was waiting to help her up. He had already been there and set up a blanket from his car with two of his famous grilled cheese sandwiches on paper plates and some Cokes. He sat her down across from him and she noticed his hand was shaking. She was getting worried again. "Are you ok?" He looked startled momentarily, then said "Umm...yeah, fine. Why?" She gave him an odd look and said "You just seem distracted by something." She sat there looking at him for a second, picked up her sandwich from the plate to take a bite, and then shockingly dropped it in her lap. Jim had written some words on her plate beneath her grilled cheese:

"Will you marry me?"

By the time she had pulled herself out of the daze she was in, he was sitting next to her with her ring in his hand.



sharky is the author of 26 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked Five Weekday Presents for Pam also liked 2426 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans