- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim experiences a setback.

 

Pam and Larissa waited until 9:30, when Jim was supposed to be done with his physical therapy appointment, to come in and keep him company. They spent the interim in the Relaxation Room, where Larissa did her best to convince Pam that having her mom come by wasn’t the end of the world. “After all,” she said, “it’s not like Jim’s going to be entirely unprotected at her mercy. You and I will be there! What do you think your mom is going to do to him with us both there?”

 

“I don’t know. I just...I love my mom. We have a really special, close bond, and I don’t get to see her that often because they live two hours away. So the idea that she’s coming in just for this puts a lot of pressure on me. And well...” she blushed. “She’s heard a lot about Jim ever since, well, ever since ever. So I’m really worried she’s...”

 

“She’s what? She’s going to let Jim know how you feel about him? Because correct me if I’m wrong, Pam, but I think he has some kind of an idea because someone already told him. You might have seen her around: curly hair, massive artistic talent, answers to Pam Beesly?”

 

Pam giggled, but held her ground. “It’s different with my mom.”

 

“I suppose it is,” Larissa conceded. “But remember what I told you about Jim—he told everyone about you too. Like everyone, except you obviously. I mean, I think the guys at the YMCA knew about it. So don’t worry that your mom knows. He’d assume it.” She grinned. “And if I know Jim, he’s actually super-worried that you’re going to change your mind. Having your mom here will help a lot with that.”

 

“I’m not changing my mind.”

 

“I know that. You know that. Does my idiot brother?”

 

“Heh. Maybe not.”

 

“That’s what I thought. There’s a lot of trouble you can get out of really easily just by assuming my brother is dumb as a box of rocks.”

 

“Careful, that’s my boyfriend you’re talking about.”

 

“Yeah, and that’s the first decision of his that I’ve agreed with since he went with a milkshake over a root bear float at Friendly’s when he was 16.”

 

Now that Pam had calmed down, they walked back to Jim’s room together. As they approached they heard, to their surprise, raised voices, one of them Jim’s.

 

“I’m not even thirty! I don’t have arthritis!”

 

The next was one of the nurses—Emily, Pam thought—in what was obviously intended to be a calming tone.

 

“No, Jim, I know that. I’m getting the doctor. I just want you to sit down.”

 

“Nope, I’m not doing another thing until I’ve seen the doctor. I’ll sit down when I’m good and ready.”

 

“Jim...”

 

Another voice broke in. “Look, I’m sorry I suggested arthritis. I think I had your chart mixed up with the patient before you.”

 

“Well, you guys should figure that kind of shit out instead of telling me to keep running on the treadmill.”

 

Pam and Larissa turned the corner to see a man in athletic shorts and a T-shirt arguing with Jim while the nurse tried to get Jim to sit down on a chair.

 

“You know what, I will sit down. Because my damn leg hurts, and I don’t have arthritis.”

 

Larissa leaned over to Pam and whispered “I don’t think Jim has arthritis.” It was all Pam could do not to bust out laughing. Emily seemingly heard them and turned to them in relief.

 

“Larissa! Pam! Can you convince Jim here that we’re just trying to help him?”

 

Jim threw himself into the chair and Pam saw him give a little exhalation of pain as he stretched his legs out in front of him in a painfully familiar maneuver.

 

“Some help.”

 

The phyiscal therapist (for so Pam assumed the man in athletic shorts to be) broke in at this point to explain. “I had Jim here running on a treadmill to make sure he kept his leg muscles in shape, and he complained of pain. All of my other patients today have been elderly and I guess I wasn’t thinking straight, because I suggested it might be arthritis.”

 

Larissa lifted an eyebrow. “Well, that was silly of you.”

 

“I know, I know. I’ve repeatedly apologized and we immediately stopped doing the work.”

 

Emily broke in. “We think Jim might have a stress fracture or a minor break somewhere in his leg that’s causing the pain. We want to have his GP look at him, but until you came he wouldn’t even sit still long enough for that.”

 

Jim started to complain again. “I’m just saying I find it hard to believe...”

 

Pam walked up to Jim and grabbed him by the shirt. “Jim Halpert, if I ever hear about you refusing treatment again I will personally replace the jellybeans at Dunder Mifflin with licorice.”

 

He blinked. “What?”

 

“I’m sorry the PT hurt. But you need to let them figure out what’s wrong, not throw a hissy fit. And you know who loves licorice?”

 

“Dwight.”

 

“Dwight. So unless you want me to lure Dwight to my desk every day instead of you, stop whining and let Emily help you.”

 

He sighed. She glared. He looked away. Larissa giggled. He glared. She met his eyes. He looked away again.

 

“OK, Emily, I’m sorry. Where do you want me?”

 

“There is fine.” She knelt beside him. “Keep your legs extended and tell me where it hurts.”

 

The physical therapist beat a hasty retreat while Pam and Larissa looked on concerned. After a brief exchange the nurse got Jim a pair of crutches from a cabinet in the hall and told him the GP would be in to see him shortly. She mouthed “thank you” to Pam and got back to her work.

 

Chapter End Notes:
No insult intended to Geisinger with Jim's issue; this moment is based on something that did happen to a relative of mine, at another hospital. Thanks to all who have read and reviewed. I appreciate hearing from you.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans