- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A brief (half-length) update to remind you all to trust me not to jerk you around: this piece has fluff in the tags, not just angst.

After a quick and entertaining lunch, the three headed back up to Jim’s room, delivering the mocha on the way, and Jim greeted them looking noticeably more relaxed. His assumed nonchalance wore off quickly when Pam revealed his ham and cheese, chips, and cookie from behind her back, and he was practically salivating when she added a grape soda on top. Larissa made a comment about bells and dogs, Pam giggled, and Helene smiled at them all, happy to see her daughter so un-self-conscious.

 

The nurse chose that moment to come in, mocha in hand, and tell Jim that they were going to keep him in the ICU for one more day, but assuming he was still recovering they would move him to a less intensive unit to free up the bed in the ICU for incoming cases. Jim toasted the news with grape soda and they all settled into the room buzzing happily. Helene and Jim got into an in-depth discussion of British television shows from the ‘80s, which it turned out she and his parents had a mutual interest in—she preferring Yes, Minister and he Blackadder—while Pam and Larissa listened in and mocked them (mostly Jim) as felt necessary. Jim made sure to lob a few firecrackers back, while Helene just let it wash over her, enjoying the children’s camaraderie.

 

The room itself was actually quite nicely furnished, especially now that Jim’s decorations were all hung. Larissa assured them all that she had extra Command strips for Jim’s new room, and Jim made Pam promise to bring a frame sized for her sketch so that he could display it, as he put it, “properly.” Helene in turn expressed interest in seeing the sketch up close, and to Pam’s public embarrassment and secret delight she, Jim, and Larissa went over it in detail, admiring the work she had put into it. This led into a general discussion of Jim’s taste in art and, thanks to Jim’s teasing query as to where his Penthouse poster was, to Pam’s taste in which of his (actual) art pieces to bring over. Jim repositioned the poster with the equation for life (or rather, Larissa repositioned it on his orders), rotating it 90 degrees so it looked more like a strange abstract painting, and Pam and Helene applauded the daring move. The conversation turned more generally to culture, and Helene revealed that before Pam had become an artist, she had wanted more than anything to be a great dancer (Pam’s “Mom! I was three!” was drowned out by Jim’s “I knew it!” and Larissa’s “Really?”). Jim assured Pam seriously that she could dance with him anytime, which earned the deserved response that that was brave talk from a man on doctor’s orders not to stand up without crutches.

 

Eventually time wound on such that Helene had to say goodbye—it was a two hour drive back home, and she really did want to be back before Pam’s father. She promised to visit again, possibly with him, probably without, and gave both Jim and Larissa big hugs before leaving. Pam walked her out, and they shared a long, meaningful embrace before Helene got in the car and drove home.

Chapter End Notes:

All is well in JAMland. 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans