- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
chapter one, from Jim’s perspective. chapter title taken from I Miss You by Blink-182.

Jim Halpert had never wanted it to come down to this. If he had been a little bit braver, and if things had worked out in his favor, it might not have. However, he knew at some point he wouldn’t be able to take being in Scranton much longer, especially not after Pam’s impending wedding. Of course he had booked the trip to Australia, but that was just a Band-Aid for his problems. What about after Australia? Pam - sweet, beautiful Pam - would be married. Jim knew there was no way he could face seeing Pam every day after that. So, yeah. He was leaving, and as much as it pained him to do so he knew it was for the best.

”You’re leaving?” Pam asked, face falling. 

“Yeah...I'm leaving. I’m sorry, Pam. I know I should have told you sooner, but I hate seeing you upset and I didn’t want to put a damper on my last days here.”

Despite it all, Jim felt incredibly guilty about not telling Pam about the transfer before, well, the day he was due to leave. He only felt worse knowing that he had told Michael  about it before Pam, who was supposed to be his best friend. Michael had actually started sobbing when he told him. He had even offered to make a Jim-themed shrine for the office before Jim stopped that idea in its tracks. And Jim had wanted to see as much of Happy Pam as possible before he left Scranton - and with it, Pam - forever. 

You’re an asshole. Waiting to tell Pam until moving day? Honestly, Jim. No wonder she’ll never love you.

“I’m really sorry I, uh, didn’t get to make you anything or...do anything for you before you go.” Pam said, her sadness evident in her voice. Jim noticed she was twisting her engagement ring around her finger. Pam tended to do that a lot whenever she talked to him, Jim mused. It probably didn’t mean anything, though. Lots of people have little habits like that.

”No worries, Beesly. Hey, take care, alright? I’m gonna miss you.”

About halfway through saying this Jim teared up. At this point, he didn’t really care if that gave his feelings away. It wasn’t like he would ever see Pam again anyway. 

”I’m gonna miss you too, Halpert.”

Fuck. Goodbyes really are a bitch.

Jim saw tears welling up in Pam’s gorgeous green eyes. At that moment, he wanted nothing more than to cup her face in his hands and kiss her. It took everything in him not to.

”I hope I’ll, um, see you again sometime” Pam continued, and Jim thought - though perhaps this was only wishful thinking - she sounded hopeful.

You’re reading too far into this, Jim. She’s just sad because you’re her best friend. 

”Absolutely.”

Suddenly, he felt Pam envelop him in a hug. He wrapped his arms around her waist and prayed that this moment would never end. 

I could spend forever like this. Except without the tears and the dread of leaving the love of my life. 

“Whoah, there, Beesly” Jim laughed.

He felt Pam laughing into his chest and felt like he could fall in love with her all over again.

Don’t let go. I know we’re just friends and we’ll only ever be just friends but please god don’t let go.

All too soon, Pam tore away from him, leaving Jim with a swarm of butterflies.

“Hey.” Jim said, trying to smile through the inevitable oncoming tears.

”Hey yourself.”

”I, uh, should probably be going.”

Jim didn’t want to go, but he knew it would be best to make a clean cut rather than prolonging one of the worst goodbyes he’s ever had. 

“Don’t forget about me in Stamford!” Pam said.

God, if only she knew. 

”Wouldn’t dream of it.” He replied, only halfway joking.

And with that, Jim Halpert gave up on holding back his tears as he walked away from Dunder Mifflin Scranton - and with it, the girl he swore he’d always be in love with - for good.

Chapter End Notes:
woohoo! Chapter 3 will most likely either take a look at Jim’s new life in Stamford or Pam coping with Jim’s absence in Scranton.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans