- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
a look at how things in Scranton are going without Jim. chapter title taken from I’m Not In Love by 10CC. 

The second Pam walked through the doors of Dunder Mifflin the next morning, she felt like a piece of her heart was missing. Looking over at Jim’s empty desk didn’t exactly do wonders to alleviate this feeling, either. Pam was pondering why she felt this way when she and Jim had always just been friends and trying to tell herself that she didn’t have any feelings other than friend-related feelings towards him when Michael marched over to her desk and smacked it obnoxiously, scattering paper everywhere in the process. 

“Pam-a-lam-a-ding-dong!”

“Yes, Michael?” Pam sighed exasperatedly as she gathered the slew of paper off the floor. 

“We’re having a funeral for Jim in the conference room in an hour.”

“Jim’s not dead, Michael.” 

“Well he’s dead to me, that’s for damn sure. I mean, come on! How could he just leave like that?! We were a family!” Michael proclaimed, gesticulating wildly. “Anyway, I just think we should all...pay our respects. And I would like you, my dear, to write his eulogy.” 

“You aren’t serious, are you? A eulogy?”

“I am dead serious, Pam. And don’t call me Shirley.”


Pam stared at her keyboard as if beseeching it to provide her with inspiration for what to write in the eulogy for Jim. She’d made several attempts thus far, but they’d all come out wrong one way or another.

 

Jim Halpert was always such an amazing friend to me and sometimes I feel like he understood me better than my own fiancé 

 

Jim Halpert and I have shared many memories together, from throwing the Office Olympics to me kissing him at the Dundies which he probably thinks I don’t remember 

 

Jim Halpert has always been so supportive and encouraging of me and my dreams, and I wish Roy could be even half as supportive as Jim was


“Pam Sandwich! How’s that eulogy coming? Conference room in - drumroll please -“

Pam looked up from her computer to stare at Michael with the most deadpan expression she could muster. 

“Oh, alright. Conference room in five minutes.” 

“Actually, Michael, I, um, don’t really have anything prepared.”

“Wow. Pam Beesly, ladies and gentlemen. God, you’re such a...blonde.” Michael spat.

“Michael, I don’t even have blonde hair.”

“Whatever, okay? It’s an expression. Just - forget about writing anything. Say something from the heart.”

“Um, okay.”

“Alright, everybody! Let the funeral begin in five...four...three...two...one!”

 

”Employees of Dunder Mifflin, we are gathered here to honor and commemorate the life of Mr. Jim - James - Mr. Jimothy Halpert, who has recently passed away...to Stamford. Dwight, could you bring out the body, please?”

It was all Pam could do not to laugh out loud when Dwight marched ceremoniously into the room, carrying a refrigerator box painted to look like a casket. The finishing touch, however, was that in the box was a mannequin with a picture of Jim’s face taped onto the head. Almost on instinct, she leaned over to make some witty comment to Jim before remembering that Jim was the whole reason they were even having this funeral. 

You’re just friends. Just. Friends.  

“Pam, would you please say a few words?”

Shit.  

“Yeah, okay. Um, Jim Halpert was such an amazing person and my best friend. I’m so thankful for, uh, all the memories we have had together, like, um, at the Christmas party when he gave me this really great teapot and when we held the Office Olympics and we made medals for everyone, and the Dundies, and wow, I’m talking a lot. Anyway, Jim was always so supportive of me and believed in me even when I felt like no one else did. Jim, wherever you are, I hope you find happiness. You deserve it.”

 

Later, as Dwight regaled the staff with a rendition of “Candle in the Wind” on his recorder, Pam was beginning to realize that perhaps she’d felt more for Jim than she’d thought.

 


Chapter End Notes:

I’ve never been to a funeral, so I have no idea how they really work, but I’m pretty sure Michael wouldn’t either.

 



princess-nincompoop is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked In Reverse also liked 100 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans