- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Takes place after "Christmas Party." 

It had been a long, crazy day at the office-- longer and crazier even than usual, exceptionally so-- and Jim was exhausted. He was barely aware of his drive home, and he stumbled into his house as though he’d been drinking.


He hung his coat in the closet, threw his “new” shirt in the trash, and went into the kitchen to grab a beer. He paused for a moment, then washed his hands and made a sandwich. He knew, deep in his bones, that once he sat down, he wouldn’t want to get back up.


Jim went back into the living room. Glancing around, he realized that his roommate must have already been home. The Christmas tree lights were plugged in, and the mail was stacked on the table.


Grabbing the envelopes with his name on them, Jim lowered himself heavily into his battered recliner. As he sat down, he felt the other envelope, the one he’d retrieved from Pam’s teapot, in his pocket. He took it out with a sigh.


Cowardice. Sheer cowardice. He’d poured his heart into that card, into the gift, into getting the gift back for her...and then chickened out.


He flipped through the rest of the mail. A credit card bill, two pieces of junk mail, and three Christmas cards. He recognized his sister-in-law’s pretty handwriting on one. The second turned out to be from his aunt. He felt a twinge of guilt that he never sent her a card in return. He looked at the last card.


That handwriting, too, was familiar. He felt his heart twist.


He opened the envelope. It had a picture of a traditional manger scene on the front, and the pre-printed message inside said, “Wishing you the blessings of Christmas.” In neat blue ink, it was signed, “Pam and Roy.”


And that was why he’d taken his card back. He sighed deeply and turned on the television.


But as he drifted off to sleep, many hours later, he remembered her smile when she opened her teapot. And that’s why he didn’t throw his card away.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans