- Text Size +

Three flower bouquets. The second one, quite large. She was happy for Phyllis, honestly. Only… three were just two too many. At least according to somebody who has got nothing.


Well, no. She had got a promise of “the best sex of her life”. And she had cringed, at least on the inside, while remembering that the card on the third bouquet promised “more surprises for my Valentine”.


Pam sighed, and automatically, looked up to meet Jim’s eyes. He raised his eyebrows in a mute question and she shrugged, just as the fourth delivery man entered, this time carrying a box of chocolate.


She felt something wrong, carton-like, in the supposed to be polite smile she gave the man as she signed, and it was with heavy steps that she approached Phyllis’ desk. She was happy, and after a small clap and a “thanks, Pam”, she took the box and Pam walked back to the reception and slumped on her chair wishing the day was over already.


“So…” only his voice could make her smile in her present circumstances.


Pam looked up. Jim was carefully choosing a Jelly bean.


“So?”


“What’s up?”


“Oh the same, you know. It’s always been a dream of mine to be a delivery boy.” She regretted it as soon as she said it. It sounded petty. Or as if she was jealous. And maybe she was, but she didn’t need to say it out loud.


“I’m with you there, Beesly. Wanna trade places for the day?”


“You don’t have what it takes.”


“Yeah, maybe you’re right. I might get confused and end up eating all that chocolate. Or a rose.”


She chuckled.


“Really, though.” His smile became a little more sober. “What’s up?”


Pam sighed. It was just too much. How Roy had all but forgotten about the day. How even when he realised it, after she pointed out at a large pink billboard on the road, he announced it was just stupid. How she was tired of being an afterthought. How the most she could expect was some average sex with a man with a tendency to forget about her needs.


“I just wish I was somewhere else,” she said in what she thought was a casual voice.


“Do you really?” Jim raised his eyebrows, and Pam could swear there was a spark in his eyes that had not been there a moment ago. “Really, really?”


She thought it for a second. “Yeah.”


“Ok. Meet me at the break room in five minutes,” he whispered, taking another jelly bean and sitting back at his desk, frowning at his monitor as if he was in the middle of something very important.

Chapter End Notes:
I've never thought I'd write a Valentine-related fic, but as I was stuck in a traffic jam after reading "V-J Day" this came into my mind and well... 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans