- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Reviews

Jim shuffled in the office late that morning, still recovering from the heinous cold he caught from Andy. He had probably overdosed himself on Nyquil, in hopes to trek back to work at least a week later. His eyes were bleary, he was stuffy, and he hated Andy with a passion that riveled his Dwight hate.

As he entered the office and settled at his desk, he noted that everyone was buzzing around. Karen walked out of Josh's office and came up to him.

"You look like crap."

Jim gave her a small smile. "Please, enough with the compliments. It's bordering sexual harrassment. Really.  Um...hey what's going on?"

Karen bit her lip. "Oh yeah, while you were recovering from your incurable disease...we got word the Scranton branch was closing, and they are sending 5 people here."

Jim jerked his head up so fast he gave himself a headache. "What?"

"Yeah, we're merging with your old branch. So you might want to take a Sudafed or something and clear yourself up. Look presentable like we actually pay you around here." Karen smirked and walked back to her desk.

He felt himself shaking and it wasn't from him being sick. Oh god, they closed the Scranton branch. What does that mean? Instantly his mind went to Pam.  He knew from Kevin, Phyllis, Kelly, and Ryan that Pam was on her own now.  And though she always joked about hoping being rid of the job, it was her only support.

He didn't even realize he had yanked up his phone and dialed the Scranton number until he heard the phone ring. Someone picked up and he took in a deep breath, waiting to hear the "Dunder-Mifflin, this is Pam" but instead he heard an operator say the number was disconnected.

Jim whipped around to look at Karen. "When is the merger?"

She peeked from behind her computer screen. "Boy, you don't look so good. It's today, they should be here any minute now."

Jim couldn't swallow, or hell, even breathe. He didn't know what to think, Pam could have lost her job or she could be headed here to Stamford and he somewhat hated both scenerios.

He didn't notice Andy was back either and had walked to his desk.

"You look like hell Big Tuna."

Jim snapped out his thoughts and scowled at Andy. "Yeah, well, thanks for bringing your germs to work."

Andy frowned. "It's not like I gave you mono or anything."

He walked away and Jim ran a hand through his hair, and let out a deep breath. Pam. Pam. That's all he could think about.

He thought about her though the staff meeting with Josh, who turned to him and said, "You look like a pile of shit Halpert."

"That seems to be the consensus today." Jim replied.

Josh just patted him on the back. "Well, we got some of your old buddies coming up here today. In an hour."

"Who?" Jim queried. He needed to know. He just needed to know.

Josh looked at his pad. "Uh, Michael, unfortunately. Dwight...that weird looking guy I met at the conference. Ryan, the new sales rep there. Angela, from accounting...and..."

Jim swallowed hard.

"...Todd Packer." Josh stated.

Jim's heart sank. Oh god, Pam. "Oh."

"You look flushed man. Go splash some water on your face."

Jim nodded and staggered out the meeting. He thought about her as he stood in the men's room, splashing water on his face. That part that didn't think he wanted to see her here was devastated.

He missed her terribly and even though he had told himself he was over it, he was done with her, he wanted her here, no matter how fucking awkward it would be.

Jim slouched at his desk later, banging away at the keyboard, eliciting several annoyed faces from Andy. He didn't give a fuck. He wanted Pam. And now that Michael and Dwight were coming, Jim resigned that he must have pissed off some higher power because now he was in his own personal hell. No Pam, just Michael, Dwight, and Andy.

Josh stepped out his office and Jim followed his with his eyes as he walked over to the elevator. As the doors opened, Jim saw Michael step out, and he banged on his computer again.

Andy threw him a look. "Did your keyboard run over your dog or something?"

Jim just stared at the elevator.

Michael came out the elevator and Josh greeted him, then Ryan, then Dwight...looking insanely nervous, Angela, and gotdamn Todd Packer. But the elevator didn't shut, because a small pink bundled woman stepped out too. Pam.

And in that moment any progress Jim made to be whole again, to get over the stuff in Scranton got flushed down the toilet. The tuna sandwiches for change, the new clothes, the better haircut, the new city, was for nothing. He had already lost control.

Her cheeks were flushed, and she looked nervous as hell. She scanned the room and shook Josh's hand. He realized she couldn't see him behind the computer screen. He ducked lower so she couldn't see him and took in a view of her.

She looked beautiful. And his heart was relieved, full, and in pain. And she was in Stamford. In his office. At his job. And in his life again.

Oh shit....


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans