- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Happy holidays to everyone! You are the best :) 

As usual, Sir Michael spent his day in the way most people called idleness. His habitual companions were either Pamela or Mr. Schrute. The former served during the day, holding conversations, listening to his complaints, and running errands; the latter was the usual guest at dinners and afterward. The landlord and the clergyman spent evenings at the card table, and during the games, Mr. Schrute entertained Sir Michael, telling about the latest tidings at the parish, suggesting improvements both in the parsonage and in the mansion, or exposing the lacks of Sir Michael's servants. On rare occasions, when the game demanded a third player, they asked Pamela to join their circle. She quite enjoyed these times, noticing for herself the silliness of her companions’ worries, though she remained silent.

This routine had changed significantly with the arrival of Mr. Halpert. Sir Michael was delighted with his guest and declared that he could not get by without him. Mr. Halpert accompanied Sir Michael when he paid visits to Dunder-Mifflin or went hunting; he became a permanent member at the card games. Mr. Schrute was forgotten; he was rarely invited to the Dunder Hall, and his sermons were full of wrath against the sycophants, evil workers, and heathens.

Pamela had also been temporarily expelled from the inner circle of Sir Michael, though she suffered her expulsion with much less pain than Mr. Schute. She took her time, dedicating it to everyday deeds, her paintings, or observation. And the more Pamela observed, the more she realised she could not nurse a grievance against Mr. Halpert even if she had the intention to do that. Though her capabilities of observation were limited, Pamela made use of each of them; and after a few weeks of Mr. Halpert’s presence in the Dunder Hall, she perceived that she had never met a person like him before.

The constant demands of Sir Michael left Mr. Halpert very little time to his actual work. With that, Mr. Halpert spent in the library room less than a few hours a day. He said after his third week in the Dunder Hall he had thought he needed a month or two to complete his assignment, but with the new circumstances, he might have stayed more than he had expected. He shared that thought with Sir Michael and his housekeeper. Sir Michael refused to accept apologies and told him to take all the time he needed, proclaiming that he enjoyed Mr. Halpert’s company and had no hurry with the library. And Pamela added nothing to it but a small smile. 

‘I’ve looked at the list of your books,’ he continued after a verbose expatiation of the master and gentle encouragement of his servant. ‘I must admit your collection shows your deep knowledge and sophisticated taste.’

Sir Michael took that with great pleasure. When he turned to take one or two of the most favourite tomes, Mr. Halpert nodded slightly to Pamela, giving her a knowing smile. He returned his attention to Sir Michael’s speechifying and left Pamela with the impression that his praise was meant to her. 

‘I might recommend to include some more authors to your collection,’ said Mr. Halpert to Sir Michael, ‘if you would like it. Though I assume, your collection is quite complete. But you mentioned your library would be used by the dwellers of the parsonage, didn’t you? In that case, I should definitely suggest a few tomes to purchase.’ 

Pamela tilted her head down to hide a smile. The strife between Mr. Schrute and Mr. Halpert had appeared almost immediately, though it was not wholly the fault of the latter. He just had the misfortune of having Sir Michael’s fondness,  having not enough reverence before the clergy to ask for forgiveness for nonexistent sins, and having that kind of temper that did not allow him to miss an opportunity to laugh at the foolishness. All these qualities made him the worst example of humankind in Mr. Schrute’s eyes, and he did not tire to say that aloud to anyone who agreed to listen. Mr. Halpert’s responses were much more subtle, and Pamela sincerely enjoyed that game. 

‘Oh, yes, I think so,’ said Sir Michael. ‘Schrute complains about ignorance too often, and if he does not want to educate himself - I shall be the first to call him a hypocrite!   What kind of literature do you suggest?’ 

‘As the preacher must be a paragon to his parishioners, I might recommend a few theological pens. Like ‘The Monk’ by Mr. Lewis.’ 

‘Eh! It sounds like something Schrute would like,’ Sir Michael grunted. ‘Very well, make a list and give it to Pamela, she will purchase all of that.’ 

With that, he left the library room. 

‘I dare to say that book is anything but a theological tome,’ Pamela said, unable to hide her smile anymore.

‘I suppose so,’ Mr. Halpert shrugged. ‘Though I strongly do not recommend that kind of literature to the young ladies.’

‘You say so? But for the pious cleric, that kind of literature is quite appropriate, isn’t it?’

Mr. Halpert laughed. 

‘Mr. Schrute is proud of his ability to finish every deed he had once started. I just would like to allow him to prove such an outstanding virtue. And now you are laughing, Miss Beesly. You can say nothing against my purpose, can you?’

‘Probably, not. If Sir Michael gives Mr. Schrute a gift, he certainly will accept it, and his gratitude will be beyond measure. Even if he gives him a lump of coal.'

'I shall be delighted to witness that! Perhaps, we can persuade Sir Michael to make such a gift, can't we?'

'Perhaps,' answered Pamela with a smile. After all, there was no harm in this kind of teasing. 

After a more careful inspection of Sir Michael's gathering of books, Mr. Halpert had found several old tomes, which conditions left a lot to be desired. He could repair them, Mr. Halpert said to Sir Michael, he had all the necessary tools in Oxford. If Sir Michael allowed him, he went to bring them and returned in a week or two, because it would have been a shame if Sir Michael’s collection had lacks that might have been eliminated so easy. Sir Michael, pleased with such a delicacy and attention to his person and his demands, agreed. With it, Mr. Halpert departed, promising to return as soon as possible. 

The first week had gone without a single piece of news. The next brought a letter from Mr. Halpert. He had sent his excuses; an unexpected business had kept him in the city. He had repented about that and asked if Sir Michael could have given him his forgiveness. Otherwise, Mr. Halpert felt he wasn’t worth his position at Sir Michael’s society and may have found another scholar, who would be blessed to take care of the Dunder Hall library. Sir Michael, after grumbling and pitying himself, send an answer, in which he had given him pardon and asked to keep him in touch. So correspondence between Sir Michael and Mr. Halpert ensued. 

Pamela did not read the letters and did not write the answers. Her task was to pay for the delivery and bring the envelopes with sprawling handwriting ‘J.H.’ to Sir Michael. But she knew her master too well. Every time, after the correspondence was delivered, she found how to busy herself nearby Sir Michael’s cabinet; and he was more than glad to share his thoughts about Mr. Halpert’s letter with the nearest living soul. 

In that way, Pamela discovered that Mr. Halpert was from a respected family from Hampshire; that he had two older brothers and a sister; that he was a fellow student of Mr. Howard - Sir Michael’s third cousin and the heir of the Dunder Hall; that he had been blessed with the patronage of Lord Wallace, who, according to Sir Michael, was one of the most remarkable people in the whole kingdom. She listened to Sir Michael’s exciting voice with a polite smile, nodding to his story and adding some meaningless remarks. Pamela wondered if a person with such excellent relations would have ever planned to return to their godforsaken village. And, during the Midnight Mass, listening to Mr. Schrute oration and singing along to the carols, she was wondering what Mr. Halpert would have said about the theme of disloyalty and faithfulness, that was shown through the whole sermon.

He returned in the middle of January, with tools for mending the books and the news from the outer world. Sir Michael greeted him as his own son; the discovered acquaintance with Mr. Howard had made Mr. Halpert an especially welcome guest. For many years, Sir Michael had wished to have his heir nearby, but every invitation had been followed by polite and courteous rejection. Sir Michael explained it proudly that it was the great ambitions that kept his heir in the city, though Pamela suspected that he simply had no desire to spend any time so far away from the high society. As before, the main reason for Mr. Halpert staying in the Dunder Hall was forgotten; Sir Michael craved for the news, and his guest had to oblige. 

And yet, in some early hours, when Sir Michael was still resting, Mr. Halpert actually did his work. And in these hours, Pamela always found herself in the library room - replying to the correspondence, filling the account book, or doing her other everyday deeds. It was so easy to work together, in comfortable silence or with light conversation, and in these hours, she discovered a new side of his character. Pamela had known him as a witty collocutor and a well educated young man, but now she had found out that he was indeed a professional of his craft. She tried not to stare too much, though it was not easy, and each time, she involuntarily admitted his skillfulness and his humble pride of the work well done. 

It was the beginning of February when the last book had been repaired, and Mr. Halpert had finally started to make a catalogue. He put aside a pile of poetry books and chose a tome of Wordsworth. 

‘Have I told you about my experience with Lord Wallace's library?’ he asked Pamela curiously.

‘No, but I would like to hear that story,’ Pamela said. 

‘Well, I have made a catalogue for him too. He has a very tasteful collection and had demanded to have his catalogue as much suitable as possible. He had even hired an illustrator to make decorations. Some Italian, I do not quite remember his name. So,’ he added after a short pause, ‘what do you think, Miss Beesly, would Sir Michael like to have illustrations on his catalogue as well?’

‘I think Sir Michael would be delighted to have his collection similar to the collection of Lord Wallace,’ she answered carefully. That was true, though she did not think Sir Michael could afford to hire an illustrator.  

‘So do I,’ he agreed. ‘Well, in that case… I was wondering if you agreed to help me with the illustrations.’ 

‘What do you mean, Mr. Halpert?’ she asked. Did he want her to persuade Sir Michael to spend more money on an unnecessary garnishment? 

He smiled and showed her an empty page in the tome he was holding. 

‘That illustration in your book, you had made it, hadn’t you? It would be lovely if you made such a work for the whole catalogue.’ 

‘Oh,’ Pamela said. ‘Perhaps, it would, but I am not skillful enough to make it. I cannot compare with that Italian master, and Sir Michael, as you know, demands all the best.’ 

‘I think you are. And you can. Well, truth to be told, not now, but in a few years, that Italian might be defeated.’ 

Pamela blushed and said nothing. It was the first time since her godmother had passed that someone had praised her paintings; the only time when someone noticed her paintings at all. 

‘You are too kind, Mr. Halpert,’ she said at last. 

‘You are too modest, Miss Beesly,’ he answered. ‘And I take it as agreement. I shall talk to Sir Michael about illustrations. I suppose he will be thrilled to find an excellent illustrator right under his very nose.’ 

Sir Michael was thrilled indeed. Pamela showed him her pieces of work, and he found them delightful. He said he would pay her twenty pounds for her work - an enormous sum for Pamela. And, to everyone’s pleasure, the deal was made. Sir Michael would have the library worthy of Lord Wallace himself; Mr. Beesly was glad his daughter would make additional money which allowed to bring her wedding day a few months closer; Pamela relished the opportunity to work with Mr. Halpert without any ploys and excuses. As for Mr. Halpert, he also might have some gains from the arrangement, though they remained concealed. 

Chapter End Notes:
'The Monk' is quite scandalous, yet typical gothic novel: incest, murdering, soul-selling - the usual stuff. I'm wondering if Dwight would like that... The show-Dwight. The preacher-Dwight most definitely not. 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans