- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Merry Christmas. This one should be kind of fun. Short sweet chapters with our favorite couple. Inspired by the song of course and by the classic fic "My True Love Gave to Me." Go read it if you haven't.

Standard disclaimer applies.
Author's Chapter Notes:
So let's just dive in shall we?

The ride to the office is always better with Jim, Pam thought to herself as she pulled her car into the Dunder-Mifflin parking lot. Her Wednesday night drawing classes always got out late so she and Jim had decided it would be best to stay at their separate places on those nights. Which also meant a separate drive into the office on Thursday morning. Pam parked her car but didn’t get out until the last strains of John Denver and the Muppets singing The 12 Days of Christmas faded out on the all-Christmas music radio station she had on in the car. Grinning to herself at the image of Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, and Miss Piggy singing Christmas carols, she let herself into the building and made her way upstairs.

As was usual for her, she was the first to arrive. After hanging up her coat, her first task was to head to the kitchen and start a pot of tea for her, and coffee for Jim. A light smile drifted over her face as she pulled her teal teapot down out of the cabinet. By the time her tea and the coffee were brewed, many of her co-workers had arrived for the day as well. She looked back out towards her desk and was rewarded with the sight of Jim sitting in front of his computer. She poured a mug for him and walked back out of the kitchen.

“Hey you,” she said pleasantly as she approached his desk.

Jim’s eyes lit up and a grin formed on his lips as he looked up at her. “Hey yourself.”

Pam leaned against the edge of his desk facing the conference room. She set the coffee down next to his monitor. “I got you a mug.”

“Beesly, you are just the best,” he beamed back at her and took his first sip. “How was class last night?”

“Oh, same old, same old,” she shrugged. “We reviewed what’s going to be on the final as well as last-minute critiques for our final projects.”

Jim was about to reply with the phone rang at Pam’s desk. “Better go get that,” he pointed with his thumb towards the reception desk. “It is kind of why you’re here.”

“Yeah,” Pam sighed melodramatically as she stood up. “That and filling the jelly bean jar.”

“Yup, you know the important things.” Jim chuckled as she left.

Pam gave his arm light swat as she left and headed back to her desk. She set the teapot down as she reached for the phone. “Dunder-Mifflin, this is Pam. Just a moment I’ll transfer you”

Punching in Stanley’s extension she transferred the call and set the phone back down. Pulling her tea cup out of one of her drawers she wiped it out with a tissue and poured her first cup of tea for the day. Going through the motions of starting up her computer were muscle-memory by now so it came as a surprise with her hands came into contact with something other than her keyboard when she attempted enter her password.

“What the-”

Looking down, there was a white envelope covering most of the keys. Neat block writing was on the envelope with each letter alternating green and red in colored pencil.

On the First Day of Christmas my office gave to me

She quirked a half grin to herself as she turned the envelope over to open it. Inside was a postcard. The image on it was one that triggered a wonderful memory in her mind. She and Jim were standing in front of her desk. She was handing him a small red box since she’d been his Secret Santa that year. Behind them, reams of paper were stacked on her desk in a vaguely triangle shape with all manner of Christmas decorations making the papers look like a Christmas tree. Her grin widened as she remembered that year’s party. It had been the year before Jim had given her the teapot now sitting on her desk. There was one detail that didn’t jive with her memory. Rather than the star she knew had been at the top of the paper tree, a red and gold Dundie award shone from the heap of papers from where it had been Photoshopped into the picture. Still she couldn’t help but giggle as she flipped the card over. More red and green writing was on the back.

A Dundie in a paper tree.

The card was unsigned, but she felt there was only one person in the office who would have gone to the trouble. A person conveniently enough was sitting five feet from her and had his ear pressed to his phone while he was shaking a pen between his fingers. Pam felt the tip of her tongue poke between her teeth as she opened up her IM progam.

Pbees: Thank you for the card. It’s very sweet.

She hit enter and looked up to gauge his reaction. She saw his eyes light up as her message appeared on his screen. He set his pen down and leaned forward to start typing.

Jhalp: Card? What card?

Pam rolled her eyes and started to type back.

Pbees: The First Day of Christmas card you left on my keyboard you dork. Where’d you get that picture though?
Jhalp: Oh, THAT card. You're welcome. Phyllis gave me a copy of that picture actually. She said she’d been saving it for a while. Something about waiting for the right time to give it to me/us.
Pbees: Well tell her it’s very sweet. Though you do know the 12 Day of Christmas traditionally occur AFTER Christmas Day. It’s still December 13.
Jhalp: The song’s True Love gave all the gifts after Christmas. If I’m not mistaken these are the gifts your office gave to you.
Pbees: So?
Jhalp: So, it stands to reason, considering who is in charge of this office that it would make the days get out of whack too.

The thought that Michael’s, Michael-ness could influence such a thing had Pam covering a laugh that tried to escape from her mouth.

Pbees: Good point. Should I be expecting another card tomorrow?
Jhalp: Ask me no questions, I’ll tell you no lies my darling.
Pbees: :-P
Jhalp:  Love you too
Pbees: 😙

They both looked up at each other and shared a loving smile. Jim winking at her just added to the warm glow that had surrounded her heart when she’d read the card.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews welcome as always.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans