- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam walk home.

“So…” He didn’t really want this night to end, but it was getting very late and neither he nor Pam were entirely over the jetlag. He knew this about himself—he’d gotten a very late start this morning—but he’d realized it about her when she’d started to sag on his arm as soon as they sat down on a bench beside the memorial.

 

“So.” Her response seemed to lack the indefinite trailing off of his. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

 

“I guess so. If you twist my arm. Maybe.”

 

She leaned up against him and took his arm. He squeezed her tighter, and then realized what she was doing. “I didn’t mean it literally!” He rubbed his arm where she’d twisted it.

 

“I didn’t want to take any chances.” She grinned up at him. “But seriously, tomorrow?”

 

“Of course, Beesly.” He hugged her close. “Unless I can tempt you to…”

 

She shook her head. “I mean, yes, you could definitely tempt me, but I’m pretty sure I’d just fall asleep on you. Like I’m doing now.” She yawned. “And if I’m going back with you, I don’t want to just fall asleep.”

 

“Beesly, are you saying what I think you’re saying?” He wanted to be very sure; after all, he’d been burned on this before, and even though they were a couple now, you didn’t forget a night like Casino Night that easily.

 

“I don’t know, Halpert, what do you think I’m saying?” She stared up at him and he found himself blushing. He never blushed, except around her. How many times had she made him do it just this night?

 

“I…think you’re talking about coming back to my room with me.”

 

“Yes.” She smiled up at him. “And a lot more than that.”

 

“I…”

 

“Jim, I’m talking about sex.”

 

He blinked. He had definitely not just heard Pam Beesly say that.

 

“Oh my god!” She jumped up. “Jim Halpert, am I embarrassing you?”

 

**

 

“You do know what sex is, right? Like, your mom and dad had that talk with you, at some point?” She was having a lot of fun. Not as much fun as she expected she’d have if she weren’t falling asleep on her feet—stopping walking had been a bad idea on that front—but a lot of fun nonetheless.

 

He groaned, and she laughed again.

 

“I swear, Beesly…”

 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, but come on, it was right there…”

 

“That’s what she said.”

 

“Touché.”

 

“No, I’m afraid I’m not going to touché you, that’s the whole point.”

 

“You’re literally cuddling me right now.” She stuck her tongue out, and this time he laughed.

 

“I suppose I am. But you’re right, we’re both beat. Tomorrow?”

 

“Tomorrow.” She stood up. “Meet here?”

 

“Sounds good to me.” He hesitated. “Unless I can walk you home?”

 

“Thank you. That sounds lovely.” She realized he was waiting for her, and stood up. “This way. I think.”

 

They wandered down the street together, holding each other up and making small talk, and making slow but definite headway towards her hostel. They passed the turns and byways she’d taken on her way in yesterday and her way out today, and she shared the stories of what she’d done.

 

In exchange she got a brief version of what Jim himself had done in the same time, and an invitation to a rugby game two days from now.

 

“Come on, Jim, you know my record with sporting events and dates,” she teased.

 

“Ah, but that was your first date. This will be our fifth.” He said it with such confidence she felt the need to puncture him, just a little.

 

“Oh, are you saying we won’t go on a date tomorrow?” She batted her eyes. “I was so looking forward to it. But if you don’t want to…”

 

“Hey now, I never said…”

 

“I know, I know.” She patted his arm. “I’d love to go. Maybe a sport where neither of us knows the rules will be a better experience.”

 

“Ah, I’m sorry to disappoint you, Beesly, but I happen to have listened to a very long lecture on the rules of rugby from a very obliging Australian man with nothing better to do.” He grinned at her. “But I do promise not to leave you there.”

 

“How very obliging of you.” She sighed. “Well, I guess since you do already have the ticket, I suppose I might tag along even if you do know the rules.”

 

“How very kind.” They smiled at each other again. “And I suppose, if I’m very good, you’ll let me come to whatever event it is you want to go to at the opera house?”

 

“The Beethoven series. How did you know?”

 

“Come on, Beesly. We’ve met before.”

 

“Really? I didn’t notice.” She leaned up and kissed him—and what a wonder it was that she could just do that—and with the motion looked up and realized where they were. “Oh, this is me.”

 

He glanced over his shoulder and turned back, making what she thought of as a classic Jim face with his eyebrow cocked. “I’m sorry to have to correct you, Beesly, but this is me.”

Chapter End Notes:

So. No two people, one bed, but two people, one hostel has to be worth something, right?

 Thanks to all who've read and reviewed! 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans