- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam walk around.

“Bullshit.” He nudged her shoulder. “I saw you at the Opera House. You knew more than that.”

 

“Yeah, I suppose so.” She poked him in the chest. “But which way was I facing when you saw me?”

 

“You were…” oh. She was looking at him. A warm feeling spread in his chest. “I guess I stand corrected.”

 

“That’s right you do.” She smiled. “Now, speaking of the opera house…”

 

“You want to go get those tickets, don’t you?” It was only barely a question. “Beethoven, right?”

 

“Right.” She took possession of his arm and he let her once again lead him out into the street. He could very easily get used to having her just…touch him like this. Like it was just natural. He was so used to grabbing whatever he could in terms of affection from her—a touch here, a look there—and he’d been a little worried that he wouldn’t know how to deal with it if he actually had a relationship with her. He’d had multiple nights where he’d bored Mark with worrying about it: “what if it’s all in my head? What if it’s just the chase? Or what if it’s not but I just freeze up when the time comes to actually do anything with her?” Mark had gotten pretty bored with this, actually, and he’d had a one-line response ready: “dude, that’s really not what you should be worrying about.”

 

He’d been right back then, because he was really worried about Pam’s feelings for him and her feelings for Roy.

 

He was still right now, but in a completely different sense. It felt natural; normal; easy. It felt, in short, exactly like he’d always hoped it had, but been afraid to expect.

 

They picked their way down the street and up the next, passing by the Anzac Memorial again (he couldn’t resist pointing it out) and up towards the opera house. Then he stopped, pulling her to a halt by sheer unwillingness to move.

 

That’s the turn I missed.” He pointed down a side street. “The museum is that way.”

 

**

 

“What?” She tugged on his arm. “What are you talking about?”

 

“The day we met; I was trying to go to a museum and I got lost. Then I got double extra plus lost so I ended up above the street. But first I missed this turn.” He pointed. “See? The Museum of Sydney.”

 

“Do you want to go?” she offered. “I mean, if you were missing it…”

 

“Nah. We can always go back now that I know where it is.” He folded her arm back around his, and gave her hand a squeeze. “We have some tickets to buy.”

 

“Right.” They sauntered up towards the opera house, and she braced herself, but the sight still took her breath away.

 

“You OK?” Of course he’d noticed.

 

“Better than that.” She leaned against him and just took it all in. She didn’t even want to sketch; she just needed to see.

 

“Good.” He let her lean, and she reflected that this was what she really needed in a partner. Someone who understood that she didn’t always need to be doing something or talking or drinking or watching the game. Who could just let her be when she needed to be.

 

A few minutes later she pushed herself back up off his chest, letting her hand linger for a moment before taking his arm again.

 

“Tickets. Right.” He huffed and led her on, as if their little pause had never happened. Or, more accurately, like it was just normal. Natural. As it should be.

 

They bought the tickets, and high-fived over the fact that they now had plans for three days in a row: today’s rugby, tomorrow’s concert, and the next day’s rugby (other version).

 

“You know what this means, Pam,” he said as he turned to her after they’d finished confirming their schedule.

 

“I get to decide what we do the day after that?” she smiled up at him.

 

“Uh, actually, yes.” He rubbed the back of his head adorably. “I should probably get used to us thinking similarly, shouldn’t I?”

 

“Are you not?” She grinned. “Because I gotta say, it’s pretty much normal for me.”

 

“I mean, it’s not like I’m not used to us agreeing, but…”

 

“Is this because I said you misinterpreted things?” she said in a small voice. She realized there might still be unhealed wounds there that she’d have to salve to make this thing work.

 

“No, no.” He waved that away. “I’m pretty sure following me to Sydney makes up for pretty much anything you could have said.” He smiled at her reassuringly. “I’m just not used to being in a relationship with someone who actually understands me.”

 

“Me neither.” She hesitated for a moment then decided to go on. “And I don’t mean that Roy was a bad man, or anything, but…”

 

“But that’s important. Yeah.” He nodded. “It’s just so amazing, it takes a little getting used to.”

 

“Well take your time. I’m not going anywhere. And if we can get Ryan onboard, neither are you.”

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you're still enjoying them! Time difference is an issue so they can't actually deal with this right now, but I promise they haven't forgotten things! Thanks to everyone who's read and reviewed!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans