- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, here we go! Let's see where the skeins lead us next.

Jim was in shock, but Roy recovered quick enough to shout after Pam.

“Pammy you dropped your -,” was all that Roy got out before the door leading to the bullpen slammed shut.

“… ring,” Roy finished lamely, turning to look at Jim with his mouth hanging open.

“Did you just see that,” Roy asked Jim disbelievingly.

“Yikes,” Jim said with a grimace and a nod. That had been the scariest and most awesome thing Jim had ever seen. Jim had never seen Pam that angry before, with the steely gaze and cold tone.

Roy nodded along with Jim, seeming not to notice, “I think she’s just upset that I said the purse girl was hot.”

Jim couldn’t help but look at him incredulously and say, “It sure looked that way, what with the ring removal and the hasty exit,” with sarcasm. How Roy didn’t see what was right in front of him amazed Jim.

Roy glanced at the clock on the wall, and Jim followed his gaze. The clock read 12:30, their lunch break was over.

“Crap,” Roy said as he started hastily collecting his things, “I have to get back down to the warehouse. Halpert, can you do me a solid?”, Jim nodded, not sure where this was going, “Can you tell Pam that I think she’s the prettiest and we’ll talk after work?” Roy asked as he started to get up to leave.

“Thanks, Halpert,” Roy shot off as he rushed out the door to get back down to the warehouse.

Jim could only sit there and shake his head, glancing at the camera operator who looked like they had just won the lottery as they had caught that entire train wreck on tape. The documentary crew hustled Jim towards the conference room, and Jim took a glance towards reception only to see that Pam was not there. Once the crew got Jim into the conference room, they closed the door and quickly shifted the table so that they could get him “framed up” as they called it.

“So,” the documentary produced started, “in your own words, could you describe what just happened for the camera.”

Jim let out a sigh and addressed the camera, “Well, as you probably just saw, Roy said that they were dating, Pam disagreed, and then she just… left,” he said and waited for the inevitable follow up.

“Could you give us some insight into why Pam may have been so upset by this, for the camera?”

“Well if I had to guess I would say that she was upset because dating… doesn’t have a wedding in the near future. Although, to be fair, a three-year engagement doesn’t really have an end in sight either.”

“How do you feel about that?”

Jim struggled to find a diplomatic response that wouldn’t put his hand face up, “Well, Pam is my best friend, so at the end of the day I feel bad that she’s probably feeling pretty bad right now.”

“Do you think Pam and Roy will patch things up?”

“I don’t know.”

With that terrifying idea in looming over his head, the crew released him from the conference room as the purse girl was waiting outside the door impatiently. He gave Katy a sheepish look and a sorry on his way by. Jim looked at the reception counter and it was still empty, glancing behind him, he noted that the camera crew was still tearing down the interview setup. Jim took the opportunity and slipped out of the office to go find Pam without cameras following him.

Jim finds her in the stairwell, sitting on the landing with her head in her hands. As he moves into the stairwell half a floor above where she’s sitting and the door closes behind him, her head raises at the sound.

“Jim?” Pam asks, squinting at him.

“Beesly?” he replies, quirking an eyebrow at her. Jim notices her shoulders relax, and he starts descending to her level.

“My contacts fell out,” Pam offers by way of explanation as Jim lowers himself to the landing beside her, “and the pattern on these floors makes me go cross-eyed, so I’ve been trapped here since,” she finishes, with an attempt at a smile that ends up looking more like a grimace to Jim.

“Ah, so the truth comes out, you’re just using me for my extraordinary vision abilities,” Jim says as he lightly bumps shoulders with Pam.

“Yeah…” Pam says with a small smile, but then trails off and goes back to looking down and frowning.

After a few long moments of silence, Jim decides to see if he can kill the elephant in the room.

“So… Roy said to tell you that you’re the prettiest and he will talk to you after work.”

Pam whips her head back to Jim, “Seriously,” she asks, incredulous.

“His exact words,” Jim nods solemnly.

Pam puts her head back in her hands and after a muffled scream turns back to Jim.

“He can’t set a date, he can’t break up, my life is eternal purgatory, lord take me now,” she says exasperatedly and finishes with a sigh.

“Do you… want to talk about it?” Jim ventures.

“I don’t get Roy,” Pam says, speeding up, “I mean really, I break up with him and he sends my best friend to tell me that I am, quote the prettiest, unquote. Seriously, where does he get off? We’ve been engaged for three years and he can’t commit to a date, what does he think is the outcome here?” Pam rants. As Pam pauses to take a breath for her next tirade, they both hear the door open up the stairs, and Jim sees the glint of a camera lens.

“Uh, do you want a hand getting back to the office?” Jim quickly offers, standing up and offering Pam his hand.

Pam takes a calming breath, “I’m blind, not invalid,” she says, accepting the hand up and linking her arm around his elbow anyway.

“Excuse me for worrying that you’d get lost and end answering the phones at Vance Refrigeration, just looking out for you Beesly,” Jim said, trying to brush off how giddy he felt at having her trusting and relying on him.

Pam socked him in the shoulder with her free arm as they climbed the stairs.

“Ouch!” Jim exclaimed, “I could still leave you down here Beesly, is this how you treat your seeing eye dog on the weekends?”

“Well, no,” Pam said with a giggle to Jim’s relief, “he’s much cuter than you,” causing Jim to mock pout at Pam, “… although I guess you smell nicer, and you don’t leave a mess.”

“Are you sure we’re still talking about dogs here Beesly,” Jim joked as they approached the office.

“Jim,” Pam said with a warning look, unlinking their arms as they entered the office. Jim raised his hands in surrender, and this seemed to placate her.

Jim leaned against the reception counter and watched as Pam rifled around in her purse, eventually producing a glasses case. Pam put the glasses on, and Jim stole some jellybeans before tapping on her desktop.

“It seems my services are no longer required,” he said with a nod to her and a smirk.

Pam looked up with a small smile of her own, “Four out of ten seeing eye dog, barked too much enroute to destination,” she said, and then lowered her voice a little as her eyes softened, “ten out of ten best friend, thanks Jim.”

“Anytime, Beesly, I mean it,” Jim said, leaving to go sit down at his desk. As he sat down the smile that Pam sent him warmed his heart.

“You have overstayed your lunch break by twenty-five minutes Jim,” declared Dwight, “I will ensure that this is docked from your pay,” he finished with a glare.

Jim sighed; it wasn’t even one o’ clock yet. The day was hardly halfway done.

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you all for your encouragement and feedback in the reviews of last chapter, I really appreciate the time and thought you put into them.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans