- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: I own nothing 'The Office' related (except for the teal teapot I can't stop bragging about). Sorry. 
Author's Chapter Notes:
Set after 'The Merger.' 

The good thing about mirrors is that they always tell the truth. The bad thing is that they never lie. Even if you need some comfort so much. 

It's people who created all these sweet little lies. Be yourself, they said. Everyone deserves happiness and, even if everything seems so dark and desperate, in the end, justice will be restored, and goodness will triumph. 

The mirrors aren't tricked as easily as people, and they tell a different tale. It's a strength that wins over and over again; weak girls don't deserve their 'happily ever after' and never get them. A sad face and teary doe eyes don't bring a fairy godmother to your rescue — only pity from people around. 

You'd rather have nothing than pity. 

The mirror's words are cruel yet honest. You lost your battle, wishing and hoping, instead of acting, it says. You relied too much on others and believed in your exceptionality. Perhaps, all your exceptionality was in your unattainability; once it was gone, you lost your value. 

It's a hard lesson of humility, but you'll learn it after all. 

The mirror says its words again and again, and they slowly sink into you. You're weak and faint; you’re not the person that deserves to be happy. But if you make an attempt and turn yourself inside out, you might become one. It takes time to build inner strength and you’re not sure if you’re skillful enough to make it, but, at least you can keep your facade.

Wash your face to get rid of the blotchy tears stain and use powder to hide dark circles under your eyes. Use blusher to draw the picture of health and good rest on your cheeks. It wouldn't trick an attentive observer, but there is none anymore, so it has to work. 

Put on your contacts. They make your gaze steady and firm and hold any single tear that might try to escape. 

Apply your lipstick. It curls the corners of your lips up and doesn't allow them to tremble. It helps to keep your smile natural, and no one ever spots the difference between present ones and those that faded months ago. 

Hair is a useless decoration thought. Don't dye and don't cut it as that would be a sign of changes — and you don't want to stir the unnecessary questions. Just keep it clean, and that will be enough. 

You look into the mirror, and it lies to you because you see the face of a content woman — not joyful or elated, but the one that enjoys her life. 

You hope that one day this mask will grow into your face, and it will be much easier to pretend. 

Chapter End Notes:

You could find something useful and inspiring even in the toughest and tearful moments.  

Thank you for reading! 



Dernhelm is the author of 18 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans