- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm back from the dead, and with a new username! I had to figure out a couple of details before I could continue this, but I think I finally have it all settled, so updates will hopefully come faster. 

 

Also, in the last chapter, Roy talks about his ex wife, Laura. I had to change the name to Penny for certain reasons, but wanted to address that so it wasn't confusing later on. I hope you enjoy! 

 

Roy stood next to Pam, just inside the doors of Poor Richard’s. He tried to hide the disgust on his face, though he was sure some of it was still peeking through. Pam was on her tiptoes, looking around for somewhere to sit. He glances around the bar, watched as patrons chugged beers, yelled at TVs, and danced to mediocre music. He raises his voice in order to be heard over all the noise, “I didn’t realize it would be so crowded in here. Are you sure you don’t want to find somewhere else?”

“It’s always like this, but it’ll be fun, you’ll see.”

Roy nodded, though if it were up to him, he would have left the second they walked through the door. He trusted her, though, so he leans down so she can hear him better, his breath warm against her ear, “Let’s get something to drink first. Before we find a place to sit.”

She smiles up at him and nods, “Lead the way, the bar is straight ahead.”

He steps in front of her, trying to maneuver through the crowd in order to reach the bar. As the crowd thickens around them, he reaches back for her hand and she grabs on to it with no hesitation. She grins when he doesn’t drop her hand once they’ve reached the bar, lifting his other hand to signal the bartender.

 

***

 

“So, that’s him, huh?” Karen says, taking a sip of her beer.

Karen, twenty-nine with hazel eyes that lit up when she smiled, had always felt like a sister to Jim since the moment he met her. She cared about him, he knew she did, it was just who she was. Everyone knew Karen in some way, she helped out anywhere she could. If she wasn’t working part time as a manager for her father’s business, she was volunteering at the kids’ school or the local pet shelter. She was always home by three p.m., though, propping her front door open with a brick so all the kids could have a place to congregate after school. And they did – their house was constantly busy with kids coming in and out until the streetlights turned on, thanking Karen for her fresh baked cookies and homemade pizzas.

But if the kids loved her, Danny adored her. He constantly told Jim how lucky he was to have married her, how happy he was that she was by his side, as if Jim hadn’t heard this countless times before. And even if he hated to admit it out loud, Jim knew that they were perfect for each other. They rarely argued, too busy laughing with or at each other. Their sarcasm was on another level, and once they got started, they fed off of each other, and you would just have to hope that you weren’t the target that night.

Unfortunately for Jim, he had been the target all week, seeing as he made sure Pam wasn’t around them. Tonight had been especially brutal, every drink seemed to make their teasing worse.

Danny nodded, “That’s him.”

Karen kept staring. “He’s really something, isn’t he?”

“I think the word Jo used was sexy.” He offered.

Karen point a finger towards Danny, validating his point. “Yes, sexy. He’s definitely sexy, in a handsome stranger kind of way, of course.”

Jim hung his head low and sunk further into the booth, wondering how this could possibly get any worse.

“Exactly what I was thinking.” They watched as Roy leaned down and whispered something into Pam’s ear, making her smile. “They do make a lovely couple,” he added.

“Hmm.. they look like a couple you’d see on TV or in a magazine.”

People’s list of most glamourous couples, definitely.”

Jim groans, “Okay, you both can cut it out. I get it, he’s perfect, wonderful, amazing.”

They both look over at him, eyes lit with amusement. Karen reaches over and squeezes his arm. “Oh, Jim. We’re just saying he looks like those things. C’mon, we all know looks aren’t the most important thing.

Danny nudges Karen with his shoulder, “I guess you should know my little brother over here has been having a hard time with this whole Roy thing.”

“Aw, no, really?” Karen says, sounding as innocent as she can muster.

“Seriously, knock it off. You guys have been picking on me all night.”

Karen smiles, “That’s because you’re such an easy target when you act like this.”

“Danny and I have already been over this.”

Karen ignores his comment, “And anyway, we’re trying to get you out of this mood. It’s not attractive. If you keep this up, if you let Pam see you acting like this, you might as well say goodbye right now.”

Jim just blinks at her sudden honesty. He glances over at Pam and Roy before looking back to Karen. “So, what? Do I just act like I don’t care?”

“No, Jim. Act like you do care. Like you want what’s best for her.”

“How do I do that?”

“Be her friend.”

“I am her friend.”

“Not right now, you’re not. If you were, you’d be happy for her.”

“Why am I supposed to be happy that she’s with him?”

Karen rolls her eyes. “Because,” she states, as if the answer should be obvious, “it means she’s looking for the right guy. And I think we all know who that is. In the end, I highly doubt it’s going to be the guy over there.” She smiles reassuringly to him and pats his hand that’s resting on the table. “Do you really think we would be giving you such a hard time if we didn’t believe you two would eventually work out?”

As much as she teased him, Jim knew in that moment why Danny had fallen in love with Karen. Jim glances back over at the bar, can see Pam with a drink in her hand, looking out over the crowd for a place to sit. He knew Karen was right, but as Pam’s eyes catches his and she smiles and waves, he knew he was going to have a hell of a time trying to be happy for her as long as Roy was by her side.

 

***

 

Pam’s eyes light up when she sees Jim, Danny, and Karen sitting in a booth across the room. She waves at them and then turns to Roy, pulling on his hand in their direction. “Follow me, I think I see somewhere we can sit.”

She pulls him through the crowd, trying not to get bumped and spill their drinks all over themselves, though that is proving to be difficult as fellow patrons dance all around them. She steps back off of the dance floor, only having lost a few drops of her drink, and makes it over to the table with her friends.

“Hey, I thought you guys were doing game night.” Pam says as Karen stands and gives her a hug.

Karen steps back, leaning against the table and points her thumb back at Danny, “We did, but Mr. Sore Loser over here got mad that I beat him at Uno three times in a row, and wanted to get out of the house.”

“You only won because you and Jim cheated.”

Karen shrugs, then holds her hand out towards Roy. “Hey, I’m Karen, that’s my husband, Danny, and his brother, Jim. You must be Roy.”

Roy hesitates for a moment before shaking her hand with a simple, “Hello.”

Pam puts one hand on Roy’s arm and gestures towards the others with her free hand, “These are the friends I told you about, who I was going to have dinner with.” She smiles at Jim, sorry again that I ditched you guys.

She can see the smallest flicker of hurt in his eyes, but he smiles and it disappears, then he shrugs, Hey, it’s no big deal.

Their silent conversations was one of Pam’s favorite parts of being Jim’s best friend. Whether it’s a raise of an eyebrow, a small smile, or a knowing look, they somehow could communicate with no words actually being spoken aloud. It has come in handy more times than she can count.

Danny scoots over as Karen sits back down. “Why don’t you guys join us? There’s plenty of room.”

Roy shakes his head, “Oh, no, that’s okay. We don’t want to bother you.”

Karen takes a sip of her beer before gesturing towards the booth where Jim is sitting, “Don’t be ridiculous. We’re all friends here, c’mon. Join us.”

Pam looks up at Roy and smiles reassuringly to him when he seems indifferent to the situation. She scoots in next to Jim, Roy following in behind her.

“So, Roy,” Danny reaches over and steals Karen’s beer and takes a sip as she swats his arm, “tell us about yourself.”

 

***

 

Jim couldn’t have felt more uncomfortable if he tried, physically and emotionally. Roy was a pretty big dude. It’s obvious he works out regularly, but that also means that in order for him, Pam and Roy to fit in one booth, Jim might as well be merged in with the wall. So, not only was he squished between greasy drywall and the love of his life, but he was also having to listen to the love of his life’s date give such stilted answers that the whole table was growing awkward. Pam would try to lighten the mood, provide answers for him when she could or gently nudge his arm, chiding him to volunteer more information, but he stuck to his guns, only answering what was asked and saying nothing more.

And Jim tries to look interested, really. He’s taking Karen’s advice to heart and is nodding along to Roy’s (short, stagnant) answers, smiling when appropriate, even asking a couple of questions himself. Jim couldn’t believe that this was who he was up against. He knows Pam, better than anyone in this bar, and yet he can’t figure out what made her agree to go out with him. Sure, he’s a good-looking guy, and seems intelligent, and is well traveled, but he is acting to strange. Maybe Roy’s just socially awkward. Maybe he’s caught off guard. But Jim can’t help the nagging feeling in his chest that is telling him there’s something more than meets the eye.

Or maybe it’s just because Jim can tell that Roy truly likes Pam. Every time Pam talks, Roycan’t look away from her, acting like a husband waking up on the first morning of their honeymoon. It makes Jim sick. But he smiles and nods, anyways, because he’s her friend.

Eventually, Pam and Karen start catching up with each other and all the other gossip that floats around Scranton, as the boys listen on and sip their drinks. Roy swallows the rest of his beer, then asks Pam if she wants anything else from the bar, standing up when she says she’s fine.

Danny lifts up his empty bottle, “Would you mind grabbing a couple more of these while you’re up there?”

Roy nods and turns to go to the bar when Jim says, “I’ll join you, help you carry them back.”

Pam lets him out, giving him a thankful smile as he stands up and follows Roy to the bar. He thought volunteering to help would give him a chance to talk to Roy alone, get a true feeling of him, but Roy remains silent, barely glancing over at Jim as they reach the bar and signals for the bartender. Jim tries to think of a topic to bring up, something casual or maybe try to find something they have in common, but he’s pretty sure the only thing they have in common is the girl sitting across the room.

“Pam’s a great girl.”

Roy looks at him for a moment, Jim can feel himself being scrutinized as Roy quickly looks him over, then turns away again. “Yes, she is,” he states simply.

Jim looks over at Pam as Roy gives the bartender their order. She looks up and smiles before returning to her conversation with Karen. Jim shakes his head and grabs half the beers, following Roy back to the table. Pam gets out to let Jim scoot in, and Roy grabs her elbow before she can sit back down, asking her if she wants to dance. He waits until they’re lost in the crowd of people to slouch back down in his seat, taking a long swig of beer.

Karen laughs at Jim’s sudden change of mood, “C’mon, it wasn’t that bad, was it?”

“I don’t like him.”

Danny rolls his eyes, “What a surprise.”

“It’s not because he’s dating Pam.” Jim looks over to the crowd, he can’t see the two within the sea of people, but he looks anyway, if only to not have to look at Danny and Karen for a moment. “I just don’t think I trust him.”

“Why not? He seems nice. Quiet, but polite.” Jim rolls his eyes but stays quiet, so Danny speaks up again, leaning back in the seat. “Well, get comfy, little bro.”

Jim looks at him with a raised eyebrow, “Why?”

“Well, you missed your opportunity. So, it looks like we’re gonna be here for a while.”

Jim scoffs and takes a sip of his beer, “What opportunity?”

“You said tonight was going to be the night you ask Pam out.”

“Shut up, Danny.” Jim glares as Danny and Karen laugh.

 

***

 

Jim didn’t get it. The longer he sat and thought about what had happened tonight, the more confused he gets. He’s glad that Danny and Karen went off to catch up with another couple they know, so he can finally have a moment of peace to figure out what exactly it is about Roy Anderson that he doesn’t like. Besides the fact that he’s dating Pam, of course.

But there was more. Most people would actually try to talk to their date’s friends if they met them. Sure, it might be awkward or uncomfortable at first, but that feeling never stopped with Roy. Short answers, one or two words max if he could get away with that. No matter what Danny or Karen said, Roy did not strike Jim as a very nice guy. Nice to Pam, sure. But Jim knew that Roy didn’t like him, Danny, or Karen. Him especially. He figured Roy didn’t like them when he originally declined their offer to sit with them, the feeling grew as Karen and Danny asked him questions, and it solidified after their conversation at the bar, if you could even call it that. He saw the brief look on Roy’s face after he looked Jim over. It was only there for a second, but it told Jim all he needed to know. I know how you feel about her, his expression showed, but I won. So, back off.

 But no one else seemed to see what he saw. Pam obviously likes him, Karen and Danny seem to, Kelly is apparently obsessed with him, even Jo likes him well enough, according to Danny. Why didn’t they see what is so obvious to Jim? Or maybe Jim was overanalyzing it. Trying to pinpoint every flaw so he could hold onto the hope that Pam wouldn’t keep him around. Would see that Jim is better than Roy.

He turns and scans the crowd once more. People have slowly been trickling out within the past hour, so instead of the usual mass of bodies, it’s dwindled down to maybe a couple dozen lingering about. He easily spots Pam and Roy at a small table near the doors, she’s laughing at something as Roy smiles and takes a drink from his beer. Jim allows himself to watch them for a moment, he can hear Pam’s laugh even with the music blaring and the people talking all around him. Her head is turned ever so slightly so he can’t see her full face, but he knows that she is biting the tip of her tongue, as she always does when she’s trying to stop her giggles. He forces himself to look away just as she playfully shoves his arm.

Disgusting.

He can’t help but keep glancing up, though. He doesn’t look for long, doesn’t want to be caught staring, but he can’t help himself. He feels like he’s driving past a bad accident. He shouldn’t look, but he has to, it’s almost magnetic. But as the night wore on, he felt more and more like he was in that bad accident. Felt crushed, as he sat alone and watched Pam and Roy stare into each other’s eyes with goofy grins, giggling like a couple of teenagers at prom. He could feel his chance of asking her out disappear with every smile they shared. He thought he was going to be sick.

He promises to not look up again. He’ll drink his beer and wait for Danny and Karen to come back so they can go home and he can mope in peace. But then he hears Pam laugh again and he promises that this is the last time he’ll look up. He turned, seeing Pam looking through her purse. He imagines she’s trying to find gum or a mint, since she doesn’t like the lingering taste of beer. He looks over at Roy then, and freezes when he sees him staring right back. Roy’s stare is cool and casual, an outsider wouldn’t think anything of it, would probably think he’s daydreaming as his date busies herself. But Jim can see the confidence behind Roy’s stare, the warning he seems to be screaming across the room without ever moving his lips. I know you’re staring, Jim. Cut it out.

Jim wants to look away, act as if he had never looked up in the first place, but Roy is keeping his stare and Jim can’t back down. Maybe it’s the alcohol, maybe it’s the hope of regaining his lost opportunity, or maybe he’s just delusional, but Jim keeps eye contact, trying so hard to prove to Roy that Jim knows he’s not everything he seems to be.

It’s not until a voice from his left snaps him out of it does he break. He looks up and sees Kevin, the lead singer of the band, standing at the end of the table. He hadn’t even noticed that the band had stopped playing, too caught up with Roy and Pam, but he greets Kevin as he sits down across from him. He glances once more over to Roy and Pam, sees they are back to smiling and laughing, Pam now chewing on a fresh stick of gum.

Jim takes the last swig of his beer before focusing on Kevin. “What’s up, man?”

“I was wondering if you had a minute, I wanted to ask you about something.”

 

***

 

Kelly was a frequent patron of Poor Richard’s. Whether she arrived with a man or the intention to leave with one, she showed up most weekday nights and every weekend. Tonight was no different, having arrived with a guy named Cobra who was more tattooed than not, had beach blonde hair, and worked at a bowling alley. At least he has a job, she thought when he had asked her out. He also promised her a great time tonight, as long as she bought the drinks.

After three shots, a beer, and a couple sips of Kelly’s Seven and Seven with eight maraschino cherries, sugar on the rim, “blended if you can, pretty please,” Kelly has decided that Cobra is not as great as she thought he was. For starters, after his second shot he confessed his real name is Ryan. Which is fine, but it’s not Cobra. Cobra is a guy with leather jackets who rides motorcycles and occasionally breaks the law. Ryan is a guy who works in an office and still lives with his mom. Not her type.

He also got more crude as the night went on. She finally had to excuse herself after he hit on the waitress for the third time, only apologizing when he would look over and remember that he was there with Kelly. She makes her way to the bathroom, leaning against the wall as she waits in the long line that never seems to move. She glances over the room and spots Roy and Pam across the bar. Kelly had seen them earlier, would look for them whenever Ryan was ignoring her. She would watch him hold her hand and make her laugh while Ryan took another shot and slapped her butt. She watches Roy lean down and whisper something in Pam’s ear before heading in her direction. Kelly quickly runs a hand through her hair and straightens her skirt as Roy comes closer.

She takes a step out of line to catch him before he reaches the men’s room. “Hey, Roy!”

He looks over at her and it takes a moment, but she can see the recognition spread over his face. “Hey. Kelly, right?”

She smiles, thinking, I knew he’d remember me. “I haven’t seen you here before.”

“It’s my first time.”

“Don’t you love it?”

He shrugs, “No, not really.”

Kelly deflates for a second before perking back up, “Oh, well, me neither. But there’s not a lot to do around here, and Saturday nights are usually overcrowded anyway, so that ruins it a little.”

He nods, then gestures back to Pam. “Yeah. Um, it was great running into you, but I should go to the bathroom so I can get back.”

“With Pam?”

“She is my date.”

She frowns a little, “Yeah, I know.”

He starts heading back to the bathrooms as Kelly steps back into line, “It was nice seeing you again.”

“You too, Roy.”

She leans up against the wall again, staring at the men’s room door. She feels someone tug at her waist and she looks over to see Ryan pulling her close, only to mumble something about bodily functions and stumble off towards the bathroom himself.

As soon as the door closes behind him, she leaves the line, deciding it’s time to go. She doesn’t want Ryan ruining the feeling she had when her eyes met Roy’s.

 

***

 

Roy walks Pam up to her door, she unlocks the door before turning back to him. Frogs and crickets sing around them, a cool breeze blowing through the trees surrounding her house, the moon shining bright over their heads. Even Singer seemed to have his act together tonight. Although he was eyeing them through the window, he hadn’t made a sound. Pam almost felt as if she was in a movie scene for a moment.

“I had a really good night tonight.”

“I did too.”

“Even at Poor Richard’s?”

“As long as you had fun, I had fun.”

She smiles, “Not your kind of scene, huh?”

He shrugs, “I would have preferred somewhere a little more quiet, so we could be alone.”

“We were alone.”

“Not the whole time.”

Her eyebrows furrowed, confused, “You mean when we sat with my friends? You don’t think I did that because I wasn’t having fun, do you?”

He shrugs again and leans his shoulder against the wall next to the door. “Honestly, I wasn’t sure what to think. I know sometimes women will use their friends as a means to escape a bad date. I hoped that wasn’t the case, but I couldn’t be sure.”

“Oh, Roy, no. That wasn’t it at all. Like I said before, they were the friends I was supposed to hang out with tonight. I’m glad I went out with you, but when I saw them I just wanted to say hi. I didn’t expect to see them at all, let alone sit with them for a while.”

He looks above her at the porch light for a moment before looking down at his shoes. “Listen, I’m sorry about how I acted around your friends. I know I was a little short, I just never really know what to say.”

“You were fine. I’m sure they all liked you, Karen told me she did while you were up at the bar.”

He chuckles and looks up at her, “I’m not sure they all did.”

“What do you mean?”

“Jim doesn’t like me.”

“Why do you say that?”

“He was watching us all night. I kept catching him staring.”

Pam hadn’t noticed Jim looking, but she’s not surprised either. “Jim and I have been best friends for years,” she reassures him, “We just look out for each other, that’s all.”

He considers this for a moment before giving a brief smile and a simple, “Okay.”

She smiles and they’re silent for a moment, just looking at each other. Roy eventually pushes himself off the wall and takes a step towards her. She anticipates the kiss, and although she wanted him to kiss her – or at least she thinks she wants him to kiss her – she can’t help but feel a little relieved when he says goodnight and turns to leave.

There’s no rush, she thinks as he backs out of the driveway and she opens her front door, greeted by Singer’s wagging tail and sloppy kisses, If it’s right, I’ll know.

 

***

 

“There he is,” Danny said, mis mouth full with powdered donut, “right on time.”

It was Tuesday morning, Jim was working on the Martinezes’ car as Henry stood at the front of the shop, waiting for Roy to make his seemingly now daily trip towards the studio. Danny can see a small box in his hand, though he has no clue what could be inside it. But that’s not why he’s watching. Danny had told Roy where he and Jim worked when they met on Saturday, so when he saw Roy heading towards the studio yesterday, he waved, but Roy didn’t even glance in his direction. Danny’s not sure if he just didn’t see him or if he ignored him, but he kept his eyes forward and walked right past, just like he did today.

Jim comes out of the garage, wiping his hands on an old rag, watching just as Roy was reaching the studio. “Doesn’t that guy ever work?”

“Hey, you used up your yearly quota of pouting last week. Besides, you should be happy that he’s visiting her while she’s working. Would you rather him visit her when she’s home?” Danny glanced over and laughed at Jim’s expression, he clearly hadn’t thought of that before.

“Whatever.” Roy opens the door and Jim sees the box in his other hand. “Is he bringing her a present?”

“Seems so.”

“What’s the occasion? They’ve gone on two dates.”

“Maybe he just wants to impress her.”

Jim scoffs, “Well then maybe I’ll swing by with a gift of my own. I can grab lunch from the diner, ask if she wants to eat with me.”

“That’s what I like to hear, little bro. Less whining, more action. Us Halperts rise to the occasion.”

Jim smiles confidently, already planning in his head exactly what he will order for Pam. “Thanks, Danny.”

“Sure thing. But, before you go all hero on me, let me give you some advice.”

“Okay.”

“Forget the gift.”

Jim looks up at him, confused. “What?”

“You’ll look desperate. You can’t show up with presents right after he shows up with presents.”

“But I am desperate.”

“I know. But you can’t let her know that. She’ll think you’re pathetic.”

Jim huffs, and watches through the window as Pam greets Roy near the door.

 

***

 

“Roy…” Pam had opened the small box, revealing a small, heart shaped locket with a nice golden chain. “It’s beautiful.”

They were standing outside now, Roy had asked to speak to her privately after she greeted him. Neither noticed Jim and Danny watching from down the street or Jo and Singer peeking through the window blinds.  

“I love it, but why? What’s the occasion?”

“No occasion. I just saw it, and I liked it. Well, it’s more I saw it and knew you had to have it.”

Pam looked down at the locket. She really did like it, it was beautiful, but she could also easily tell it was expensive, and consequently, had added expectations.

Roy seemed to know what she was thinking, as he held up his hands and said, “Please, I want you to have it. If you have to, think of it as a birthday present.”

“My birthday isn’t until March, though.”

He shrugs, “So, I’m a little early. Or a little late, depending on how you look at it.”

She smiles a little at him and holds the box out towards him. “Roy, it’s really sweet, and I really do love it, but I shouldn’t.”

“It’s just a locket, not an engagement ring.”

She considers this for a moment, and although she is still a bit unsure, she nods then leans up and kisses him softly, murmuring “Thank you,” as she pulled back.

Roy motioned towards the locket, “Try it on.”

Pam handed Roy the box as she took the locket, unhooked the clasp, then slipped it around her neck, rehooking it. She adjusts it at the front before looking back up at Roy, “So, how does it look?”

He stares at the locket for a moment, an odd smile on his face, as if he were thinking of something else. “It looks perfect. Exactly how I remember it.”

Pam chuckles, “Remember?”

“From the jewelry story, I mean. But it looks much better on you than the mannequin.”

“Oh. Well, thank you again. You really shouldn’t have.”

“That’s where you’re wrong, this is exactly what I should have done.”

“You know you don’t have to spoil me, right? Guys usually don’t just buy me things for no reason.”

“I know, but that’s part of the reason I like to do it. Everyone needs to be spoiled once in a while. Besides, haven’t you ever seen something in a store that you just knew would be perfect for someone you care about?”

“Of course. I just hope you don’t think I expect these types of things.”

“I know you don’t, I promise.” He smiles and takes her hand, tracing small circles with his thumb. “So, are you up for doing something Friday evening?”

“I thought you were going to be out of town this week.”

“I was, but the meeting got cancelled. Well, my part of it did, anyway, so now I’m free.”

“What did you have in mind?”

“Something special, but I’d like to keep as much of it a surprise if I can.” He could tell she was hesitating, so he tries to reassure her, “You’ll love it, Pam, I know you will. Trust me on this one, okay? But you will have to get off a little early on Friday, around four.”

“Why?”

“It’s going to take a little while to get where we’re going, but it will be worth it. What do you think?”

She smiles and squeezes his hand gently. “I’ll have to ask Jo and switch my schedule around a little, but I think I can make it. Should I wear something dressy or casual?”

She hoped he wouldn’t say both, indicating that she should pack a bag. She wasn’t quite ready for a weekend away yet, so she was relieved when he said, “I’ll be wearing a suit and tie if that helps.”

“I guess I’ll do some shopping this week, then.”

“I’m sure you will look beautiful in whatever you decide to wear.”

With that he kissed her hand and then her lips, saying goodbye and leaving. Her hand was immediately drawn to the locket, She looked down and studied it closely. It really was a beautiful piece of jewelry. The heart was simple, but it had an ornate floral design engraved into it. She presses on the small button on the side, and it clicks open with ease. She was right to assume that there were places where she could place small photos, but she was surprised to see he’d already had it engraved with her initials, one on each side.

 

***

 

“This is not looking good, Jimbo,” Danny admitted after Roy had walked away and Pam was studying the locket. “I don’t care what Karen said on Saturday. If you don’t do something soon, you may never get your chance.”

Jim groans, “Thanks, Sherlock.”

“Let me give you some advice.”

“You already gave me some.”

“Well, I have more. Before you do anything, you’re going to need to come up with a plan.”

“What kind of plan?”

“That’s for you to figure out. But if I were you, I’d make it a good one, and I wouldn’t waste too much time coming up with it.”

 

***

 

“It’s lovely.” Jo is inspecting the necklace now, studying the design and opening it up. “This looks like it cost a small fortune. And it’s definitely not from around here. If anything, it looks homemade.”

“You think so?”

“Positive. Plus, now you have learned something important about Mr. Roy Anderson.”

“What’s that?”

Jo winks and lets go of the necklace, letting it fall back into place on Pam, “He’s got good taste.”

Pam laughs and holds the locket herself once more, opening it up to look inside. “Now I just have to find a couple of pictures to go inside.”

Jo grins, “Well, honey, you don’t have to beg. I’d be honored to give you a picture of me to carry around with you.”

Pam rolls her eyes but can’t keep her smile from matching Jo’s. “Thanks, you were the first one I thought of, you know.”

“I expected nothing less.” Jo winked, “So, are you going to put a picture of Singer in it?”

“I’d have to stand a mile away to get a photo of that bozo that will fit.”

Jo laughs, “What is up with him lately, anyway? He’s been real clingy to you.”

“You’re telling me. I trip over him every time I turn around, he’s driving me crazy.”

“How is he with Roy? At home, I mean.”

“Same as here. He stares, but at least he doesn’t growl anymore like he did at first.”

Singer whined then, and nuzzled against Pam’s leg, as if saying, We all know you love me no matter what I do.

 

***

 

Jim wasn’t a planning kind of guy. Things happened, he adapts, and for the most part, that has worked out well for him. He didn’t need to make plans when he was able to just go with the flow and be happy. The only part of his life that he wasn’t happy about was Pam. Well, Pam and not being a famous musician yet, but Pam was more important.

So, now he needs a plan. The problem is that realizing he needs a plan is much easier than actually coming up with one. But he didn’t even know where to begin.

This wasn’t some girl he met at Poor Richard’s and had to find out her name so he could ask her out. This was his best friend, who he just so happened to also be in love with. But being her friend didn’t seem to help any. He’s fixed her car, played fetch with Singer, came over whenever she asked, held her while she cried after Mark had died. But all of that resulted in was two dates with Roy. So, last week, he tried the other side of the spectrum. Avoided her at all costs, never called just to say hi, never stopped by the studio, he’s pretty sure he only saw her twice that whole week, but not a single word was exchanged between the two. But that didn’t help any, either. In fact, if his assumptions are correct after seeing them outside, ignoring her only led to a third date with Roy.

So, now what? He can’t exactly walk over there and ask her out. He’s almost positive she’s going to go out with Roy this weekend, so why would she say yes to him? And Danny said that he had to avoid looking desperate, so he can’t beg her to give him a chance, even if that’s exactly what he wants to do.

Jim put his head in his hands, groaning to himself. He runs a hand through his hair, then leans back in his chair and realizes that plan or no plan, he just had to get Pam back, even if only as a friend.

Her dating Roy sucked. But what sucked even more was not talking to Pam like he used to. They rarely ever went a day without talking at least once, usually more. If Pam decided that Roy was the one for her, then fine. He’d eventually come to terms with it. But he can’t go any longer without just talking to her.

He missed seeing her smile and laugh at his stupid jokes. Missed watching her eyes change from an emerald green to an almost turquoise as the sun set. Listening to her complain about Kelly or her car or really anything, because it meant she trusted him enough to just listen.

So, he would go over after work and talk to her. Act as if nothing had changed between them, like he truly didn’t care that she was going out with Roy because all he wanted was for her to be happy.

It wasn’t much of a plan, but it was all he could come up with.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Like I said, hopefully updates will be coming a little faster now. Thanks for reading and reviewing!!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans