- Text Size +

She didn't recognize the woman she was looking at. The woman who wore Pam's same light blue shirt and soft grey cardigan. The woman with the slightly mussed hair who stared back at Pam questioningly, confusion deep in her eyes. Pam lifted her finger slowly to her mouth. The woman did the same.

The woman in the mirror had thin red lips sunk back in her pallid skin. The bags under her eyes had bags.

Inwardly, Pam felt airy and light. The woman in the mirror, that bore all the outward signs of emotional weariness, that woman was somebody else. Pam was numb. All she felt was exhausted.

"Okay, Snow White, two eyes, two ears, it's all still there." huffed Angela impatiently bristling over to the sink next to Pam.

She gave Angela a questioning look, but chose not to respond.

"If you and Roy were married, Pam, you'd get a good night sleep." Angela spoke condescendingly. "But if you will live in sin…" her words echoed as she slunk out of the bathroom, almost walking on her toes, her blonde hair flipping behind her.

Pam sighed audibly and turned off the faucet. Holding the door open, she glanced back at the mirror. The woman looked back at her in reverse, holding the door open to an opposite world.

Pam glared at her with sheer loathing in her eyes and, turning her back on the woman, left the bathroom.

-TO-

The morning was a dismal affair. Jim was out on a sales call, and Michael was sequestered in his office avoiding the very real possibility of running into Toby accidentally. Office ethics, again. Pam knew she'd end up being the buffer between them. She always was.

The afternoon was a little easier. Jim came back with a twinkle in his eye and beamed at her mischievously.

"Hey Beesly." He tugged her sleeve playfully. "You might want to take your break now. I think you need some fresh air."

She stood up, gently carried away on his boyish excitement. He followed her outside and laughed as she stopped and stared.

"Ohhhh!" She laughed out genuinely. Dwight's car, no longer maroon, was gloriously shining in the sun in its new yellow and black dressing. Pam giggled in awe and moved closer, up against the hazard tape cordoning off the area around the pontiac trans am.

She looked over the vehicle and smirked. "You covered the whole car!" She turned to Jim in amazement. Wonders never cease. They laughed together and comfortably discussed what crime Dwight would think had been committed with his car when he left the office for the day.

"You know," she said thoughtfully, "You should get one of those warrant papers and attach it to the windshield. That would really do it."

Jim raised an eyebrow in approval. He was sure he could find something online and print something off. He was enjoying the smile he'd brought to Pam's drawn face, and being in her company at moments like this. When they were a team. Not a couple, no, but definitely a team. She was, after all, his best friend.

Unfortunately for Jim, his coup de maître, the icing on his prank-cake was halted when Dwight found Creed hurriedly stashing contents of his own car up in the ceiling in the kitchen area. When he enquired as to why Creed was shoving bags of mung beans into the ceiling, Creed had told him in suspiciously hushed tones that there was a shakedown in the car park. Dwight had snatched his volunteers sheriff badge and flown downstairs.

He was still scraping the yellow crime scene tape off his windows when Pam left the office. Roy had gone out with his brother, so she was solo. Noticing Dwight muttering and torn pieces of yellow dancing around him in the cool breeze, she paused. She did feel a little guilty.

"Um, see you tomorrow, Dwight?" She called over uncertainly.

"See you tomorrow, drone." He said derisively, without turning around. She shook her head slowly and walked to her own car.

"Pam?"

She turned back around. "Yeah?" She said absently.

"Hey, are you busy? I was just going to grab a drink. Wanna come?" Jim asked, a little nervous playfulness in his voice.

Pam hesitated. She wasn't sure when Roy would be home. He liked her to be home when he got in. She weighed in indecision, wanting to go but unable to commit. She really wanted a hot bath. Her lower back muscles ached dreadfully and she needed to soak for a while. She didn't feel that she would be good company for him. And there was RoyRoy wouldn't like it. And last night, she had fallen down the stairs-

"Maybe another time?" He saw her struggle to make a decision. Pam stood still, not answering him. She simply shook her head slowly, her lips pressed together tightly.

"Another time." She said quietly.

"Pam?"

Turning back again, she looked up and saw Jim's concerned face scrutinizing her. His brow was furrowed in concern, his eyes kind and caring.

"I just wanted to say, you know…." he trailed off. His hands were shoved deep into his pocket. He looked down at the ground dejectedley and kicked at the gravel.

"If you ever wanted to just, you know-"

She cut him off quickly. "I know Jim, I know." She mustered up a smile and waved at him, scurrying to her car.

-TO-

Pam lay back in the sunshine spilling through the lounge windows. Roy still wasn't home, and that was okay. Dinner was in the oven and the table was set. She lay, head up on the armrest, eyes closed, breathing in the cool, clean quiet around her. Little by little the aching muscles in her back were slowly easing off.

Roy would be home, and undoubtedly he would have flowers or chocolates or some tiny peace offering. Of course, she would accept them with a smile and an apology of her own. She always did. She shouldn't have flaunted her friendship with Jim in his face. She knew how that made Roy feel. He'd called her a tease more than once. Maybe he was right. She did encourage Jim, she did enjoy their friendly banter and the easy fun they had between them. Roy wasn't often a fun guy. He didn't have much of a sense of humour.

She thought more and more about the fall she'd taken on the stairs last night. It was an accident, not like last time. This time, she slipped. He grabbed her, and she slipped as she was standing backwards on the stairs after all. Roy would come home with a peace offering. Things would be good for a little while.

She wondered whether Jim had ever hit a woman. Or pushed her down stairs, or called her a tease.

Staring hazily up at the ceiling, the blind hot tears that found her so frequently these days stung her eyes. She thought about Roy. She thought of Jim.

She turned her head and sobbed uncontrollably into the sofa cushion.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans