- Text Size +

"Listen to that wind." Pam reflected quietly, staring aimlessly into the thick hazy sky. "Totally getting Twister vibes."

Jim chuckled softly, his mouth full of grilled cheese. "Yup. Read my mind."

"Everything looks so far away." she said. "It's like we're sitting on the moon or something."

"Mmmmm I think there might be more light up there on the moon." he said with amusement.

The roof was an island of darkness between the wave of lights reflecting off the nearby buildings on each side. The light from the two candles had brought a welcome break in the blackness, but several strong gusts of air finished off the tiny flames, refusing to allow the candles to stay lit – or even upright – and they had resorted to using their cellphones for light. Jim heard the subtle unease in her voice and knew she was thinking the same thing.

"I wish we could stay up here all night," she said, resting her head against the back of her chair. The sky was a thick black sheet, all the lights were out.

"Yeah. Know what you mean." Jim looked around cautiously. "But I hate to say we'll probably have to go soon before it gets all Hitchcock out here and we end up with the car upside down or in a ditch somewhere."

Pam sighed wearily. "Wish we didn't have to." She gripped the arm of the chair, as if she was rooting herself to her seat. It was an odd night, in many odd ways. Pam thought of what lay ahead for them, feeling the wind blow her hair away from her neck. Below them was a sea of lights and stagnant shapes. Who knew was what happening down there. How many women were down there on the ground in caught in the same soul destroying hell she had been caught in? How much pain, how much agony went on down there?

On the roof she felt above it all, a certain detachment from her situation and the rest of the world. She felt safe, she felt hidden. She was apart. She looked up into the endless dark and felt a sense of peace settle through her. Nothing was happening up there. Nothing was happening on the roof. There were no wars, no violence, no pain up there in the empty sky. She never wanted to look away, to lose that feeling.

"Dammit." Jim muttered, after his beer had been blown over and had rolled off down the roof to parts unknown, leaving a silvery trail in its wake.

"I'm scared." she said suddenly. Jim jerked his head towards her. He leaned over, feeling for her hand in the darkness like a blind man.

"It's going to be tough." he squeezed her hand. "But you know, it won't be like it was when it was just you and Roy. You're not facing him alone this time. He can't hurt you anymore."

"No." she said, not looking away from the sky. "It's not…there are things…. whatever comes out in court, I don't want you to feel differently about me."

"Differently?" Jim heard his voice raise over the wind.

"I was really stupid wasn't I?" she chose her words delicately. "Staying with him for so long. Like my life was a dirty secret or something. There will be things that are said in court…."

"It doesn't sound stupid at all." he said. "You're human. You said it yourself, he made it difficult for you to leave."

Pam caught her breath. "I guess." She brushed her windswept hair back impatiently. "I try not to think about it… but I don't know what's going to come out, what he might say. And I don't want you hear things and feel… cheated, I guess."

"Never. You don't need to worry about me." he replied with certainty. ""I'm not here to judge you. Besides, between Toby, Daryl and Dwight, you really don't have to worry about looking foolish." he said, attempting to raise a laugh.

"Oh god.." Pam mumbled. "You think Dwight is going to help my case? I don't know what the attorney's thinking getting him up there. He met Dwight."

"Hey, if anyone in that office pays attention to the stupid shit people do, it's Dwight. Aside from me, Dwight is the closest person to reception. He heard things. He saw you and Roy together." he said. "But yeah… it is Dwight. I get you."

She fell silent at that. The wind swooped around them aggressively. Jim could hear the distant rattle of his beer can rolling around.

"You know something Beesly?" he added. "I'm scared too, I'm real scared. But you know what? In a week or so, this will be done, it will be over. We're gonna zoom through the next week, and you're gonna kick its ass, you're gonna kick Roys ass."

The only response she could give was a strong squeeze of his hand. She leaned back, raising her eyes upwards again. Truthfully she hadn't wanted to come on this 'date' with Jim. But he had asked her and he had seemed so excited about it, she didn't want to say no or disappoint him. She had much preferred to stay indoors and brood, her insides were a jumble of ugly knots and she felt in danger of vomiting whenever she opened her mouth but there now, in the dark, she was glad she came. A smile stretched out her cheeks as she thought of the lengths Jim went to for her. Sneaking her up there, on top of the office building in the dark; it was a sweet gesture and she knew he was trying to take her mind off the next morning and the days that were to follow.

"Okay." Jim said, jumping up after feeling his chair sway underneath him. "Not really into extreme sports. You wanna go?"

"No." she said honestly, allowing Jim to help her up. "But staying doesn't seem like the safest thing."

She knew that if they left they would just go home, and then sleep would most likely come – or in her case, not – and morning would just come quicker and she already felt trapped by it all, without chance of escape.

They were moving silhouettes in the night as they walked across the roof to the access hatch. She followed Jim down the ladder and was immediately surprised by the chill inside.

"Guess they turn the heat off at night." She felt her body go stiff.

They made their way out of the building and to the parking lot. Pam slowed down as a familiar shape took form in front of her.

"Wait." she tugged Jim's sleeve from behind. He stopped and turned to her expectantly. "What's Dwight's car doing here?"

Jim laughed, putting an arm around her. "Oh, right. Didn't I tell you? Ah well… Dwight thinks there's a spy from Utica-"

"Who's using his desk, yes." she said.

"He thinks they set up base in the ceiling.

"So, he's on a stakeout? That's brilliant." she said, trying unsuccessfully to hold her hair with one and hand and stop her coat blowing out with the other.

"He's on a stakeout." Jim confirmed with a smirk.

"Oh my god…" she laughed breathily, climbing into the passenger side of the car. "Too perfect."

They drove off slowly out of the parking lot, the wind continuing to pick up speed. The journey was cautious, due to the weather and the unnerving moment when the car was rocked from side to side in a particularly hostile gust of wind. They both stared at each other knowingly.

"What the hell is with this weather?" Jim muttered, trying to flatten his hair back down again while managing the steering wheel. Pam laughed. It felt good.

-TO -

They narrowly missed the rain that came lashing down in great shimmering waves moments after they closed the front door behind them. They straightened up the kitchen and Pam headed off to call her Mom. By the time they were reluctantly settling down into Jim's comfortable bed, Pam – anticipating a sleepless night – watched as a fork of lightning flashed down, briefly illuminating the bedroom. Moments later the thunder followed.

"I think the storm's moving closer." she said thoughtfully. She lay back and then turned to her side, resting her chin on Jim's chest. In the half light of the room she huddled closer to him, moving with the rhythm of his upper body. Running her hand lightly over the soft skin of his stomach and chest she felt something pulling at her from inside, a strong pull inside her body. She shivered. Sensing Jim's head move to look at her with concern, Pam looked up at him through her eyelashes, drawing light circles on his chest with her fingers.

"Kiss me." she said softly. Jim immediately lowered his head and brought his lips to hers. She responded enthusiastically, relishing the moment and the sensation of falling, falling so deeply, craving so much of him. They pulled back, taking deep breaths of air.

Pam fluttered her eyes. "Now here. Kiss me here." she said, moving her head to the side, allowing him to lean into her neck. Gently he moved, planting small soft kisses up and down the smooth length of her neck. She closed her eyes, letting her body flow with him, her breathing deep and luxurious.

"Here." she cooed suggestively, cupping his head and this time moving it towards her chest. Lowering his head he carefully pressed his lips down on her breast eliciting a sensual shiver from her, before a whisper halted him.

"No shirt. Not with the shirt."

Jim lifted his head and locked eyes with her. Then she felt his warm fingers gradually lifting up her tee shirt. He tickled her ribs as the shirt went up and over her head and he resumed the kissing. She encouraged him, directing him lower and lower and their clothing began to heap up on the floor. She guided him all the way down and then up again, coming back to her lips.

Kissing him back just as needily, the longing in her body merged into a necessity. She was excited, she was alive and out of the world. She wanted, needed to be a part of him, to always be with him.

"Love me, Jim." she breathed. Almost begged.Her body was opening up inviting him in; wholly, trustingly. He loved her; she loved him back and she sizzled underneath him, her toes curled and flexed and her stomach clenched until she simultaneously knew she wouldn't be able to let go nor could she hold on. Her back arched and she felt the first moan escaping out of her; his hands were everywhere at once, all over her body. The thunder rose to a crescendo and the wind screamed through the trees and his touch was electric and so right and she never wanted it to end.

-to-

Jim's breathing was soft, light – and she loved the even rhythm, the soothing sound of it. He had fallen asleep first, as she knew he would, but that was okay. The storm had died down to a light patter of rain on the window and the occasional whistle of wind soaring past.

She was full of emotions. It was very late and court was due in five and a half hours. Yet her emotions were on a high, full of sensations she had never felt before. She was peaceful, spent, fulfilled, Not only did she feel a deep trust in Jim, he fully trusted her as well. She felt purified, clean in a way she did not completely understand. Jim loved her, he loved her in a way that no one else ever could. That would not change no matter what was to happen. His arms were wrapped around her, holding her tight to his chest even in sleep. She had never felt so safe, so protected. So loved. What could harm her now? Or him? It wasn't I, or her, or me, or my any longer. It was us and we now, him and her, you and me.

"Jim." she whispered. He did not respond, he was sound asleep. That was okay. She had something to tell him, but it could wait. It wasn't going to change, it wasn't going anywhere. For the first time she felt okay about what lay ahead. She almost felt invincible. She would go into court with her head high and she would not let Roy hurt her any further. She was different now. Soon without her even realizing her eyes were closing and she drifted away.

She slept pretty good.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans