- Text Size +

I do not own The Office: U.S. Version.

I've watched it enough though.

Free For Dinner

The BandAid


"I moved here for you! I uprooted my entire life just to be with you!"

Jim's attempted response was muffled, overriden by the ire of the petite woman scorned.

"Yeah, but you also encouraged me to come here too! Knowing she would still be here! Or do you not remember that?!"

One would think the door, the wall, the glass windows would have blocked some of the shouting.

"So yeah, I moved here to this crummy little town to be with you! I followed you and you already knew you still had feelings for her, didn't you?!"

One would be wrong.

"Of course this is about her! What else could it be about?! Her and everything she said on Beach Day! God, I was such an idiot to try and make things work with you for so long!"

Jim seemed to have given up talking or defending himself in any way.

Just stood still with his head down. Taking the verbal beating he had earned. Even glancing at Karen from time to time.

Making eye contact.

Because it was polite and respectful.

"And I just because we're broken up, doesn't mean I'm going anywhere! I've worked really hard for my career and I'm a good saleswoman and I have just as much right to be here as you do!"

Jim had said he would handle it because it was his mess and not hers.

Which was true.

So she had agreed to stay out of it.

Still, it was difficult to rubberneck from all the way across the room from her desk at reception.

Move out of the way, Kevin!

And the other people in the office weren't helping.

You walk so slow!


Karen had stormed out in tears.

Pam thought.

She had gone out the back way.

And Pam, receiving a text from the also disappeared Jim, had subtly taken her fifteen minute break in the stairwell.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Well, that was awful."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I guess."

He paused, handsome face pained.

"I really didn't mean to use her or hurt her."

Pam waited. Let him talk.

"I actually did like her. Well enough anyway. She's smart and sweet and funny."

He shook his head.

"I tried."

Then he raised his head.

"She just wasn't you, Pam."

She smiled a little, holding his hand supportively.

"I shouldn't have let it go on as long as I did," he continued, reprimanding himself. "But you know me."

Pam nodded.

"Yeah, I do."

He drew a deep breath of air into his lungs, chest expanding a little against his shirt.

Pam watched, trying to stay focused on his emotional needs and keep her hands off him.

It wasn't easy.

He blew the air out of his nostrils in a long sigh of conclusion.

"Listen, Pam. I'm glad I did it and I don't have any misgivings about it. But I'm not sure right now just how good a company I'd be tonight."

Oh, that. Right. Well, that makes sense.

If it was her . . .

"That's okay. I understand."

Jim nodded in acceptance.

Pam thought. And thought.

And then smiled.

"Do you just want to hang out and watch a movie?"

Jim remained isolated for a moment then looked over at her with a smile.

"That sounds nice."


As Pam was nonchalantly perusing the vending machine, Kelly calmly exploded out of the annex.

"Oh my god, Karen was so upset! She was crying and her makeup was running and everything, she just looked awful!"

Then she paused to take a much needed breath of air before exploding into excited speech again.

Leaning forward conspiratorially.

"Oh my god, Pam, did you break them up?! Are you with Jim now? Did he cheat on Karen with you?!"

Wow. When you put it like that it sounds so bad.

Pam shrugged innocently.

"Um, no, I don't know why he decided to break up with her. Maybe he just-"

She didn't know exactly what she was going to say next but thankfully she was saved from finishing her sentence by . . .

"Ryan! Oh my god-"

Whew.


"Well, I'm out of here, Beesley. Goodnight."

The same moment they had shared countless times over the years.

Her still sitting at reception, Jim reaching for his coat on the coat tree.

Smiling casually, hefting his messenger bag over his shoulder, turning to go.

"Okay," she replied airily. "Bye."

And then he was gone.

Pam averted her eyes, absolutely not letting them linger on his departing backside.

Just in case someone was watc-

"Crazy day, huh?"

Phyllis' slightly magnified eyes were practically ashine with mild curiosity.

Pam gathered herself and shrugged.

"I guess."

The rotund, matronly woman on the other side of the partition smiled secretively.

"Got any plans tonight?"

Pam kept her gaze trained on her computer.

"Actually, I'm kinda tired. I think I'll just go home and relax."

Phyllis did not move.

Pam took a different tactic.

"Are you going out with Bob Vance?"

Success.

The toothy smile said it all.

"Oh yes. Cuchinno's."

Pam flitted an easy smile.

"Oh, that sounds nice! I hope you enjoy."

Phyllis finally got moving.

"Well . . . good night, Pam."

"Night."


" . . . six fingers on your right hand?"

"You always begin conversations this way?"

The couch was comfortable.

The movie was comfortable.

Jim was comfortable.

To lean against. Relax against.

She tilted her head to glance at him.

"Better?"

His arms briefly squeezed her in a reassuring embrace.

"Yeah. Getting there."

She squeezed him back.

"Good."

And then they went back to the movie.

"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."

"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die."


Chapter End Notes:

Poor Jim. But he really kinda deserved it.

And poor Karen. But at least we know she was eventually happy with the right person for her. And successful too!

But now that's over, yay, more fun!

Thanks to pbandj (love that reference), darjeelingandcoke, Maxine Abbott, and warrior4 for so kindly reviewing!  :D


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans