15 [Reviews - 14] Printer ePub eBook
Summary:

Following a crushing showing at the art exhibition, Pam is offered a new path forward by her instructor. Finding confidence and a renewed sense of self worth, she is afforded the opportunity to break free from an oppressive and toxic environment. What happens when Jim stumbles intor this alternative life and witnesses her growth firsthand? (Late Season 3 - AU) 

 


Rated: T
Categories: Episode Related, Jim and Pam, Alternate Universe Characters: Ensemble, Jim, Jim/Karen, Karen, Michael, Pam, Pam/Roy
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: Adult language, Other Adult Theme
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No
Word count: 17895 Read: 5531 ePub Downloads: 1
Published: December 05, 2020 Updated: December 28, 2020
[Report This]
Story Notes:

Hi there. I’m new to this archive and Office fan fiction in general, although not entirely green to other fan fic writing realms. Still, I haven’t really written anything creative in nearly a decade. But I suppose these bizarre, pandemic times have left me seeking old solaces, like The Office and fandom inspired works.

 

Plot:

Following a crushing showing at the art exhibition, Pam is offered a new path forward by her instructor. Finding confidence and a renewed sense of self worth, she is afforded the opportunity to break free from an oppressive and toxic environment. What happens when Jim stumbles into this alternative life and witnesses her growth firsthand? 


Begins with the art exhibit from “Business School” then will progress to a more AU plot line. Rating may change as details of this become more clear. 

 

Note: The story title refers to an effect or made by adding moisture (paint or water) to a partially dried wash. I found the metaphor apropos for Jim and Pam's relationship: one always giving too much after the other has recoiled (or dried out) and beautiful catastrophes ensue. Blooms are also referred to as cauliflowers, but that would make for a rather silly title. 

 

Italics = Internal thoughts/musings and occasional emphasis when clear.

 

I hope you enjoy, and please let me know what you think!

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1: Lifted Paint by PenciledCadenzas [Reviews - 4] 4 (4283 words)

2. Chapter 2: Aerial Perspective by PenciledCadenzas [Reviews - 3] 4 (3184 words)

Thank you all so much for your incredibly thoughtful reviews; they’re so encouraging and a real bright point to my day! 

 

My italicized texts disappeared but I either fixed it or some coding angel fixed it for me! Oh, I fixed Pam’s car to a Yaris in the first chapter (oops). Ok, here we go! 

3. Chapter 3: Gouache Sunlight and Pained Overtures by PenciledCadenzas [Reviews - 3] 3 (5701 words)

Our dear Pam may have to (inwardly) take a few steps back, experience a brief recoil of reflection and anxiety following her actions in the last chapter. But she'll bounce back. Sometimes, you have to fake it ‘til you make it. 

4. Chapter 4: Lullabies and Masking Fluid by PenciledCadenzas [Reviews - 4] 4 (4727 words)

The song that is referenced is by Sara Bareilles, entitled “Once Upon Another Time”. If you are not familiar with it, I’m including a link below. I definitely recommend a listen, it’s lovely. While the song was not written at the time of season three, I’m using it anyway. https://youtu.be/mIXlPxblIpQ