- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This idea started with the opening line and sort of developed from there. Enjoy this self-indulgent fluff 
Author's Chapter Notes:
they're not my characters blah blah blah disclaimer 

By March 2005, Jim had been pretty sure he knew more about Pam’s wedding than Roy did.


He really tried not to listen, but it was hard after years of intentionally focusing so much attention onto her. It was subconscious now to focus on her voice when she answered the phone. But Dunder Mifflin wasn’t a very busy place, and with an actual date that seemed to have a good chance of happening, a lot of her calls were about wedding preparations. 


It was why he complained to Toby. Her planning the wedding wouldn’t be so bad if he were sitting where Stanley was and he suddenly became hard of hearing. He’d still know it was going on, sure, but he wouldn’t know what color flowers she was picking out or the guest list, or how she sounded when he’d been taken off it after he told her about Australia. 


Hell, the whole office probably knew more than Roy. Everyone could tell the minute they stepped into Phyllis’ wedding that it was an exact copy. But Roy just seemed to be admiring the decoration with none of the frustration Pam seemed to have. 


When Jim wasn’t annoyed hearing about the preparations, he did feel bad for Pam. It was pretty clear Roy wasn’t helping at all. He could tell when she was on a call with Roy from how her voice would get tight and she’d say “I get it” or “I understand” every other sentence. 


He never liked Roy, or even really the person Pam always seemed to be with him. It was like she was switched off around him and lost any will in her to fight. So when he left, yeah, it was because she turned him down, but also because he couldn’t watch her slowly lose any passion she had left. 


As Jim drove home after proposing, he remembered all of this. Usually he tried to block out memories involving Roy. But this time he wanted to use them to remind himself to be better than him. 


He drove back to New York as soon as they were released from work. He was still smiling, shaking a bit from the rain because he couldn’t bother to change even as he grabbed extra clothes for if he stayed the night. The time remaining on his GPS between Scranton and Pratt was going to kill him slowly.


Once he finally, finally pulled into the parking lot, he grabbed his bag and sprinted up the stairs to her dorm. He could barely knock on her door without jumping up and down.


When Pam answered it, her grin matched his own. As she raised her arms to hug him, the glint from her ring caught in the corner of his eye, and he let out a small, breathy laugh. He still couldn’t believe it. A ring on that finger used to be the bane of existence, now it was everything he ever dreamed.


“Oh my god, I still can’t believe it,” Pam said as she pulled away, dragging him inside. “One of the girls on my floor screamed so loud someone thought the toilets exploded again.”

Jim smiled. “Dwight must have thought I was going insane I was smiling so hard.”


“I wish I could see his reaction when we tell him.” She looked back down at the ring, then started jumping up and down. “Oh my god, Jim, we’re getting married!”


He reached down and hugged her tightly, lifting her up as she laughed and pressed kisses onto his cheeks and neck. She sighed as they fell onto her small bed, pulling him in for a longer kiss on the lips.


As they broke apart, her eyes lost a bit of their shine. “Hey…”


“Hey,” he said, smirking, and she lightly shoved his chest.


“Shut up. I was just thinking about...stuff.” As he shifted upright, her eyes dropped a bit to her hands, fiddling with the new ring. He recognized the habit and put a hand over hers.


“What’s up? Because no, we’re not inviting Dwight. It’s a dealbreaker.” She smiled up at him, rolling her eyes.


“Oh, I’m totally fine with that. No one from the office is coming, we’re going to have to come up with some devious plan to keep them away.”

“Destination wedding,” Jim said quickly. “They’re all cheap and get bored on long drives or flights. Done.”


Pam laughed, intertwining her fingers with his. “Okay, but seriously? Are you okay with planning this, or do you want to start later? I know it’s stressful, and I already have a whole binder-load of stuff…”

“We should just throw that out and start from scratch,” Jim said. 


“Really?” Pam’s eyebrows scrunched together. “I have all the best caterers, and a bunch of design plans.”


“Well, we just established we’re not getting married anywhere near Scranton,” Jim said, playing with her ring. “And part of the fun is designing the whole thing together, right?”


Pam looked at him in the eyes for the first time in the conversation. He could see the tremble in her smile as she leaned forward and kissed him lightly on the lips.


“Thank you,” she said quietly. “Honestly, that’s what I wanted anyway. The last wedding was all of what I wanted. Like, everything was exactly as I dreamed it would be since I was a kid. But now that I’ve done all that, I think I want something different now.” She paused. “I want this to be our wedding. Stuff we both like.”

“Yeah?” Jim couldn’t stop smiling. His mouth was starting to hurt.


“Yeah.” Pam stood up, a determined look coming onto her face as she kept hold of one of Jim’s hands with her own. “I want to actually fight about the color scheme and what flowers we use. And not have fucking chicken tenders as an option for adults.” As Jim laughed, she did too, picking up steam. “And I want to make a playlist of songs together, not just stuff I remember you liking five years ago and putting on because you said you didn’t care. And I want to go wedding cake testing, shopping for different stationary, all of it!” 


Her face was lighting up the way it did when they were scheming with Dwight. And maybe this was their greatest scheme yet, Jim thought as he jumped up and pulled her into a hug.


“That’s all going to happen,” he said. “Whatever you want.”


“Whatever you want, too,” Pam added, and they both laughed and somehow Jim was even more elated than when she said yes a few hours earlier.




stupidwonderfulboringamazing is the author of 5 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Everything You Could Ever Want also liked 186 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans