- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter two skips ahead a bit right past the events around Christmas which I wrote about in Beets on the Tree http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5947

You need not know that story to appreciate this one nor does it ruin that story if you plan to read Beets on the Tree and prefer not to be spoiled to one plot point you might want to go ahead and read it first.

A story of mine would not be complete without a song element – this time it’s This Will Be Our Year by The Zombies.

https://youtu.be/xSzU9Geg6jA

There’s a real purpose for the song this time although I do love the song and sentiment for Jam.

 

Six idyllic months had passed. Mostly idyllic, there were a few hiccups, as to be expected with any new relationship.

They’d come out at the office,
with only a few snide comments and sexual innuendos from their co-workers.

Their first big fight was already behind them,
and in the end it may have brought them closer.

They’d been sure not to whitewash over the pain of their history,
which meant difficult but honest conversations that couldn’t erase the past but when brought to light, helped the pain to fade, blending it in with the fabric of their love.

Over the past months they both been keyed. Jim had given Pam his after the first night she stayed at his place, along with 3 drawers in his dresser, on the inside of each he’d written silly little notes to her with a sharpie, like, you can keep your pajamas here even though I doubt you’ll have much need for them.

They settled into routines, but still managed to keep surprising each other with little detours and new experiences that kept things spicy and fresh.

Pam had on many separate occasions spent time with Jim’s parents, met his brother, Tom and his sister, Larissa and a few days earlier on Christmas eve, Jim had finally officially met her parents, even though he’d bonded with her mom on a secret phone call where he arranged to have her Mee-Maw’s angel sent so their first tree together would be topped with her favorite childhood memento of the season.

The office had an uneventful holiday party that year, a good thing at the Dunder Mifflin Scranton branch. No Yankee swapping, no dueling parties, no fights about whether or not Die Hard could be considered a Christmas movie and therefore be the theme for the party. After that party, a few years back, the PPC was established so that Christmas crackers would never again be old C4 explosives that may or may not have been inactive as Dwight insisted they were when he set up the office as the scene of the Nakatomi Corporation.

A light snow had fallen on December 24th bringing with it the magic of a white Christmas and they had not one, but two Christmas trees, the small one they bought and decorated together during the Thanksgiving break and the bigger one he surprised her with at his place.

So, when the call came from Jim’s brother a few days before New Year’s, it wasn’t a surprise that some glitch would come up to disrupt their halycon days. The holidays had been pretty much perfect up until now; something had to arise to put a wrench in their plans to ring in the New Year.

“What about Mom and Dad?”

Pam looked at Jim, concern and curiosity sketched on her face as she tried to imagine what Tom was saying on the other end of the call. Jim’s expression and demeanor weren’t giving much away, but it didn’t sound too bad from what she could tell.

“Oh yeah, they’re off already. Larissa can’t do it either? Since when does she ski? Ok, well if there’s no one else, I’ll talk to Pam. Yeah man, I’ll let you know after I talk to her.”

“So that was Tom...” Jim closed his phone and set it down on the table.

“It seems their sitter just broke her leg skiing and is in the hospital and Marcie’s sorority sister is getting married on New Year’s Eve in the city. My folks already left for their cruise and Larissa’s on some ski trip with her new boyfriend, which is comical because she’s refused to learn to ski for years for fear she’d break something.”

Pam could guess the rest; they needed a sitter for New Year’s Eve and Jim was next on their list.

“I know it’s not what we planned but he’s really in a bind. They already booked their hotel room and she’s a bridesmaid. He was hoping we could...”

Pam cut him off before he could finish.

“Of course, Jim, it’s fine.  They’re your family. Of course we’ll do it. I’ll call Christopher’s and cancel the reservation. You call Tom back and tell him it’s ok.”

The words came out monotone and flat, not that she should be expected to be excited by the prospect of canceling their plans to spend the whole night with children, but she hoped she didn’t sound as horrified as she felt.

But Jim knew her well enough to know she wasn’t thrilled, picking up on the sudden change in her body language and the way she turned so fast from him as she spoke.

Pam continued to try and hide her unease as she grabbed the landline phone from the base and cycled through the in-phone directory to find the number of their favorite restaurant so she could let them know to release their coveted 9PM seating for another couple to enjoy.

Jim had a pretty good sense that it wasn’t resentment or disappointment about not going to dinner that had her suddenly sullen and distant, at least he thought it wasn’t. He gently grabbed the phone from her hand before she could hit dial, using his other hand to turn her to face him again.

“Hey, what’s wrong? If you really don’t want to, I’ll tell him we can't. It’s our first New Year’s. I’ll tell him we had something special planned for just the two of us. I get it you don’t want to spend it babysitting my brother’s rugrats.”

“No, it’s not that,” Pam stuttered hesitantly.

“As long as we’re together, it doesn’t really matter where we spend the New Year. It's just...”

Pam looked up at her boyfriend’s questioning eyes, trying to form the words that would make him understand her apprehension about meeting his niece and nephews.  She always knew she would be meeting them soon, was even excited to, just she had imagined it would be at a family event or a birthday party when she’d be eased into the meeting buffered by Jim’s brother and sister-in-law and possibly other relatives. She always thought she’d have a few opportunities to slowly get to know them and they would warm to her a little bit at a time with each new encounter. 

Here, she’d be meeting them moments before their parents would leave them in her and Jim’s care, overnight on a holiday and while outnumbered 3 to 2.

She’d heard from Betsy how rambunctious Charlie was, and from Tom how demanding Vanessa could be and well she didn’t need to be told how needy, Evan, the youngest Halpert, born just only some months ago, was. Babies, she knew, required a lot of attention and she was quite honestly terrified to babysit a 4-month old.

“You know I’m not the greatest with kids” she continued. “You remember take your daughter to work day at the office. I couldn’t get any of the kids to like me. I didn’t know how to talk to them, much less babysit them.”

“Meredith’s son liked you.”

“Meredith’s son liked shredding things. And I’m pretty sure I can’t entertain your brother’s kids with office supplies, Jim.”

She paused and looked down at her hands which she was characteristically twisting as she spoke.

“Jim, of course we are going to say yes. I would never have you tell your brother no. I’m just nervous, that’s all.”

“Hey, you won’t be there alone. I’ll be there too. I mean I’ve never taken care of a baby, or watched them overnight, but how tough can it be?”

Pam recalled her one and only babysitting experience, watching the Miller kids. Her mom and the Miller mom were friends and she’d met the kids a few times while shopping with her mom and at some church event. They seemed like your average 4 and 7-year olds, quietly standing by their mom as she talked with Helene. Pam even got a smile out of the younger one as she made silly faces at him while they waited.

The night she went to babysit, the quiet little boys became demon children. Steven, the older one, violently overturned the Sorry game they were playing the first instance his pawn was knocked back to start. That set him off for a night of throwing his toys at her anytime he didn’t get his way.

“No, you can’t have cookies for dinner,” thwap, a matchbox car hit her on the ass as she turned to heat up the meal she was instructed to feed them.

“Your mother said only one hour of TV,” bam, a toy fire engine rammed into her shin.

The little one, Paul, about an hour after dinner stripped down to nothing and ran around the house completely naked while Pam pleaded with him to put his clothes back on in between icing the bruise forming from the huge tonka truck that just hit her on her side.

After that, she refused to take another sitting job ever, not even the sweet girls that lived down the block for fear they too would turn on her as soon as she stepped through the door.  

As she told Jim her adventures watching the Miller boys, able to laugh about it now many years later, she assured him she was ready to give babysitting another try.

 

 

“Pammmmm in Boots”

Michael was at her desk, playing it like drums. He’d obviously seen her come in with the new Bearpaws that she still had on.

“You’re dressed very casual today.”

Pam turned her attention from her screen momentarily to look up at Michael, who was similarly dressed in jeans and a hoodie. Directing her eyes back to the computer she responded to his observation.

“Michael, you told us to dress down.”

“I did Pam. I did. And how come?”

“Because we’re going to be doing inventory today.”

“And why should we not wear nice clothes while we do inventory?”

“Because we’ll be downstairs getting dirty.”

She looked up at him again, exasperation on her face as she awaited it.

Michael shot a quick glance to the camera before his face morphed into the slaphappy smile that preceded his signature catchphrase.

“Thatttt’s what she said.”

With a snort, Michael raised his eyes at Pam who giving him no reaction returned to laser point focus on her computer screen.

Dwight, however, burst into hysterical laughter. Andy too. Even Jim, despite thinking it was a very forced set up, flashed a raised eyebrow to the camera but couldn’t help but chuckle once the joke had landed.  Looking past Michael he sought out Pam’s eyes to share silent laughter with her.

But Pam still didn’t look up. He knew not even a high scoring free cell would keep her so engaged she wouldn’t respond to the hallmark smirk that Jim was currently throwing her way and Jim wondered what it could be that was preoccupying her.

With no reaction from Pam, Michael moved on to the always responsive audience of Dwight and Andy, while Jim got up from his seat and walked around behind the receptionist’s desk, hunching down behind her to view her screen.

“Are we still on this?”

On the computer, Pam was reading an article with tips on babysitting. To the side of the keyboard sat a pad, littered with notes she had taken from what had to be several different articles, plus lists each headed with names including Mom, Betsy, Phyllis and even Meredith, although that list had only one thing written on it, when nothing else shuts them up bribe them with candy.

“I just want to be as prepared as I can.”

Jim took control of the mouse, exiting the website and then crossed out what was listed under Meredith’s name.

“Ok, now I know you and Meredith both believe that candy can work magic with kids, but I can assure you the last thing we want is to ply my nephew with sugar. But you’ve got to stop worrying. Bribery is not going to be necessary. They are going to love you. I promise. They’re Halperts after all.”

Just as Pam was about to protest and reload the article to her screen, Michael called out he expected everyone down in the warehouse in 5 minutes.

Dwight who had already jumped from his seat, repeated Michael’s call to action and started handing out clipboards as everyone began to get up from their chairs.

“You heard him. I’ve got the assignments. I’ve designated a counting quota for everyone based on their arrival time in the warehouse. The last person downstairs has this one.”

He held up a board with what looked like a full ream of ultra-white card stock threatening to bust the clip barely holding the pages in place.

“Let’s get this over with,” Stanley grumbled as he got up and shuffled towards the door.

"There’s going to be pizza right? You promised pizza.”

“Relax Kevin,” Angela snipped at him.

Oscar chimed in, “Kevin, Michael told us not to worry about lunch so I'm sure he's got the pizza covered.”

The look on Michael’s face however, said otherwise.

 “Michael, you did order the pizza, right. It’s already noon and you know how long it takes Alfredo’s to deliver.”

He turned to Pam, “Um, Pam you took care of that right?”

“Michael, you never told me to order any pizza.”

“Michael.” Oscar, Phyllis and Kevin groaned in unison.

“Oh man. It’s lunch time now and their delivery always takes an extra 45 minutes…”

Kevin looked down at his hands running his pointer along the chubby fingers on his opposite hand.

“That plus the 30 minutes to make the pizza and the 5 minutes to place the order.”

He looked up with horror on his face.

“Michael, I can’t not eat for another 2 hours. I’ve got to eat before then. I can’t count things when I'm hungry.”

Under her breath Angela murmured, “you can’t count when you’re full either.”

“Relax, Kevin. Eat your M&Ms.”

“Good idea.” With that Kevin proceeded to grab his jar and started towards the exit.

“What about the rest of us Michael?” Toby moaned.

“Yeah, Bob’s not going to like it when I’m not hungry for dinner at our regular time because I ate lunch so late.”

“Toby, you can eat your shirt. You aren’t invited to our inventory pizza party anyway.”

“Tell you what,” Pam interjected. “Jim and I will run out and get the pizzas. At least then we don’t have to wait on delivery. You all get started and by the time you’ve worked up an appetite, we’ll be back with the pies and maybe an extra treat for your patience.”

She winked at Kevin.

“On Michael, right?” she added holding her hand out for his credit card.

 

 

“That was some sweet maneuvering, Beesly.”

Pam clicked her seatbelt as Jim pulled the car into reverse.

“You liked that Halpert, didn’t you? Got us out of inventory for a bit and we get to take a little road trip to boot. And pick the special snack. Now, should we get ice cream or donuts?”

“What do you think?”

Puffs of cold escaped her mouth as she spoke, the temperature seemingly colder than when they left his apartment that morning.

“Ok, then let’s hit the donut shop first so the pizza stays hotter for longer.”

Pam rubbed her hands together, holding them in front of the vents, the heated air finally coming out to warm her gloved fingers up.

“That’s my girl, always thinking.”

Jim reached his free hand across the console to rest it on Pam’s lap. In turn she placed her now warmed hands over his, feeling the cold of his gloveless hands on her thigh. They drove away from the office, Pam scanning through the presets on the radio. The jazzy and slightly psychedelic sound of the Zombies dispersed from out of the speakers.

The warmth of your smile’s like the warmth of the sun…

Keep that,” Jim said. “I haven’t heard this song since my brother used to play it.”

“I’ve never heard this before. Who’s singing it?”

“I think it’s the Zombies. Kinda perfect for our new year, don’t you think?”

Pam listened to the strains of the perfect little hymn that seemed to celebrate them, with all they’d been through and all that was ahead of them.

And this will be our year, took a long time to come.

Jim feeling her gaze on him as the song hit the bridge, turned to Pam, on her face a bright smile that had been missing most of the morning as she poured over articles and worried about their upcoming New Year’s Eve.

“How is it, you always have the perfect song?”

“You found this one, not me.”

“Yeah, but you knew the words so well. How did you know how relevant it was to us?”

“I guess I’m just always listening.”

The song ended and Pam lowered the radio.

 “That’s why you are so good with people, because you are a great listener.”

“You’re not too shabby yourself, Beesly. Anyone who can listen to Michael as much as you have to in your position deserves a prize. And the fact you keep him from getting into too much trouble, that takes real talent. That’s why I don’t understand why you’re still so concerned over this babysitting thing. You know you showed some excellent mothering skills back there.”

“What are you talking about? I suggested we go for the pizza.”

“Yeah, well I felt a tantrum or two coming on, and you reined that back just like my mom would have done. Pamela Morgan Beesly you show great promise as not only a babysitter but a great mother.”

The car finally warm, she removed her hat and set it on her lap, the itchiness only tolerable when it was keeping her body heat in.

“You’re equating ditching tedious office chores with motherhood?”

“No, I’m saying you used quick thinking to diffuse a childish outburst from the kids we work with. But really, think of all the motherly things you do here. You make sure everyone gets their homework, I mean reports done, signed and submitted on time. You tell us to wear our hats and gloves when it’s cold out.”

“I see how well you listen to that, Halpert.” Pam reached out and lightly smacked his hatless head.

“You helped calm Dwight when he had his concussion. I might never have gotten him out the door without you. Then when he went through his breakup with Angela, remember how concerned you were for him. You knew how he was going through something right away. And remember how you told me about Michael and the dead bird. You were the only one to see what he was going through and you knew just what to do to make him feel better. Only someone destined to be a great mother could achieve that.”

Arriving at the Dunkin Donuts Jim pulled into a spot and turned to her.

“And you even keep me from going too far with pranking Dwight”

“Yeah, well putting super glue on his mouse would have been a little too much. The label says bonds instantly to skin. Besides, gluing it to the mousepad proved to be funnier anyway.”

Jim had to agree on that. Watching Dwight’s frustration as he tried to move his mouse was the perfect pick-me-up when he got back from his embarrassing trip to Utica.

“But none of that other stuff means anything because they’re adults. I’m worried about being good with kids.”

“Come on Pam, you can’t tell me Dwight’s not a kid. And Michael, he’s the definition of a child. Hell, he makes Evan seem mature and he still wears diapers and drinks from a bottle.”

Pam placed her hat back on, preparing to run into the Dunkin Donuts and get their children a treat for their good behavior.

“I guess you do have a point,” she said as she jumped out of the car into the cold air.

Pam returned to the car with two boxes of donuts, placing them in the back seat before joining Jim again in the front. He was just closing up his phone as Pam slipped into the front seat.

“Tell me, which one of our children was calling about the pizza?”

“What, no that was my brother.  He just wanted to finalize our plans. They want to know what snacks and dinner foods they can get for us.”

“Umm I don’t know, maybe some Stilton cheese, Beluga caviar, oh and lobster and filet mignon for sure.”

“Funny Beesly, seriously, what should I tell him?”

“I don’t know. You know what I like, pigs in blankets, maybe a cheese plate, some potstickers, ooh and some hummus and pita chips.”

Jim groaned.

“Really you’re going to eat that stuff and then kiss me at midnight.”

“Hey if I’m spending our first New Year’s babysitting your niece and nephews, the least you can do is get me some hummus.”

“Oh, by the way niece and nephew…as in they decided to take the baby with them.”

“So, you’re saying they don’t trust me with an infant. Not that they should.”

“Oh my God, Beesly. Sensitive much. No, he told me they were always considering that. She didn’t want us to have to deal with him waking up all through the night. He said since they’ll be up late into the morning that it would be easy enough to have him at the wedding with all her sorority sisters there to take turns watching him. And the noisier it is the more he sleeps, so he’ll probably sleep better at the wedding than at home. Plus, Marcie’s still breastfeeding and he said something about pumping and that’s when I told him I didn’t need to hear all the details just that you’d be happy to hear we weren’t going to have to take care of the baby.”

“Jimmm...” Pam whined at him. “Why would you tell him that?”

“What, I thought you were most concerned about taking care of the baby.”

“Yeah, but I didn’t want you to tell them that. Now they’re going to think I don’t like babies.”

Jim bent his head forward, the palms of his hands catching his head as gravity pulled it towards his lap.

“You are nuts, you know that. Absolutely nuts.”

Chapter End Notes:

I would have liked to see Pam and Jim taking of a baby but I think that would have been a little much for them. Good thing I’m writing the story here and took it easy on them.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans