- Text Size +

1. He’s pretty good at sex. 


The documentary didn’t show so much of that. Or really any of his time with Katy, which was a shame because they had some fun dates. 


But Jim was considerate, and he listened. It was part of the reason Katy had agreed to go out with him in the first place - that, and he was funny in a dorky way, which was a nice break from some of the guys she’d dated before. They turned out to be good qualities in the bedroom. The listening and consideration, she means. Not the dorkiness. Or the jokes.


He got less good at listening, though. 


Which was a pity. 


But let’s just say, when Pam mentioned nice mornings too in the documentary, Katy could confirm. She did, when her girlfriends asked. Although it was more nice nights in her case.  


Katy thinks Pam’s pretty lucky in that regard. 


Still, Katy’s husband has given her nice mornings and nights too. And afternoons. And evenings. And he actually laughs when she makes a joke - not just when he thinks she’s making a joke, which a lot of times she wasn’t, Jim - so maybe Katy’s luckier. 

 

 


2. He thought Katy was dumber than she was. 


He never acted like it on their first few dates, when he was making her laugh and she was making out with him. But he hadn’t been very kind to her at all, when he’d broken up with her on that boat. He’d apologised for it afterwards, but she hadn’t forgotten the way he barely looked at her. 


The clips they showed on the documentary didn’t help with the dumb thing, either. Which Katy was a bit hurt by. They were very selective, those camera people. Ok, she was a cheerleader, but it’s not like she didn’t go to college. And what’s wrong with being a cheerleader anyway? 


And purse girl? She didn’t call Jim paper guy. Or any of the guys in that office. And she could have called them a few things, because they were weird. She’s a successful businesswoman, and the documentary never showed that.


And the Legally Blonde thing - well, now that she’s seen the documentary she knows Pam wasn’t laughing because she thought it was a good choice. Also kind of hurtful. Katy’s sorry she doesn’t watch weird things like Fargo, whatever that is. Legally Blonde is a good movie. 


She also doesn’t like the way they made her look totally clueless just because she didn’t know about Pam. Like, just because she didn’t somehow figure out that the engaged receptionist Jim never spoke about on any of their dates (and Katy did ask him about his work), and who patched Katy on through to Jim every time without saying anything, was the girl he was in love with. Jim never did give Katy his extension. Which Katy thinks was a bit shitty. 


She watched all of the documentary and actually thought their love story was cute, but she doesn’t think everyone should assume she was dumb for not realising at the time. That Roy guy hadn’t either, and he’d been engaged to her. Katy feels especially bad for Roy. 


 

 

 3. A third thing? She didn’t go on that many dates with him. 


Ok, if she has to pick something, he’s dorkier than she’d first thought. And dorkier than the documentary shows. 


Like, the documentary gets caught up in how funny the pranks were (not the hours Jim put into preparing them, once at the expense of a date with Katy). And that quick flash of his bedroom did not reveal his comic book collection, which Katy wonders if he might have hidden. 


There was also that time - the only time he brought up Pam on a date, actually - when she’d texted him, and he’d replied in this weird code. He said it was pig latin. He’d been laughing. Katy didn’t get it. He said it was funny, because Pam hated pig latin. Katy still didn’t get it. He’d showed her the texts, a whole week of him texting Pam in gobbledygook, and…well, Katy just didn’t get it. She didn’t understand how that was funny? She still doesn’t. 


She’d eventually laughed because she hadn’t wanted him to feel bad, but he’d gone a bit quiet after that. He didn’t show her any of his texts again.

 

She’d found it sort of cute when they were dating, but also - the whole Danny Corday thing on the documentary? It’s no wonder Jim would call a dork like that back. He is one. 

Chapter End Notes:

Katy doesn’t work for Dunder Mifflin, I know. She did technically work in Dunder Mifflin though. For that one afternoon. 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans