- Text Size +

“Cece, please give your brother back his graham crackers.”

He glances over at Pam who is looking at Cece through the rearview mirror. Phillip is crying, Cece is arguing, and their SUV is filled to the brim with suitcases and boxes and snacks. They had only just crossed the Pennsylvania border into Maryland, and there hasn’t been a moment of silence since they left their driveway. He can tell Pam is stressed out, and he’s wondering if uprooting their family to Austin was actually a good idea. He’s excited for the move, and Pam insists that she is now, too, but he never wants to give her a reason to doubt him, or them, ever again. 

He knows he never would have forgiven himself if he had let her walk away. He still finds himself trying to make it up to her, even though she has told him multiple times that he’s okay; that they’re okay. The last year has been great, though. He’s had to travel occasionally for Athleap, but he’s home way more often and they’re both happier for it. Moving to Austin will mean he’s home every night, Pam will be able to get an art job, the kids will get their own rooms and even their own bathrooms. The bigger paycheck doesn’t hurt, either. Everyone will be happier, once they actually arrive in Texas. Until then, they have another twenty hours in the car together, and he’s praying they still have some sanity when they pull up to their new house. 

Pam gets a movie going and then it’s finally quiet, save for Rapunzel’s singing, but he’ll take that over the bickering any day. He reaches over and grabs Pam’s hand and she smiles up at him, interlocking her fingers with his. 

“So,” he says quietly, making sure the kids don’t hear, “are we sure this was a good idea?”

“It better be. I’m not moving again until Phil is in college. At least.”

He laughs, “Maybe we could have paid extra to have the movers drive our car while we took the truck by ourselves.”

“Do you think it’s too late to book them their own hotel room?”

“Just say the word and it’s done.”

She giggles and then looks back to see both kids asleep. “I can’t wait to see their reaction to the house.”

They had taken a little trip to Austin alone a couple of months ago to scout out neighborhoods, and ended up falling in love with a house just outside of Austin with a huge yard, a finished basement (a true rarity in Texas), a pool, and, to Pam’s delight, a small terrace outside of the master bedroom. Even though they weren’t expecting to make any offers while they were there, it was a no-brainer to call Carol and ask her to get the paperwork ready for when they got back.

And now, after months of planning, and signing, and packing, they’re only a couple of days away from starting their new life. Pam has already been telling him what she wants to do with the terrace, and he couldn’t be more grateful that she’s ready to take this next step with him. 

He brings her hand to his lips and kisses the back of it. “Thank you again for this.”

“Jim.”

“I know, I know. I just… it’s actually happening and you should know how much I appreciate you doing this.”

She squeezes his hand. “I do know.”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

And he would make sure she knew that was true, every day. 

Chapter End Notes:
This was the chapter that had me write this whole story in the first place and so it’s only right for this to be the chapter that closes the story out. I loved writing this even if it took me way longer than it really should have. 


nicemorningtoo is the author of 27 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked I've Spent My Whole Life Tryin' to Put it Into Words also liked 1062 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans