- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Originally posted 12 August 2021

Inspired by tinydundie’s take on this scene.

Enjoy!

“Are you happy?”

“…Yes, I’m happy.”

“No, I know that you’re, like, happy and, like, you had fun today.”

“Yeah.”

“And that was fun.  But what about a year from now?”

“What?”

“What about five years from now?”

“Pam.”

“Because I’m so glad you’re back, baby, but I’m just— I was talking to Darryl, and he was talking about the trip, and I just feel like you’re giving up so much.”

“This was my decision, not yours.”

“Okay.”

“You didn’t force me.”

“I kind of forced you to do it.”

“You did not force me to do this.”

“Yes, I did.”

“I don’t know how else to tell you.”

“I’m afraid that you’re gonna resent me and I’m afraid that”
Resent you?”
“Scranton’s not enough for you and I’m afraid that I’m not enough for you.”

“…Is that really what you think?”

“…”

“Pam, please…”

“Can we sit down?”

“Okay.”


“I know that I’m just being insecure because I know you’re happy here—”

“I really am.  I love it here just as much as you do.”

“And you don’t have to prove that to me.  But you’re so talented and smart and charming and you shouldn’t have to work at a place like this.  I mean, you’re not getting paid half what you would with Athlead.”

“Colin said our investment is gonna pay off, Pam, we’re set for life.  We can afford the best, for us and the kids.  Hell, we’re getting an Altima.”

“It’s more than just the money.  You should take pride in what you do.  I mean, you met your childhood hero, you-you were working in your favorite industry.”

“I also worked long nights, had to deal with creative differences amongst the others, scrambled to find investors just to get it off the ground, all the while juggling another job while three hours away from my family.  And yeah, living the bachelor life was fun for a while, but after that it really set in how much better it is coming home at 5:30 PM rather than one in the morning.”

“I know, but you gave up a promotion just to ask me out.  You demoted yourself to help support me and Cece.  You did those for me because you didn’t care about your job.  But now you’re doing it again with something you put all this time into.”

“Time I could’ve spent with you and the kids.  Athlead, it… it became a chore.  It wasn’t this amazing opportunity anymore, just a risky, overly-expensive mess I had to help clean up.  And none of that would have happened if I didn’t call them back or just talked to you about how I felt.  I’m not giving up anything.”

“…If I could do this all over again, I would have told you to go for it.  You should go with Darryl.”

“No, you don’t have to do that for me.  Not after everything I put us through.”

“What if an opportunity like this never comes again?  A-and you’re stuck here for the rest of your life instead of doing what you love?”

“Pam, baby, it’s only a job.  Just like this one.  And this isn’t the best job in the world, but I don’t care about that anymore.  I shouldn’t have, to begin with.”

“But no matter how you feel about Athlead now, part of you will always want it, or just something more.  And you shouldn’t be stuck here for years, doing nothing.  So if you wanna job hunt and find something better, I’ll help you.  However I can.”

“I appreciate that, but that’s not necessary.  Pam, what’s bringing all of this on?”

“…I have everything I’ve ever wanted.  I love my job and my kids and my house, and that’s all because of you.  I’m just scared that I haven’t done the same for you.”

“Y-you can’t believe that.”

“I’m so sorry—”

“Hey, come here… Listen, you’ve given me everything I could ever want or need.  And I can’t apologize enough that I made you doubt that.  I wanted Athlead for me, Pam.  I wanted it for us, too, but the moment I looked at you that day, I… I couldn’t lose you.”

“Y-you could never lose me.  I just missed you.”

“I missed you, too.  And neither of us know what the future holds.  Just know that I’m always exactly where I need to be as long as you’re right here with me.  If that’s Dunder Mifflin, if that’s selling paper, even until I retire, then I’m where I belong.  Like I said, this matters, Pam.  Nothing else.”

“…I just want what’s best for you.”

“It’s a good thing I already have the best.”

“I appreciate it.”

“C’mon, let’s get back inside before Dwight docks our pay.”

“Okay.”

“Hey.  I love you.”

“I love you, too.  And I’ll always support you.  No matter what.”

“You always do.”


“So, is Pam okay?”

“I’ve never seen her like this.”

“What happened?”

“Well, she’s scared that she hasn’t done enough for me.  That she’s not enough for me.”

“Hm.”

“And she’s given me everything.  I mean, you guys know that.  Better than most.”

“Well, sure.”

“Not enough?  I don’t know how else to explain it to her, so, you know what?  I know it’s against the rules but I’m gonna need a favor from you guys.”

“Okay.  You got it, man.”

Chapter End Notes:

Does it irk anyone else that the investment was never brought up again after it was introduced?



3vasectomies is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked How the DVD Was Made also liked 186 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Episode Relateds. The previous story in the series is Why Pam Gave Carol Stills a Call.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans