- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Good luck YB, you're gonna smash it!!

I don't own anything here. Just the memories of my own first job. 

"You look very handsome," Betsy Halpert said as she smoothed down her son's shirt, brushing imaginary lint from his shoulders. 

"Mom," Jim whinged, shrugging her off of him.

"What? I can't say my baby boy looks extra handsome on his first day of work?" she asked.

"You're making me nervous. Stop, please," he pleaded with her.

"Oh shush, you're going to be wonderful. Everyone is going to love you."

"I wouldn't be so sure of that," he laughed with a slightly bitter edge to his chuckle.

"What makes you say that?" Betsy asked.

"I just have a weird feeling. The manager is this crazy guy, and he wouldn't let me upstairs for the interview. We just met outside the dingy office building and then he took me to Dunkin' Donuts and mainly talked about his favourite donut, which is Boston Crème by the way, and then showed me a magic trick." Jim sighed and looked into the mirror. He pushed his floppy hair one way, and then the other, before sighing again. "It's just going to be so boring. It's selling paper for god's sake."

"I know sweetheart, but just think, a couple of years of working there and you'll have enough money to start that company with Isaac. The sports one."

"Nah, that's not gonna happen. He's got a great job in Philly now. Plus it was just a stupid idea from a couple of 19 year olds." He tightened his tie slightly and checked his cuffs. "Oh god, I just hope I'm not at this place for too long," he groaned. "If I'm 30 and still working at Dunder Muffin, shit Dunder Mifflin..."

"Language James," Betsy warned.

"Sorry mom. It's just such a stupid name," he said with a roll of his eyes.

"But it will pay the bills, and get you some real experience, even if it's not quite what you want to do long term. But either way, I know you will be just great, baby."

"Thanks," he said with a lopsided grin.

"I made you a lunch to take with today. It's on the counter, don't forget it."

"Oh you didn't need to do that mom."

"It's just a ham and cheese sandwich and some baby carrots. But, that's the last lunch I'm making you. You're a grown man with a job. And hopefully your own apartment soon. So no more mommy making your lunches, you hear me?" she laughed.

"Well, thank you. I mean I can't imagine I'd be going out with anyone for lunch, so this is awesome. Thank you." 

"Ok, you better get going, you don't want to be late on your first day," she said, trying to usher him out of the door. 

Jim grabbed the brown paper bag from the kitchen counter and pulled his messenger bag over his head. "Ok, wish me luck," he smiled at his mom.

"Good luck sweetheart, you're going to be amazing. "Knock 'em dead," she said, before reaching up to give him a kiss on the cheek. 

"Thanks mom, I love you."

"Love you too baby."

After fighting his way through the rush hour traffic, Jim arrived at the Scranton Business Park over on Slough Avenue. He pulled his maroon Toyota Corolla up next to a dark green Ford Ranger pickup truck and put it into park, before looking up at the nondescript building in front of him and sighing. He grabbed his messenger bag from the passenger seat, accidentally knocking his lunch bag into the footwell, where it would stay until he found it at 5.02pm, and climbed out of the car. He opened the heavy glass door to the building and smiled nervously at the bored security guard, before pressing the elevator call bell. He arrived on the 2nd floor and as the doors opened, he looked around at the worn carpet and beige walls. Here goes nothing, he thought, I really hope you're right, mom. I hope this place is gonna be ok. He took a deep breath and opened the door to Dunder Mifflin.

"Hi, can I help you?" she smiled. 

"Um, hi, yeah," he nervously said. He cleared his throat and tried again. "I'm Jim Halpert. I'm the new salesman starting today." He gave her a small awkward wave. God, she's everything, he thought. 

"Oh hi, I'm Pam. Pam Beesly," she said, holding out her hand with a brilliant smile. He felt the electricity jolt through him as their palms touched. "Let me show you to your desk."

"Alright," he said, extending his hand, motioning for her to lead the way. 

"Just one thing," she said, turning around to face him. She looked up at him with a grin, the tip of her tongue poking through her teeth. He raised his eyebrow in question. "Enjoy this moment, because you're never going to go back to this time before you met your desk mate Dwight." 

And he knew everything was going to be alright.



MrsKHalpert is the author of 40 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Mom Knows Best also liked 1002 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans