- Text Size +
Story Notes:
At first I was going to keep this like my usual Christmas one shots, but as I got into writing it, if felt better to make it multi-chapter. Hope you like it.

Standard Disclaimer applies.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Before one can light a fire, one must prepare the ground.

Well, this gift has been a disaster, Pam thought to herself as she tucked the CIA file back away after Jim had handed it back to her. She was sure that if anything would snap Jim out of the funk he seemed to be in, it was a well-planned prank on Dwight. Glancing up she saw the familiar outline of his rear profile. It was still something she was getting used to seeing. For years it had been easy to glance up and catch his expression. During the months he’d been in Stamford she realized how much she had taken that for granted. Now he was back, but it felt like he hadn’t really come back. Pam pretended to type out some work orders but couldn’t help analyzing him once more. So many things seemed to have changed. His sleeves went down to his wrists. The tone of his voice was more formal, even somber if she really thought about it. His shoulders seemed heavier as if there was an invisible weight crushing down on them. And of course, he had a new lady on his arm. Stamford seemed to have swallowed up her best friend and spat out someone totally new. Glancing back down at the CIA file again, a small drawing of herself she’d pinned to the inside wall behind her pencil cup caught her eye. A drawing given to her by the man she longed to see once more. The sight of the drawing snapped something in her and she felt a resolve come over her that replaced the disappointment.

No, the real Jim is still in there somewhere. I know it. The ARM of Dunder-Mifflin Stamford might have evolved past the point of pranks or grape soda, but Scranton Jim is still there. Those early morning faxes Dwight would get from himself, giving me crap about only having one kitchen, Andy knowing everything that I would hate to do on a date, and that smile he gave me when he walked back in on the day of the merger, the smile I’ve never seen him give anyone else, yeah, my Jim is still in there somewhere.

The fax machine whirring to live behind her pulled Pam out of her reverie. She was about to turn around to retrieve the papers coming out of the machine when a different voice caused her to look up.

“’Scuse me.” Kevin was sliding in between the partition and her desk to make a grab for the incoming fax. “I need to grab those.”

“No problem Kev,” Pam said kindly and scooted her chair to the side to allow him easier access to the fax machine. She nodded at the papers. “What’s that?”

“Oh this?” Kevin riffled through the papers in his hands. “This is what’s going to give me the inside scoop on the BCS championship game this year. You know what the BCS is right?”

Memories of Roy swearing at college football teams on TV surfaced in her mind and she quickly pushed them to the side. “Yeah, the Bowl Championship Series for the college football national title,” she answered.

“Right, well,” Kevin started to get slightly more animated now that he had a captive audience. “The Associated Press and coaches' polls that rank the teams is always changing. But I’ve got a buddy who knows a guy who is friends with a computer guy who works for the NCAA and can get the inside scoop on the rankings before they’re announced each week. So, we’re going to put down a huge bet and with this information we should be able to score really big.”

Pam quirked an eyebrow at her co-worker. “Seems kinda shady.”

Kevin’s grin, if anything, only seemed to get bigger. “That’s the best part! He's got this secret hacker program, that will keep us all from getting caught. It’s like it’s right out of Ocean’s 11! With all the money we’re going to get, I’ll finally be able to tell Stacy that we can have the wedding she wants. It’s going to be awesome!”

A small smile cracked Pam’s face. “That seems really nice. I hope it works out for you.”

“Thanks,” Kevin grinned.

Thinking back to the previous year, Pam recalled the one time she’d met Stacy at the barbeque at Jim’s house. Other memories quickly followed. Poking around his room and paging through his yearbook, being able to fully relax with Jim since she didn’t also have to keep half an eye on Roy for a variety of reasons, her wonder that he’d so readily welcomed Michael into the party and even got up to sing with their boss, and of course the range of conflicted emotions when Phyillis said the secret office relationship was between herself and Jim.

Her thoughts continued to stir as Kevin made his way back to his desk. That’s it! If even Kevin can have a plan to find happiness in love, then I should be able to too. I know Jim better than anyone around here. I should be able to show him that I’m not the same woman I was last spring. I know he’s with Karen and all, but it’s Christmas! Christmas is the time to tell people how you feel. This will need some work though.

Hours later she felt vindication flowing through her heart. The cold winter wind did nothing to tamp down the warmth flowing through her heart as she stood next to Jim and watched Dwight pace the roof through the hedges that ringed the parking lot.

“How long do you think he’ll stay up there,” she whispered.

Jim checked his watch. “Well, it’s already ten minutes past the scheduled rendezvous time. Let’s give him another five and then we’ll call it.”

“Sound good to me,” Pam grinned and looked over at Jim. The spark of mischief once more twinkled in his eye. His smile was easy and reached his eyes, unlike the expression she’d seen when he’d unwrapped his matching DVD earlier in the day. Schooling her thoughts based on her own interactions with Karen throughout the day, she covered her face by blowing her breath through her hands. Jim saw it right away.

“Getting cold Beesly?”

“A little,” she admitted.

Glancing at his watch once more, Jim nodded at her. “Oh, go ahead and put Dwight out of his misery.”

“You sure?” Pam asked while pulling out her phone to send the text.

“Yeah, I’m getting cold too,” he said while rubbing his own hands together.

“How about a cup of hot coco to warm up with to celebrate a prank well done? The Starbucks around the corner should still be open.” Pam asked as she typed. A wave of nervousness flowed through her. She sent off the text to Dwight and looked over at Jim.

“That sounds great. I’ll meet you over there as soon as Dwight leaves.”

The warmth of his tone melted any of the anxiety that had built up in her chest. A silence developed between them. Unsure of what to say she fiddled with her phone until the clatter of plastic on pavement brought her back to reality. Looking through the bushes she saw Dwight’s phone lying in pieces in the parking lot.

“Quick! Get back!” Jim hissed and gently pulled her arm down to help them keep out of sight.

They ducked out of sight to look at the front door of the office. Moments later Dwight appeared still carrying his bag over his shoulder. Dwight kept looking around the corners of the lot while he made his way back to his car and drove away. Once Dwight was out of sight, Jim and Pam stood up grinning from their hiding place.

“So? Starbucks?” Jim said while brushing some snow off his coat.

“Yeah!” Pam said brightly.

They walked around the block to where they’d parked their cars. Pam was pleased that Jim walked her to her car and made sure she had the door open before he stepped towards his own vehicle. The short drive only took a few minutes before they were parked side by side in the Starbucks parking lot and walking towards the door.

“Here let me get that for you,” Jim said and reached for the door.

“Thank you,” Pam smiled at him.

“You’re welcome,” he grinned in return.

There was no line when they walked in while unfastening their coats.

“Welcome to Starbucks, what can I get for you?” asked the teenager behind the counter.

“Ladies first,” Jim gestured for Pam to step forward.

“Venti peppermint white hot chocolate,” Pam said without having to look at the menu board.

“Make it two,” said Jim as he pulled out his wallet.

“You don’t have to,” Pam lightly protested.

Jim waved her off and handed his credit card over to be scanned. “Least I can do.”

After giving their names they walked down the counter to wait for their drinks. Pam took off her coat and draped it over her arm. “Okay if we sit and drink or do you have to go anywhere?”

“Sitting sounds great. I’ll be able to tell you the whole story of how lunch went.”

“Ooooh! Yes please!” Pam bounced on her toes.

Their drinks were ready in short order. Pam led the way to a table for two next to a window. She was about to reach for her chair, but Jim got there first.

“Allow me,” he said and pulled her chair out for her.

“Thanks again.” The warmth in her heart ticked up another notch at the kind gesture.

“My pleasure,” he replied and sat down across from her.

“Was it your mom or Larissa who taught you such good manners?” she gently teased.

“My dad actually,” Jim said with a proud note in his voice.

“Glad to see his lessons stuck,” Pam said and raised her cup in Jim’s direction. “Now tell me all about this lunch you and the entourage got dragged to and why Michael came back with two of the waitresses.”

Jim chuckled and started to tell Pam of the lunchtime adventure. Pam in turn regaled him about how the two parties had started out separate but eventually merged into one. They both talked easily until Pam accidentally kicked her bag that she’d set next to her feet and some of the contents spilled out onto the floor.

“Oh shoot!” she exclaimed and reached down to collect her items.

“Let me help,” Jim said and bent down.

“Thanks.” said Pam. She pointed at a flat book that had slid closer to him. “Could you hand that to me please?”

“No problem.”

Pam saw Jim glance at the book before he handed it over.

“A book on how to oil paint?” Jim had a quirk in his eye. “I thought watercolor was your usual medium?”

“It is,” Pam said as she felt her face flame while putting the book away. “But like always, good luck getting Roy to remember something like that. It was nice of him to be sure, but if he thinks he’s going to win me back with something like that, he’s dreaming.”

Glancing up, she looked at Jim’s expression. She saw his swallow hard with a guarded expression on his face. Knowing she was treading close to dangerous waters; she quickly tossed the remainder of her items back in her bag and sat back up.

“I mean we were together for how long and he still couldn’t remember my preferred painting medium? It was kind of sweet, but at the same time, no thanks.” Pam took a sip of her hot coco and a bit of her nervousness too. “It’s the small details that matter in the end right? How well you remember something about a person means a lot I think.”

Jim looked down into his own cup for a moment. “Yeah.”

Feeling tension starting to build, Pam quickly changed the subject. “Did I tell you I’m taking art classes?”

Instantly she saw relief in Jim’s face as their conversation headed back to more friendly waters. She gladly told him about the classes she’d been taking and how much she’d been enjoying them. Their conversation spring boarded around host of lighter topics until they were told the store was about to close and they were politely asked to leave. Once more Jim walked Pam to her car door.

“Thanks for a great Christmas present,” Jim said with a glowing smile.

“You’re very welcome,” she beamed back. “Thanks for the hot coco.”

Feeling brave she stepped forward for a hug. His arms instantly coming around her back kept the coals of her heart glowing as well. After one last goodbye she pulled out of the driveway. Glancing in her rearview mirror she saw he was still watching her car leave.

Yeah, my Jim is still in there. Time to bring him back.

Chapter End Notes:
More coming soon.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans