- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Y’all are going to love this one!

The buzz was back. The bee stung her, injecting unwelcome emotion. The buzz of her fears was coming to life. It stung her heart, and a single salty tear stung her eye. 


She wasn’t upset, just scared. As if her safety net had been pulled off of her without warning then she was thrown into the sea of uncertainty. She knew she couldn’t tolerate the oncoming waves. The spray of the ocean escaped through her green eyes. She turned, facing away from the two on the swings. She bite her tongue to ground herself, then sat behind the large oak tree and pulled her knees up to her chin. She wanted to make herself smaller, less noticeable in her moment of vulnerability. She shook with each breath as her mind screeched with alarm of her not being good enough yet yelling at her for being dramatic. 


••


The tree protected her, but not well enough. Her peer always kept a steady eye on her, watching out for her. He watched her small figure begin to collapse into itself. He watched her eyes frantically search and her lips stay sealed. He could see her auburn curls peek from the bark of the tree. They were vibrant in comparison to the blank of the rough bark. 


Her peer hadn’t talked to Pam and didn’t know her much at all. Yet, the two seemed to have an unspoken agreement, each of them looking out for the other even when it was just looking away.  Shrute’s never blinked. They don’t need to rest their eyes. Their eyes are made of steel. He didn’t miss her look at her shoes or the fingers she held up for him when he raised his hand even though he did not know the answer to the addition problem. 


••


Pam heard boots crunching against the mulch. She spun around the see Dwight coming her way. She wanted to compose herself, but her breathing only seemed to increase with each footstep. The rains were coming sheets, pressing her with anxious fears. She was taken aback, unaware of his reasoning for approaching her. She knew Dwight but had never considered him someone to come to her. 


He slowly lowered himself to her level, folding his legs at his knees and sitting on the heel of his boots. Pam tensed. 

“It’s ok. I’m here. You don’t have to say anything,’ Dwight reassured.

She relaxed, breathing in a deep breath through the gaps in her clenched jaw. He had taken an umbrella and held it over her, slowing the oncoming panicked rain. His presence was comforting and reassuring and she felt calmer with his acceptance of her lack of voice. They sat in silence for a few seconds until Dwight looked up at her. 

“Did you get cooties?” Dwight asked sincerely, “I don’t have cooties, Shute’s don’t get them. Tell… no wait… draw who gave them to you and I’ll find them.”

Pam only pressed her teeth into her lip and gently put her face into her palms as another tear formed in the corner of her eyes. 


Chapter End Notes:
Was I right?

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans