- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter 5. This one is actually word for word from the original! 

It was time for the first grade mid year parent -teacher conference. It was soon after winter break, and the ground was covered in frost. It wasn’t snow, not fluffy and soft enough for kids to sled in, but brisk and chilly. The elementary school always had winter break, then a conference for any parents that wanted one or one requested by the teacher. It was always the day before the children come back for the second half of the year. Helene first went to Penny’s, were they complained of her lack of attention, but complimented her communication with her peers. The two girls ranged so much, it made Helene chuckle.


••


Helene was apprehensive to meet Pam’s first grade teacher. Pam had come home each day, excitedly sharing her experience of the day. It was strange to see her totally silent child standing stiffly next to the other children waiting to get into their cars, then as soon as the car door shut she would squeal and giggle about the happenings of the day. Since she was so silent at school, each story was held back in her, then she would erupt with stories. Pam, just like any other seven year old, loved making her family laugh. If she thought they were really good, she would save them for meal time so Penny could hear to. Penny was completely opposite of Pam, outgoing and chill. When Pam felt she had something that would make everyone laugh like Penny, she savored it. Pam couldn’t speak, even if she felt she had something important to say. At home though, she could share the silly, unimportant things. The stories always consisted of her teacher doing absolutely ridiculous things and even more ridiculous words to follow them. It came to a point that Helene thought her sweet girl wasn’t telling the truth, the stories seemed so far fetched.


Mr. Scott wasn’t an ordinary teacher. Pam enjoyed hearing his stories about his Forman grill, how hot Ms. Flax is, or showing off his new movie. Pam never said a word, but she stored each story carefully within to share with her family. The other children barely even noticed Pam since they were so busy trying to understand and watch their teacher. She became anxious whenever attention was on her, so she didn’t mind the situation and kept her head low. It felt like she was on stage 24/7, and he brain told her everyone was watching her as if she was on a stage 24/7 already. 


••


Helene sat next to the classroom door, waiting for her turn.

“Nexxxt,” Mr. Scott said loudly, looking to Helene.

“Mrs. Beesly,” Helene said, putting out her hand to shake his. 

Mr. Scott made a fist and put it under her hand, “Ha! It’s a chicken! Your hot, call me Micheal.”

“I- what?” Clearly Pam had been telling the truth was all Helene could think.

“Nah never mind, you’re probably as old as my grandmother,” he said, snorting at his own words.

“Ok, well I’m here for Pam…”

“Ohhhh. Pamalama ding dong. The one with selective mutism.”

“Yeah- I took her to Ms. Levinson to-,” Helene paused. What had he said? The one with what?

“Ah Ms. Levinson, she’s so hot.”

“Wait what did you say before?” Helene prompted.

“Ms. Levinson is a catch,” he said, clearly unfazed, “but not as much as Ms. Flax. Have you seen her??”

Helene took a deep breath, “No, no before that.”

“Oh, Pam, the kid with selective mutism.”

“Selective mutism?” Helene questioned. 

“Yeah, I thought my parrot had it because he would repeat after me, but when I wanted to show him off to others, he wouldn’t say anything,” Micheal said, annoyed. 

“What-.”

“Yeah, I googled a bunch and found it. I wanted to take him to a bird therapist. Couldn’t find one. He talks now, turns out he was mad because I was buying saltine crackers, not ritz. Now that I switched it he talks. I’ve switched Pam’s crackers, but it didn’t do anything. So it must be selective mutism,” he said plainly. “I know she talks to you, Hol- I mean Ms. Flax, told me in the beginning of the year,” he was looking at the classroom door, as if expecting Holly to walk in.

Helene was bewildered. Was this man joking? The look in his eyes told her no. Was he onto something? She had done some googling of her own, but was too afraid she would get lost in the unknowns of Google. This had certainly been the most bizarre teacher meeting she had yet to experience. This man was eccentric. Yet, maybe he had just found the answer to something so important in Pam’s life. Maybe his oblivious attitude allowed him to see it through a clear lens. Selective mutism. Just the name made sense. Pam was mute. It was something Helene started to accept, but Pam was only mute in select places. Maybe everything would be ok. 

“Uh ok, thank you Mr. Sc- Micheal,” she stammered, clearly unable to conceal her excitement. 

Micheal had picked up on it, but was oblivious to why, “Yeah! Want to get a drink?”

Helene was already out the door. The drive home felt like a huge weight was lifted. Suddenly, the frost looked beautiful and magic, no longer cold and rude. The sun was smiling at her, melting away her concern along with the frost on the tips of the grass and the limbs of the maple trees. She wasn’t sure what the next step was. Now she had hole though, hope ignited via a strange child man of a teacher. Maybe, just maybe they had found something.


Chapter End Notes:
Now I’ll give y’all chapter 6 for waiting on me!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans