- Text Size +

The first time he really noticed it, it was Michael's birthday. Everyone was worried about Kevin, of course, but he could see that she was really concerned about him. He watched her as she sat at her desk, biting the corner of her bottom lip before she started chewing on her thumb nail. She looked up at him, immediately dropping her hand and offering him a small smile with a roll of her eyes.

"You ok?" he mouthed at her. 

She nodded and turned her attention to her monitor, worrying her bottom lip between her teeth as she resumed her game of Freecell. Jim tried to concentrate on the sales report in front of him, but after tapping his pen on the paper several times, his gaze was drawn back to Pam. He pushed his chair backwards, and paused for a moment before putting his hands on his thighs to stand. 

"Come on," Jim said as he walked over to reception. "Lets go get a tea." Pam nodded, before sliding her own chair backwards and following him towards the kitchen. He pulled down their mugs from the cabinet, dropping a tea bag into Pam's pink ridged cup as she walked behind him, taking a seat at the table.

"I'm just really worried about him," Pam said quietly as she picked at a hangnail. She looked up at Jim who silently nodded as he filled his mug with coffee. He brought the mugs over to the table, passing Pam hers as he took a seat. "Thanks," she smiled as she wrapped her hands around the cup and blew the steaming drink. They sat quietly for a moment, both staring at the formica table in front of them. "When does he hear?" she asked, breaking the silence.

"Sometime today," Jim answered.

"Oh, poor Kevin," she replied, turning to look at the door

They carried on sitting in silence, until Pam got up and wandered over to the door to the bullpen when Dwight started shouting. Jim followed, standing close to her and stared out onto the madness before them. "I feel like we should go get Kevin something. Do you think we can sneak out of here?" 

He knew this was her way of taking care of Kevin. And as he watched her walking around the grocery store 30 minutes later, he couldn't help but see all of her concern come out through the gifts that she carefully selected, with only Kevin in mind, and put into the cart. The way a mom chooses her child a birthday present, or a ‘good job buddy' gift or just a little ‘I love you' treat. Something silly, but knowing it would mean the world to just that one person. As they weaved their way around the store, with Pam choosing random items that she knew Kevin would love, Jim could see her feeling lighter, knowing that she knew she was doing something to help him, in the way that she knew how. And it was right in that moment, that Jim knew no matter what she'd said the week before about no kids liking her, that their kids were going to love her.

Chapter End Notes:
You have no idea how hard it was to write a fic about moms, not mums. 


MrsKHalpert is the author of 37 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Any Type of Mom Really also liked 1047 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans