- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is actually the first part in the series. Once again, feedback is love!
Jim had barely been home 15 minutes when his cell phone rang. He caught it on the first ring, silencing the Mission Impossible theme before it woke up his roommate, Mark. The caller ID read 'PAM @ HOME' and Jim frowned. Angela would have just dropped her off at home; it had only been 40 minutes since he had seen them in the parking lot of Chili's.

"Hello Beesly," He said, opening his phone. "Missed me already?" He was met with silence on the other end of the phone, shortly followed by sniffling. "Pam, are you okay?" He asked as the panic rose in his chest.

"He's not here." She said quietly, through her sniffles. "He said when he left Chili’s that he was going to come home to watch the game...but he's not here." Jim sighed; he could tell Pam was still a bit drunk and now even more upset that Roy had ditched her and The Dundies to hang out with some of his poker buddies.

"Did you put your Dundie on your bookshelf?" He asked, hoping he could change the subject, take her mind off of Roy.

"I left it in Angela's car!" Pam sobbed, suddenly realizing she was without her award. Jim looked over at his car keys that sat on the kitchen counter. He could be at Pam's house in fifteen minutes, but by then Roy might have arrived and that would be hard to explain.

I'm sure you can get it from her on Monday," Jim said, walking up the stairs to his bedroom. "Pam you just need to relax, put on your pajamas, drink a glass of water, take some Advil, and go to sleep." Jim unbuttoned his shirt, holding the phone to his ear with his shoulder. As he pulled it off his shoulders a small spot on his shoulder smelled like Pam's perfume. He smiled, it must have rubbed off when she'd hugged him after she one her Dundy award.

"I just don't want to be alone right now," Pam said softly, her voice sounding very small and sad. "You won't hang up will you, Jim?" Jim threw his shirt onto his bed, scratching his chest through his white t-shirt.

"I'm not going anywhere, Bees...Pam." He said quietly. He wasn't sure why he used her first name, maybe there was something more intimate about it, wanting to make her feel...important, and not someone you just ditched to hang out with work buddies.

"Hang on, I'm changing." She said, followed by the swish of clothing. Jim's breath hitched in his throat. He willed his mind not to go there, but in the end he lost the battle, closing his eyes to picture her undressing, pulling on her pajamas, the cute red flannel ones that Phyllis had bought Pam for her birthday last year. "Are you still there, Jim?"

Jim coughed slightly, pulling himself back from his daydream. "Yeah, I'm here." He said, sitting down at his desk. There was a pause, both of them sitting in a dimly lit room.

"Jim?"

"Yeah?"

"I didn't mean to kiss you at Chili's." Pam's voice was more sober than it had been when she'd first called. Jim knew that the kiss had meant nothing, a mere accident in her excitement, but his heart sunk a little anyway.

"It's okay, you were drunk and excited." He said, maybe that would justify her actions but not his feelings. No, it would never be okay that Jim Halpert was in love with Pam Beesly.

"I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable." She said, her voice was some what regretful and that seemed to hurt worse than her not caring at all..

"Don't beat yourself up, Beesly. I know I'm irresistible." He joked, anything to light the somber mood they found themselves in. Pam laughed, a soft muffled laugh and Jim could see her, her hand covering her mouth as if she shouldn't have laughed. He heard a noise in the background, like the slamming of a door.

"Jim, I want…oh...Roy's home..." She paused. "I'll see you Monday, okay?"

"Okay, goodnight Pam."

"Goodnight, Jim...and thank you." Jim was about to respond but the phone clicked, signaling that she had hung up. Jim shut his cell phone, tossing it onto the desk. Sitting back in the chair he sighed and covered his face with his hands.


OfficeSupplyGirl is the author of 3 other stories.

This story is part of the series, Am I What You Need?. The previous story in the series is The Magic Tide Pen.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans