- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Random and short.

I.

His heart was “a deep, dark well and [he is] teetering, leaning over the edge and then [he is] falling in, down into murky water.” He compared his search for contentment and happiness to his hands pushing through the murky well water and he referred to certain times of his life as “touching wet brick, covered in moss and mildew.”

II.
Karen was “being caught in traffic on a cold winter Sunday afternoon when the sun was just beginning to set and there was this orange band across the sky and [he’s] content to sit there because there’s nothing [he] needs to do and it’s a pretty afternoon, but what [he] really wants is to be home.”

III.
From this, it can be inferred that the metaphor most often used for Pam was simply, “home.” While this is a straightforward metaphor, there have been instances in which Pam was “a backbone stretched across a hardwood floor.” Although unable to fully explain this metaphor, there was mention of laughter and how it bounces off of hard surfaces and the feel of someone else’s chest on your own, breath pulling in and out steadily.

IV.

Parking lots themselves would become a metaphor for things that went wrong, botched conversations, misspeaking, failed attempts to kiss her as snow fell against her cheeks, etc. This is a metaphor that his roommate Mark came to know well, with Jim’s response to questions about his day often being a simple, “Parking lot,” and an accompanying grimace.

V.

When she kissed him with her hands grabbing at his lapels, it was “lightning from the window seat of an airplane, all clouds and electricity.”


unfold is the author of 102 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Five Convoluted Metaphors Found Within Jim Halpert's Inner Monologue also liked 152 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans