- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

If I owned anything at all my JAM would be together...but I don't...so they aren't.

“I don’t think I can watch this anymore,” Pam said as she curled her fingertips into Jim’s bicep.

Jim shook his head in amusement and lifted the remote. He gave it a light toss in the air and caught it. All of this a flourish meant to stall…

“Wait, wait! No…I wanna see it,” she said then.

Yeah…he’d known that.

Just like he’d known when they’d accidentally wondered down the horror aisle at Blockbuster that they’d be leaving with this little gem.

“Just turn the lights on…No, no!” She said, tugging him closer even though he hadn’t moved an inch. “Keep them off…it’s scarier that way…sorry.”

“Scarier…yes,” Jim , said his voice cracking slightly in the dark. “That’s exactly what we need Pam.”

“It’s more fun this way,” she whispered, settling down. She lifted the hand that wasn’t digging into his flesh, to shield her eyes though – just in case.

“Obviously.”

“Ssssh…”

Jim looped his arm around Pam’s shoulders just as the zombie rounded a shadowed corner and claimed yet another victim.

When Pam jumped, his laughter was rich and deep. “Beesly, you are such a girl.”

It was the weirdest thing. She had this crazy fetish for horror flicks. It was something he hadn’t known going in, but he found it oddly endearing. Why she subjected herself to them though, when she was so obviously afraid, was a mystery.

“Whatever,” she hissed. “You were totally scared too…You jumped.”

“Um….ok. You would jump too if someone dug their fingernails into your side.”

“Oh my God you’re such a baby,” she said giggling as she looked up at him. “I so didn’t hurt you.”

“Wow…So you’ve suddenly developed the ability to know what hurts another person. Apparently I’m a robot, unable to feel the sensation of nails digging into my flesh.”

“Why are you talking about robots, Dwight?”

“Unbelievable.”

She laughed out loud, but then shushed him as that tell-tale music started once again…“Oh my God…oh my God do you think the zombie’s gonna catch her?”

Jim smiled. “Well if it follows the same pattern that the first 115 minutes did, then yes, I think it’s safe to say he catches her.”

It was also safe to say that Jim loved DVD Saturday. In fact, truth be told, Jim lived for DVD Saturday when it rolled around once every month. DVD Saturday was the official day that Jim and Pam dedicated to staying inside and pretty much hibernating. No meeting friends for dinner or drinks. No going over to their respective family’s houses. Not even errands…nope, it was their Saturday to do with what they pleased.

All day long, they did nothing but gorge themselves on mindless entertainment and snacks…or other indulgences. It was awesome.

Most of these Saturdays consisted of “themes”. Today’s theme had been zombie flicks.

Jim shook his head, thinking of all the gore they’d feasted on today. He combed his fingers absently through his wife’s hair. “Beesly…you’re gonna have nightmares.”

“I am not…sssh.”

“Oh…you’re not?”

“No!” She said looking up at him. “God, it happened that one time and you won’t let it go! That movie was really scary. Besides…I’m pretty sure you reaped the benefits of me being all freaked out that night.”

Jim thought back and remembered precisely what she was referring to. In that particular movie, the murderer had somehow honed in on a very particular kind of victim – virgins primarily. So even though Pam wasn’t a virgin, she thought she’d be most safe (just in case the fictional murderer found her) if she and Jim were “in the act” when he showed up.

‘It’s better to be safe than sorry,’ she’d said with a look on her face that had cracked him up and turned him on all at once. He’d been plenty game to save her from the crazed virgin murderer.

Jim held her close now. Ah, yet another reason to love DVD Saturday.

Pam sighed, as the heroine went running into the woods. She’d always enjoyed a good scary movie for some reason, but never as much as she had once she and Jim had started dating. It wasn’t like she needed an excuse to be close to him, but being able to simultaneously mock the story-or lack there of, while sitting so close made her positively giddy.

At the mere preview of an upcoming scary movie on TV, she’d suddenly feel even more amorous than usual towards Jim. For the rest of her life she’d probably associate scary movies with sex. Gosh, what a strange thought.

Jim shook his head, mock dismay filling his voice. “Pam, I don’t think she’s going to get away.”

“Oh you’re wrong Jim…this time it’ll be different.”

“Ok…I’m gonna trust you. If you’re wrong though…well let’s just say you’ll have lost my trust for life.”

“Wow…Well, I’m pretty sure I’m right.”

“Pretty sure or certain?” Jim said, wincing as the heroine ran into the old broken down shack at the end of the road. Surely that’s where she would find safety.

“75% certain.”

“Wow….that’s like the lowest estimate known to mankind.”

“A slight exaggeration Jim.”

“Second lowest.”

“Ok…better.”

“Use your head! Going into that house is not a good idea,” he said talking to the TV.

“No, no…she’s gonna be ok. Look, there’s a phone – just sitting there – waiting for her to make a call. It sure was nice of whoever left that broken down shack to leave a connected phone and….Oh, no – no dial tone,” Pam said grinning.

“Who saw that coming?” Jim asked, his voice hoarse.

Pam snuggled against Jim. God she loved him! It was truly sickening how often that thought popped into her head. She smoothed a hand over his chest.

“Oh wait…who’s that in the shadows?”

“Well Pam, I don’t think it’s Papa Bear.”

“Oh no…Jim, I’m getting a bad feeling.”

“Thaaat might just be the after effects of your spaghetti.”

Her mouth dropped open and she tried and failed to pinch him. He was always too fast for her, shifting his body out of the way. After a series of attempted grabs and misses, suddenly they weren’t so interested in the movie anymore. Their hands had gotten the better of them…their lips…

“What the heck are you doing?” Jim said, laughing around her absurdly sloppy kisses now. “God this is so dysfunctional. One minute you’re physically abusing me…and now ….sexually harassed.”

“Suck it,” she murmured, a second before their mouths connected again. “Say you like my spaghetti…say it.”

“I’m not saying that Pam, even for you…makes me uncomfortable.”

She giggled as he wrestled her to the carpet beneath them. Making out with Jim was one of her favorite past times. The main course was delectable as well, but it was just that, with Roy making out had always been a means to an end. They’d never just made out for making out’s sake. But with Jim…sometimes they’d go to a movie and she’d feel wonderful and free and young, because he’d want to sit in the back and just kiss. Or like now…even in their own home…God, his mouth….

In the dark, their hands explored territory they’d know now even if struck blind.

Pam groaned while his mouth was on her neck. “I’m missing it Jim.”

“Nope…pretty sure you found it.”

“I’m talking about the movie!.” Pam exclaimed, yanking her hands away from where they’d been.

“Me too” Jim said, looking up at her in all seriousness. “What’d you think I was talking about?” His eyes widened in shock. “Wow, you are really, really dirty.”

“What’s happening?” She said grunting as she tried to push herself to a sitting position. She blew her hair out of her eyes and slipped in front of Jim, her eyes glued to the TV once again. It was kind of fun playing hard to get sometimes…even if it only lasted a couple of minutes.

“Um…he’s catching her…” Jim said, moving behind her now.

His lips were on her neck. She scrunched her shoulders and giggled. “You’re distracting me…I rented this and have every intention of getting my money’s worth Jim.”

“Me too. What are you talking about?” he said, and then his hot breath was on her neck again. Between kisses, he started to narrate the final moments of the movie. “Looks like he’s strangling her…but um…no, no she’s getting away, she grabs the kitchen knife stabs him in the heart and oh….but wait a minute, silly girl…zombie’s are already dead.”

Pam laughed, as he lightly bit down on that spot where neck met shoulder. Oh my goodness…

“Oh no,” she sighed. “You’re right, the zombie can’t be killed. She didn’t realize…”

Jim slipped his hand up the bottom of her shirt. His fingers meeting cool skin.

Pam continued to narrate. “The cops are showing up, they’re shooting…he’s going down…”

Jim glanced up from his activities just long enough to see what was going on. “Ok…I think everyone is safe. I mean obviously a knife to the heart didn’t do the trick…but a bullet…yes, that’s obviously what they needed….Ok, the heroine is getting away, still in shock after her traumatic experience as she looks back at the house from the back of the police car…and there – just there in the window of the shack…oh no…”

“The zombie,” Pam said on a sigh, just as the music reaches a sharp crescendo. The credits start to roll, and she turns her head just slightly so that their lips meet. Tender kisses, slow and deep, there won’t be anymore distractions now. No more playing hard to get.

“Wow…that was good,” Pam said moments later, breathless.

“Me or the movie?”

“Of course the movie, Jim.”

“Oh good.”

Jim grabbed the remote and zapped the DVD player, a promo for SNL replaced the movie’s credits just before the station transitioned back to the local news anchor.

“The spaghetti was delicious…by the way,” he said casually and Pam smiled. That was his M.O. Feeling the need to let her know that he was just kidding a few minutes after teasing her about something. She never takes those comments seriously, but she loves him for being concerned about her feelings.

“Thank you,” she mumbled, and slipped her hands beneath his old college t-shirt. His heart is beating like some crazy drum.

“Ready for bed?” He asked, absently stroking her back…and there’s that gleam in his eye.

She nodded as he quickly stood up and took their dishes to the sink in the kitchen. The feature story on the news was about a woman who made baby blankets for a hospital nursery. The camera zeros in on a few of the babies, some of them so unbelievably tiny…

“Aw…that’s so nice of that lady…my mom used to do that when I was little. Make blankets for the hospital I mean. I would help out sometimes.”

“Can you sew?” Jim asked, frowning as he came back into the room. He didn’t know that about her.

“Yeah…and knit – which is what the blankets were,” she said, rolling her eyes as he stood next to the couch.

“Wow…Remind me never to show an interest in anything having to do with fabric or yarn ever again,” he said catching her eye roll. He sat down next to her. She was quite possibly the most easily distracted person on the planet. That was one thing he had learned about her.

Jim kissed the top of her head.

As the reporter wrapped up, talking about the woman and how other people could get involved in the project, Pam smiled.

Jim smiled back at her. “You could probably still make blankets if you wanted to.”

Pam made a face. “I don’t want to make anything.”

“Way to help out your fellow man.”

She giggled. “No, I just mean…

“What?” He asked, smiling as she looked away.

She smiled back after a moment. “Nothing I just…I mean I know it’s going to sound completely out of left field, but it’s really not because I’ve been thinking a lot about it lately..”

“Yes…” He said, still grinning. “Beesly, the Gettysburg had less preamble.”

“Would you freak if I wanted to make a baby?”

“Whoa!…Really just had that craving for spaghetti tonight…nothing that exotic.”

She slugged him right in the stomach.

Jim laid a hand over his stomach . Was she serious?!

“Seriously,” she said giggling after a moment.

“Seriously?” He asked, his eyes wide.

“Yeah…I mean…like what if, you know?”

“Like…now?”

“Well, I mean…I mean it doesn’t have to be now of course…”

“But it could be,” Jim said interrupting quickly. She’d gotten so much better lately with saying how she felt about something – i.e. would you freak if I wanted to make a baby? But them sometimes she’d quickly backtrack.

“It could be…now,” he finished.

“Yes,” she said quietly and then after a moment…“I’m on the pill.”

“Common misconception that you can’t stop…people compare it to crack all the time – but I’m telling you it’s not the same.”

“Are you finished?” Pam said smiling.

Jim pulled gently on a lock of her hair until it went straight, and then let it go like a spring. Curly again. And in that moment all he could think about was a little baby with her hair… Wow.

“Let’s have a baby.”

“Yeah?” She whispered quietly. “It’s a good time right?...I mean I’m halfway finished with my last course…your promotion…”

“Pam. Let’s have a baby,” he said again with a grin.

Pam nodded. “Yeah…I think we could.”

“I think we should Pam. It’s kind of our duty to the world.”

Pam giggled. “So…what, I just…we just…”

“Well there’ll be sex involved. We both seem to enjoy that…so I don’t forsee that being a problem…”

“Oh my God…seriously?”

“Seriously what?” He said laughing now.

“Seriously I…I don’t know I just…Wow – I just didn’t expect your reaction to be…I don’t know,” she said shaking her head.

“Pam, in case you haven’t noticed I don’t really take a whole lot of time to decide how I feel about something. I mean…I may have waited to tell you for awhile, but…I knew for a long time.”

She grinned, and this time when she spoke her words no longer came out in the form a question. They were certain. “We’re seriously going to do this.”

“I think if one of us says ‘seriously’ one more time it’ll qualify us for long term contracts on the OC.”

Pam shut him up with a long, deep kiss. “So…” she sighed, poising her little finger at the corner of her mouth. “How do you make a baby again?”

“Well Pam, the classic recipe has you start with what you were doing just moments ago.”

“This?” Pam asked, kissing him just to make sure.

He nodded. “That is a traditionally included ingredient, yes.”

“Baby making…how fun!”

“I know.”

“Now…if I remember correctly the recipe also calls for nakedness, right?”

“Yes Pam…yes it does.”

“Well you may have to help me with this part,” Pam said fiddling with the buttons on her jeans. “I always get so confused…”

Jim sighed even as he reached out and started unbuttoning. “Laaaaazy…Pam if you only just applied yourself.”


The End



LoveFool is the author of 48 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 24 members. Members who liked DVD Saturday also liked 2561 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Baby Talk. The previous story in the series is Pick Up Lines. The next story in the series is Upcoming Birthdays.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans